Russia trumps China's fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russia trumps China's fireworks

Interesting. Too bad we can't slap GPS units on government people.

Got any links to your sources, Kalalau?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Associated Press:
      John McCain’s chief foreign policy adviser and his business partner lobbied the senator or his staff on 49 occasions in a 3 1/2-year span while being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by the government of the former Soviet republic of Georgia.

The payments raise ethical questions about the intersection of Randy Scheunemann’s personal financial interests and his advice to the Republican presidential candidate who is seizing on Russian aggression in Georgia as a campaign issue.

McCain warned Russian leaders Tuesday that their assault in Georgia risks “the benefits they enjoy from being part of the civilized world.”

On April 17, a month and a half after Scheunemann stopped working for Georgia, his partner signed a $200,000 agreement with the Georgian government. The deal added to an arrangement that brought in more than $800,000 to the two-man firm from 2004 to mid-2007. For the duration of the campaign, Scheunemann is taking a leave of absence from the firm.

Comment

Thanks for the snippet, Kalalau. I googled it and came up with this article.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I don't see how the Republican Party could nominate him now. Truth is, this makes me pretty sad, seeing a legend go down.

Comment

So, who's really the bad guy here, Kalalau: Russia or Georgia? Do you believe Russia is in their right to invade, bomb, and occupy Georgia because they funded McCain's political campaign?
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The picture is unclear. It looks like in this case Russia may have been being a good world citizen so to speak, but that apparently Georgia provoked Russia, which would be an astoundingly stupid move. There is too much unknown now to make any firm conclusions. While this war was forming the press was preoccupied with Senator Edwards' sexual adventures, so we are very well informed on that topic but in the dark about what led up to this war.

Comment

Yet Russia is now saying the world can "forget" the previous borders of Georgia, effectively removing the breakaway Russian-supported South Ossetia region. I see no clean hands anywhere in this story.

Comment

Stalin was a Georgian of Ossetian ancestry, born in Gori. He studied for the priesthood at the seminary in Tblisi. An intersting tyrant, he stood only 5'4", wore elevator shoes secretly made for him in Germany, was often photographed from below so he looked large and imposing, was almost never photographed smoking cigarettes, he promoted himself positively in the Soviet media and was generally well loved by the population his secret police terrorized, headed most notoriously by the diabolical fellow Georgian Lavrenti Beria. If Russia absorbs the land of Stalin it may well come to regret it.

I will be happy enough if this war ends very quickly without any involvement of the US. Or further involvement.

If I were a conspiracy theory fan I would be suspiscious about the coincidence that our press began inundating us with hours and hours of distracting reporting about a years old sexual escapade of a former senator at precisely the time this curious war was beginning. And why the Georgian side is usually told sympathetically, the Russian side usually unsympathetically, and why the fact that Georgia started it by attacking Russian peace keepers is only rarely reported. If I were a conspiracy theorist I might think that our press was again letting itself be used by the White House for its own political ends. Its probably all just a remarkable but harmless coincidence. At least we are thuroughly informed on former Senator Edwards' sex life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                    If I were a conspiracy theory fan I would be suspiscious about the coincidence that our press began inundating us with hours and hours of distracting reporting about a years old sexual escapade of a former senator at precisely the time this curious war was beginning. And why the Georgian side is usually told sympathetically, the Russian side usually unsympathetically, and why the fact that Georgia started it by attacking Russian peace keepers is only rarely reported. If I were a conspiracy theorist I might think that our press was again letting itself be used by the White House for its own political ends. Its probably all just a remarkable but harmless coincidence. At least we are thuroughly informed on former Senator Edwards' sex life.
                    Pretty far-reaching for a conspiracy theory. That would mean the US led by a republican administration no longer want to ally themselves with Georgia. That would mean we better suck up to a Russia manipulated by Prime Minister Putin, who still keep the spirit of the Soviet Union alive in his heart.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                    X