Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immigration: Does America Need a Leader like This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Immigration: Does America Need a Leader like This?

Thanks for the correction LL! Those civics classes seem like a long time ago...wait, they were a long time ago...sigh.

Anyway, I'm not certain that envoking an immigration policy that was in effect more than a century ago is practical or smart. As a nation we are significantly different in at least a couple of very important aspects. I will address just one here. The masses of immigrants who came through Ellis Island did not come to a country with a social services network funded by taxpayers. They quite literally had to fend for themselves in a very Darwinian sink or swim environment. Nowadays, many, if not most, illegals have access to social services paid for by us and that stresses what is available to our legal citizens. One can argue that that is a good thing, but you cannot deny that it is an important difference. Studies have been done showing that the money brought into the economy by the work of illegals offsets these social expenditures, but others show that we are actually losing ground.

And if you think illegal Mexicans are reviled in modern society, it pales in comparison to the prejudices against the Irish immigrants of the 19th century. Dig up some old editorials regarding the worthless nature of the Irish "breeder" from actual newspapers, for an interesting stroll down memory lane.

While we're on the subject of immigration (legal or otherwise), how many of you harbor negative attitudes towards Micronesians? It seems to me that they are the modern equivalent of the Irish to many here in Hawaii. I have found the willingness of people here to demean Micronesians disheartening. I mention this as an illustration of how easy it is for human beings to fall prey to racism and bigotry. It's a human instinct that requires vigilance to guard against and overcome.
    Last edited by glossyp; October 10, 2007, 07:23 AM. Reason: Added info for clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
      While we're on the subject of immigration (legal or otherwise), how many of you harbor negative attitudes towards Micronesians? It seems to me that they are the modern equivalent of the Irish to many here in Hawaii. I have found the willingness of people here to demean Micronesians disheartening.
      I think the subject needs a Thread all by itself.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Anyway, I'm not certain that envoking an immigration policy that was in effect more than a century ago is practical or smart. As a nation we are significantly different in at least a couple of very important aspects.
        An inspirational poem on a nationally-revered edifice isn't exactly a "policy," you gotta admit. More of an aspirational goal, in my eyes. (I must confess, I was playing Devil's Advocate to some conservative elements of our populace, who insist on pushing through legislation to make America "a Christian nation," claiming that "the Founding Fathers enshrined it in the Constitution." As a nation, we ARE significantly different, as you say.)

And if you think illegal Mexicans are reviled in modern society, it pales in comparison to the prejudices against the Irish immigrants of the 19th century. Dig up some old editorials regarding the worthless nature of the Irish "breeder" from actual newspapers, for an interesting stroll down memory lane.
        Amen to that (sez I, with my own Irish ancestry); as well as looking at how Chinese immigrants who came to work on railroad crews were treated.

We have a LOT of ugly ethnically-based periods in our history as a nation; my hope is that we can keep from adding to them at present. So many of us in this nation are descended from past immigrants that current restrictive suggestions smell of "I'm here and I got mine - now shut the door and don't let anyone else in."

Comment

The masses of immigrants who came through Ellis Island did not come to a country with a social services network funded by taxpayers. They quite literally had to fend for themselves in a very Darwinian sink or swim environment. Nowadays, many, if not most, illegals have access to social services paid for by us and that stresses what is available to our legal citizens.
          As you suggest in your next sentence, I will suggest that this IS a good thing. A Darwinian sink-or-swim model in today's America is unnecessary, as we are no longer a struggling nation in its infancy, but a thriving, flourishing superpower with enough room and resources for anyone who wants to contribute. I will further suggest that it is in our country's best interest to help these immigrants either find the jobs they are seeking or to find ways for them to gain the training they need in order to become part of the legal workforce. Shoot, just the money we save by not putting up a wall at the border should be enough to fund that, I think.

I'm not saying the issue is as simple as flinging the gates wide open, but I do not understand this weird desire to keep people out. True, I have my own biases in favor of people who come from other lands, since my mom is from Japan and a lot of the work I did in college was with international students mostly from the Pacific Islands and from Hong Kong or Taiwan, but don't we ALL know people who came here from somewhere else, who worked hard, and who are now living healthy, productive lives?

America is made BETTER by a continually changing ethnic demographic.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Does HT Need Posts Like This?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Yes.

Darn. HT won't let me post just "yes" as my response, so:

Hell yes.

...and a high-five to Mike Lowery.
            I'm with you. Come and go as you please.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              America is made BETTER by a continually changing ethnic demographic.
              As it has been since it was founded.

Comment

Working...
              X