Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: China's raisin'um right

I'll stick my neck out too:

Once a Chinese friend of mines was walking around in San Francisco. This young, well-to-do white woman was asking people to donate money for a worthy cause, which helps kids in third world countries. My friend was ready for his turn to be asked, but she walked right past him, and on to some white guy further down the side walk.

My friend didn't look like a penniless FOB. He wore designer clothing. He told me the experience left him feeling weird.

I laughed and told him, "Of course she ignored you. Only white people are virtuous enough to save the world. It's an exclusive club and you're not invited."

The young woman was offering to take people's money, so they wouldn't have to feel guilty. Americans have a lot of guilt. Guilt is a luxury only a few on this planet can afford.

(of course I can't claim to know what the young woman thought or believed. all I can do is call it how I see it.)
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

i dont know what makes this picture a particularly "American" trait. I've certainly not been in everyplace at everytime, but it doesn't seem like something I've seen anywhere in this country. A young kid flipping off a old person on the street. I guess it has happened, but equally I am sure it has happened in other cities around the world. Speaking of San Francisco, that is where I am from originally since 1982 when I moved there for school. I first went to live in France in 1986 and it really was the first place that I saw homeless on the streets begging, the gypsies were all over France and in Italy. I had never experienced that to a large extent even in SF or even in NYC up until then.

Also, the middle finger from what I understood is not necessarily universal in meaning something bad, unless that has changed. Also has anybody questioned the possibility of a photoshop job? The arm looks suspiciously off color to me. I just dont see this picture as being real IMO.
      n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        Haha. Such a smart@$$
        Remember how our American "peace" sign is actually offensive to Australians?

Peace out.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Remember how our American "peace" sign is actually offensive to Australians?

Peace out.
          I think only when done with the back of the hand facing out.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            That is correct.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              I thought you had to say "wanka" in an English accent in order for that sign to be offensive.

Comment

It's best done with the backs of the fingers facing your "target," and then the hand flicks or jerks up a couple of times (kind of hard to explain in text) - the British Empire's equivalent to "up yours."

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  I thought you had to say "wanka" in an English accent in order for that sign to be offensive.
                  The British say the English word "wanker" (meaning someone who masturbates) with a Brisitsh accent and it come out "wanka." I don't think it has anything to do with the Aussie "piece sign."

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I don't know if I should ask but my much too curious mind want to know...

What is the [Native] Hawaiian offensive gesture?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

A club to the skull.

Comment

Throwing a Shaka?

Comment

This ancient Hawaiian custom, lost in antiquity, was recently discovered in anthropological studies as being the source of this world wide sign of disrespect. Hawaiian warriors would line up and then make this offensive gesture to show the ultimate disrespect for their opponent. Do not scroll down if you are easily offended!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            This ancient Hawaiian custom, lost in antiquity, was recently discovered in anthropological studies as being the source of this world wide sign of disrespect. Hawaiian warriors would line up and then make this offensive gesture to show the ultimate disrespect for their opponent. Do not scroll down if you are easily offended!

Fast foward to the present where it's not quite offensive when it's done by the lineup at Femme Nu.

Comment

Working...
                            X