X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Life in France

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    ok pinkeycicle... you get it this time

Hey... since you live in Oregon...and that's on the Mainland... In the United States... You think you could tell me where I could get a good bottle of Quervo in Mexico since in Oregon theres no sales tax on things
    Oh, I know it's a stupid question but my brother is an idiot! I should have re-phrased it. He told me in France, Germany, and Italy it is the same. I just wanted to know and figured why not ask here. In the Hawaii thread!! LMBO

And yes I could tell you about tequila in Mexico...it just won't be good information! hehe

I must go hide now.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
      *Your* chickens invaded *his* property, and you filled *his* car with chicken shit? Are you kidding?

Good thing you're not my neighbor. Who needs all that pointless hostility?
      Hey Maddie...

You know chicken manure is worth serious money to farmers!

But seriously susie... couldn't you have delivered it in a bag

AND DID ANYONE VIEW the video of her home town...it is hobbitville... (not an insult..but those that want a better idea...geez...she posted this herself) http://www.rogerhallett.com

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
        Hi Susie, I was speaking to my brother in Germany yesterday and he told me it is very diffficult to buy a home there because you have to pay it off in 10 years or less or have 50% down. I googled it and couldn't find information...do you happen to know if he is full of it??
        I know you are I France but I would assume some of the basics apply there too.
        I'm not sure about Germany, but sometimes things in Britain are the same as here. We're not yet as 'together' as the United States, but there are tons and tons of rules that all of us in the European Community have to follow.

For house-buying in France, you usually need about ten percent down, and my own mortgage is a twenty year one. But I'm almost at the end, so maybe things are different nowadays...mine has five years left on the twenty years. I do know that in France (but not in Britain), you cannot take out the equity in your home and apply it to another mortgage, you have to pay off the original loan or take a loan bridge ($$!!!) if you want to change houses and have an existing mortgage.

I'm not sure, again, about German rules....but there are British people here who have bought houses in France with British loan companies. Maybe it pays to shop around?

The house market might be different in Germany. First of all, many Germans don't buy their own house until well into their forties (or at least, it used to be that way), and tend to rent til then. Britain has seen an explosion of high prices, and many Brits have sold up and come to live in the relatively cheaper France. I'm not sure if Brits go to Germany to buy...but maybe the Berlin Wall coming down and the reunification of east and west Germany and the opening up of Europe and the new member states has made a difference to German real estate habits and laws.

If you like, I can ask around and find more detail for you? I don't feel as if I've answered much for you.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Maddie...

You know chicken manure is worth serious money to farmers!

But seriously susie... couldn't you have delivered it in a bag

AND DID ANYONE VIEW the video of her home town...it is hobbitville... (not an insult..but those that want a better idea...geez...she posted this herself) http://www.rogerhallett.com
          And Roger took artistic licence with his painting...it's not nearly as big or as busy as it seems to be in the video.

Comment

My question to you susie...

What can you do to help your kids out of the pattern of abuse towards women that seems to be acceptable in France?

Do you want them to be like their father?

Serious questions need to be asked of yourself as your raising these beautiful kids. Who is watching them and what are they doing as you are posting so much on HT?

Just curious?

Comment

What can you do to help your kids out of the pattern of abuse towards women that seems to be acceptable in France?

Serious questions need to be asked of yourself as your raising these beautiful kids. Who is watching them and what are they doing as you are posting so much on HT?

Just curious?
              Manoa - I'm sorry but this seems really rude and just way out of line - even for you. It's none of your business how Susie is raising her kids or how many times she posts to HT. and have you lived in France? How do you know what the norm is there for raising kids? For one thing - she doesn't post nearly as many times as you do. You are of "Ali`i" status - hers is only "Kumu" - I would think that shows YOU are wasting more time here than Susie.

"Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                Manoa - I'm sorry but this seems really rude and just way out of line - even for you. It's none of your business how Susie is raising her kids or how many times she posts to HT. and have you lived in France? How do you know what the norm is there for raising kids? For one thing - she doesn't post nearly as many times as you do. You are of "Ali`i" status - hers is only "Kumu" - I would think that shows YOU are wasting more time here than Susie.

anapuni..

did you read the entire thread...when you have...then please re-comment...

get off my back quick...cause I started this one....

ali'i kumu...etc... I could care less what HT status I have... that is the last thing I care about... if you have read through a lot of her posts... she sounds very sincere... and I wish her the best in life.
                Hugs...

Manoa
                Last edited by damontucker; September 30, 2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Manoa - you are so cute when you're being sarcastic - I can always tell when you end your posts with "Hugs". Yes, I have been reading the entire thread - I happen to admire Susie for living in what seems to be a very difficult place and continuing on even though she seems to have no choice in the matter. Or, at least she chooses to stay to give her kids a stable environment in which to grow up. We have it pretty easy here, compared to where she is. Yes, she could make changes in her life - just as we all could. It's all a matter of choice. What might work for YOU may not be the same for her. So, trying to filter her lifestyle through YOUR lens doesn't really make much sense does it?
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just curious?
                    Hey Manoa...

I can only turn on the computer when they are at school or asleep, or like right now, at a friend's house playing. If you think I talk alot on da computer....you ought to see me in real life!

On a seroius note...I am freaked out that they might find their fathere's behavior acceptable. Or his lifestyle.

The only thing I can think to do about that is to...talk. And show good examples. And try to help them to make sure that they get a good education so that they can escape if they want to or need to. And to give them the idea that they are not stuck in any place, or in any rut. And to look at people and watch them and think about why they do the things they do. And to see that you really do have to live with the consequences of your actions.

This is hard to balance, as I don't want to turn them off...my talking tends to do that, already....I want them to have some kind of solid-kine foundations. No need to be too much from a dysfunctional family.

I think it's working. They SEEM to be confident and, as the French say, 'happy in their skins'. There's ups and downs, sure...and I guess that teenagers are teenagers, no matter what. The sad part for me is that they'll grow up and fly away. I have to rememeber that that is the goal.

The questions you ask are in my head all day, every day. I do my best, talk til I'm blue in the face, try to give them the best opportunities and experiences possible, and fight to remember that I cannot protect them from everything but that I can teach them to protect themselves.

So...whatchu tink?

Comment

• Re: Life in France

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                      No Maddie, there was no hostility...neither of us minded the chickens being at his house, or him keeping the eggs. What I minded was that he continued to accept me coming over and giving him even more eggs, and not telling me that he's already solved his egg problem.
                      How can you say "there was no hostility"? You destroyed his car! What is vandalism if not hostility?

You say you didn't mind the chickens being at his house. But if you didn't mind the chickens being at his house, you wouldn't have vandalized his car.

This situation could have been handled with one sentence: "I know you are getting eggs from my former chickens that now live in your garage. Do you still want me to give you a dozen eggs every week, or are you getting enough eggs from the chickens in your garage?"

Instead, you chose to escalate a minor situation to an act of violence. You were lucky. If you had let your chickens crap all over my car, it would have been the last time you fucked with me. Not because I'd do anything even more stupid than you did, but because we would have had a conversation that would result in greater understanding. Or I would have pounded you. (OK, kidding!)

I just don't see the point in escalating a minor situation into a violent, rude, irrevocable act like filling someone's car with chicken shit, then throwing gallons of water into it to supposedly "clean" the car. You sound like a really shitty neighbor, frankly.

I'm wondering if you were perhaps diverting some of the hostility you felt toward a certain other person in your life toward someone who didn't really deserve it. OK, so he was using some of "your" eggs. Well, your stinky chickens were living in his garage! Did he fill your car with chicken poop because of it? He probably figured the eggs you gave him were the "rent" for your chickens living in and shitting in and shedding in and stinking up his garage.

