Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare uncontacted tribe photographed in Amazon

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Stone age cultures, when contacted by modern man, suffer from a lack of 5000 years of human social evolution. Even if they survive the contact for the first 100 years, in spite of disease they have no natural resistance to, they are doomed due to a lack of 5000 years of human social evolution. This, in a nutshell, is essentially what happened in Hawaii. As has been shown in Hawaii, it is very difficult for the people to shake off the old and adopt the new. In fact, the fondness for the shadow of the past is the greatest obstacle to success in the future.
    You believe Polynesians had not experienced "social evolution"? Maybe what is hard is throwing off what is yours for what is foreign. Maybe what's is hard is accepting a new hierarchy that places you near the bottom. Maybe what's hard is embracing new values and mores advocated by apparent hypocrites.

Btw "Stone Age" hardly means what you seem to imply when there's no metal around with which to develop a technology.
    Last edited by sinjin; May 30, 2008, 12:13 PM.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      You believe Polynesians had not experienced "social evolution"? Maybe what is hard is throwing off what is yours for what is foreign. Maybe what's is hard is accepting a new hierarchy that places you near the bottom. Maybe what's hard is embracing new values and mores advocated by apparent hypocrites.

Btw "Stone Age" hardly means what you seem to imply when there's no metal around with which to develop a technology.
      Hear, hear!
      Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

I don't even get the headline - Is it rare because there are only 100 estimated uncontacted, i.e. uncontaminated, tribes as countered with the numerous that have been contaminated/assimilated? I view the rare bird as our civilization, you know, the single one that has 'integrated' all those others - now there's a real oddball in the group!
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Okay Sinjin, point taken. There probably are no social advancements within the evolution of humanity that are actually connected or related to the technological discoveries that came along with metallurgy (sp).

glurg.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Okay Sinjin, point taken. There probably are no social advancements within the evolution of humanity that are actually connected or related to the technological discoveries that came along with metallurgy (sp).

glurg.
            Please list a few "social advancements" related to metallurgy that were absent in pre-contact Polynesian society. Then we can deconstruct. I'm not trying to bait you. I just think you overplay your hand.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

This could be a movie studio promotion of the new Raiders of the Lost Ark film and a re-released DVD of an early Harrison Ford in The Mosquito Coast.

Comment

On Yahoo News, this story is revealed to be a hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post

Too funny.
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Not exactly. Hoax would imply that they were fake. According to National Geographic, they are a real tribe, just not “unknown,” as previously reported.
                    Contrary to many news stories, the isolated group has actually been monitored from a distance for decades, past and current Brazilian government officials say. No one, however, is known to have had a face-to-face meeting with the nomadic tribe, which lives along the Peru-Brazil border.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Also, it was said that they basically marketed that way to bring awareness of the damage of logging in that are or something to that effect.

Though i am bummed that they are known, it is still fascinating to me that there are groups of culture that live that way, really awesome.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Stone age cultures, when contacted by modern man, suffer from a lack of 5000 years of human social evolution. Even if they survive the contact for the first 100 years, in spite of disease they have no natural resistance to, they are doomed due to a lack of 5000 years of human social evolution. This, in a nutshell, is essentially what happened in Hawaii. As has been shown in Hawaii, it is very difficult for the people to shake off the old and adopt the new. In fact, the fondness for the shadow of the past is the greatest obstacle to success in the future.
                        Ancient Hawaiians had a very sophisticated social structure and a self-sustaining population. The lack of material like metal didn't prevent them from making good use of other materials. For example, try drilling a hole through a rock without a carbide drill. The old Hawaiians did that all the time.

A tour through the Bishop Museum will have hundreds of examples of finely carved wood and bone, all done without steel tools.

What doomed the Hawaiians were misguided missionaries, backed by a better-armed force, intent on wiping out what they saw as an immoral culture and replacing it with their own.

The same thing happened to Easter Island, the Mayans, Native Americans, etc. Entire languages became nearly extinct because a group of narrow-minded zealots decided to burn books, smash tablets and force other thriving cultures to adopt a different way of life. Not better. Just different.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          Also, it was said that they basically marketed that way to bring awareness of the damage of logging in that are or something to that effect.

Though i am bummed that they are known, it is still fascinating to me that there are groups of culture that live that way, really awesome.
                          The person who came up with this idea might have been influenced by the movie The Hoax with Richard Gere. At least this hoax wasn't covered up with lies upon lies like in the movie. It was based on a true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                            Ancient Hawaiians had a very sophisticated social structure and a self-sustaining population. The lack of material like metal didn't prevent them from making good use of other materials. For example, try drilling a hole through a rock without a carbide drill. The old Hawaiians did that all the time.

A tour through the Bishop Museum will have hundreds of examples of finely carved wood and bone, all done without steel tools.

What doomed the Hawaiians were misguided missionaries, backed by a better-armed force, intent on wiping out what they saw as an immoral culture and replacing it with their own.

The same thing happened to Easter Island, the Mayans, Native Americans, etc. Entire languages became nearly extinct because a group of narrow-minded zealots decided to burn books, smash tablets and force other thriving cultures to adopt a different way of life. Not better. Just different.
                            You know what?
                            I have to agree with all above.^

That doesn't change the fact that "now" is where were at,
                            so deal with it, eh?!

Because what is.... is.

I'm tired of looking backward to what could've been. Period!
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                              I'm tired of looking backward to what could've been.
                              But you gotta know where you been, in order to see where you are and to plan where you are going.

Comment

Yes, the past and the future are as much a part of the 'Now' as the instantaneous moment. To not consider the continuum is a false way of looking at reality; one's momentary pleasure today can easily lead to interminable misery tomorrow without due consideration of the past and for the future. As well, what was done in the past is no different from what is being done now - we are still aggressively promoting our 'one right way to live' policy throughout the world, despite any misgivings we may have for our past transgressions.
                                Last edited by salmoned; June 27, 2008, 12:36 PM.
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X