I guess I just don't understand. Maybe something is lost in the telling. Maybe he did something really shitty to you before that. Neighbor relationships are funny that way ... some minor incident will set someone off. Perhaps that is the case here?

Comment

Maddie, you'd have to understand Hans. I guess I didn't do such a good job explaining about him...he doesn't like just plain directness, it bores him. To him, life is a chess game. He's old and he's rich, and he's been fortunate to have lived a very full life. He's retold and enjoyed that story more than I have over the years. I even get people I don't know asking me if I'm the person in the story and if it's true. And he's still put-putting around in that car.

Don't worry, I am generally a kind person, and wouldn't intentionally hurt someone...even if circumstances merited. I do, however, prefer to accomplish things with either a sense of humour, or finesse...or both.
                        Last edited by SusieMisajon; October 1, 2006, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Just as people on these boards OFTEN remind those of us who don't live in the Islands that we aren't in a position to challenge "how things are done in Hawai`i," we need to remember that those of us who don't live in a tiny country village in France may not be properly qualified to judge the actions and behaviors of those who do.

The lenses of our own experiences tend to distort our perspective.

Comment

I'm not sure about Germany, but sometimes things in Britain are the same as here. We're not yet as 'together' as the United States, but there are tons and tons of rules that all of us in the European Community have to follow.

For house-buying in France, you usually need about ten percent down, and my own mortgage is a twenty year one. But I'm almost at the end, so maybe things are different nowadays...mine has five years left on the twenty years. I do know that in France (but not in Britain), you cannot take out the equity in your home and apply it to another mortgage, you have to pay off the original loan or take a loan bridge ($$!!!) if you want to change houses and have an existing mortgage.

I'm not sure, again, about German rules....but there are British people here who have bought houses in France with British loan companies. Maybe it pays to shop around?

The house market might be different in Germany. First of all, many Germans don't buy their own house until well into their forties (or at least, it used to be that way), and tend to rent til then. Britain has seen an explosion of high prices, and many Brits have sold up and come to live in the relatively cheaper France. I'm not sure if Brits go to Germany to buy...but maybe the Berlin Wall coming down and the reunification of east and west Germany and the opening up of Europe and the new member states has made a difference to German real estate habits and laws.

If you like, I can ask around and find more detail for you? I don't feel as if I've answered much for you.
                            No, no that's ok You really did answer very well. I thank you very much. I did not phrse my question well but basically that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

You know we have all these 100% loans and no money down and all that easy stuff here. So it is interesting that France doesn't do it the same way. I watch those Home Networks and some are in France/Germany...ect....like Househunters...and they always have to wait and save for years. So now I knwo why for sure!
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                              No, no that's ok You really did answer very well. I thank you very much. I did not phrse my question well but basically that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

You know we have all these 100% loans and no money down and all that easy stuff here. So it is interesting that France doesn't do it the same way. I watch those Home Networks and some are in France/Germany...ect....like Househunters...and they always have to wait and save for years. So now I knwo why for sure!
                              I think that French bankers are trying to avoid the timebomb of over-mortgaged old people.

Comment

Maddie, you'd have to understand Hans. I guess I didn't do such a good job explaining about him...he doesn't like just plain directness, it bores him. To him, life is a chess game. He's old and he's rich, and he's been fortunate to have lived a very full life. He's retold and enjoyed that story more than I have over the years. I even get people I don't know asking me if I'm the person in the story and if it's true. And he's still put-putting around in that car.

Don't worry, I am generally a kind person, and wouldn't intentionally hurt someone...even if circumstances merited. I do, however, prefer to accomplish things with either a sense of humour, or finesse...or both.
                                You do seem like a nice person.

Thanks for the explanation, and for not getting offended at my persistent questions. And I did think the story was kind of funny, too!

Again, thank you.

I'm looking forward to more stories, and next time I won't dog ya. Promise.

Aloha,
                                Maddie
                                Last edited by MadAzza; October 1, 2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X