Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Snow

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Yes it is. The AF was trying out the "snow" setting on her new digital camera, and this was the best result.Nah - we were on QA Ave as the snow started to get heavy though, visiting my mother in a care facility, but we walked home before they closed the hill. We've walked up to watch the nimrods in the past (which makes us accomplices in a way, doesn't it?) - you see that kind of stupidity once, you've seen enough.
    I am going to get you on a sled. Luge style. It will shave 35 years off your life (at least for a short time). Garans.

I have a run in mind. Short technical section (two turns) prior to a speed run. Your line in the technical section determines your speed. Important cuz the next technical section is a tightly curving left hand turn followed by a right handed hairpin turn (spray city). Then short speed section. Then walk back up the hill. Don't want to mention the canyon as of yet, don't want to scare you.

About 1200 feet total. Width of a SUV. Wicked speeds. Trees and bushes to help slow you down if you stray off the course. Wipeouts common. Overcorrection almost always disasterous. Takes a cool head to make it all the way through. No broken bones......yet.

What say you?
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
      I am going to get you on a sled. Luge style. It will shave 35 years off your life (at least for a short time). Garans.

I have a run in mind. Short technical section (two turns) prior to a speed run. Your line in the technical section determines your speed. Important cuz the next technical section is a tightly curving left hand turn followed by a right handed hairpin turn (spray city). Then short speed section. Then walk back up the hill. Don't want to mention the canyon as of yet, don't want to scare you.

About 1200 feet total. Width of a SUV. Wicked speeds. Trees and bushes to help slow you down if you stray off the course. Wipeouts common. Overcorrection almost always disasterous. Takes a cool head to make it all the way through. No broken bones......yet.

What say you?
      I'm down with that!!!!!!!

But you got to come here to Hawaii to get some real action: "he‘e holua or lava sledding"
      "You can't even imagine what it's like to be head first, four inches off the ground, doing 30, 40, 50 miles an hour on rock," Stone said. "It looks like you are riding just fluid lava. It's death-defying ... but it's a lot of fun....."
      http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/24/news/index9.html

YEE HAW!!!! BONZAI!!!! GERONIMO!!!
      Please Dear God let me live!

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
        I wish I could have taken a picture of my cul de sac tonight. Almost everyone (including adults) came out and took part in snowball fights. It was a great bonding time for the neighborhood. My guess is that we've had about 8 inches fall so far, and it's still coming down. I'm crossing my fingers that the feds shut down tomorrow so that I can stay home with the kids and go sledding.
        This may sound stupid (which it probably is), but I heard that said quite a lot "cul de sac", what does that mean??

I use to live in the mainland, in fact in Kansas, to be technical, it's a small town, probably not even on the map , called Edgerton Kansas.

I remember at one point, it snowed quite a lot, it's really pretty, but, if you get snowed in, & your driveway is packed full, You wont beable to drive out at all, & end up having to shovel it just to get out. Brrrrr.

ThankGod I live in Hawaii .

One big disadvantage to snow on the ground, if it gets too bad, you might end up having to have chains on your tires just to get around.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          A little dark, but here is our view up Queen Anne Hill in Seattle last night, just as the snow was ending:[...]
          Beautiful shot, LL.

Comment

I don't think I ever knew what a cul de sac was until I moved to the mainland. It's a residential street with an intersection on one end and a closed turning area on the other end (i.e., a dead end, but the end curves like a sac). The nice thing about living in a cul de sac is that there are fewer cars that enter the street since it's not a thoroughfare. So, it's a safer place for kids to be playing on the street.

By the way, our snow and ice has now completely melted and been replaced by fog. The dreary days of winter are back, I fear.
            Last edited by U'ilani; December 1, 2006, 07:24 PM.
            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
              This may sound stupid (which it probably is), but I heard that said quite a lot "cul de sac", what does that mean??
              It's a residential street with an intersection on one end and a closed turning area on the other end (i.e., a dead end, but the end curves like a sac).
              Exactly. The literal translation is "bottom (as in arse-end) of a sack," from the French.

Comment

By the way, our snow and ice has now completely melted and been replaced by fog. The dreary days of winter are back, I fear.
                Yes, same here... though it has been pretty sunny this winter compared to the last few. That's something anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                  Don't worry. Not knowing something means you're ignorant, not stupid. Being ignorant can be fixed.

Edit: The "cul" in "cul de sac" is the same French word as in "culotte", the women's pants.
                  Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; December 2, 2006, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    Don't worry. Not knowing something means you're ignorant, not stupid. Being ignorant can be fixed.
                    Well, I learned something new today....I thought ignorant meant this.... Ignorance 2~ is the choice to not act or behave in accordance with regard to certain information in order to suit ones own needs/beliefs."I know better but I choose to ignore that and do/say/act in a way that behooves me."

When in fact it does mean unaware of AND the above pasted meaning!!Thanks Glen for making me look it up! hehe I really didn't know!
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post

Edit: The "cul" in "cul de sac" is the same French word as in "culotte", the women's pants.
                      I probably walked into that one .
                      Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
                        I don't think I ever knew what a cul de sac was until I moved to the mainland. It's a residential street with an intersection on one end and a closed turning area on the other end (i.e., a dead end, but the end curves like a sac). The nice thing about living in a cul de sac is that there are fewer cars that enter the street since it's not a thoroughfare. So, it's a safer place for kids to be playing on the street.
                        Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Exactly. The literal translation is "bottom (as in arse-end) of a sack," from the French
                        Thanks so much for the help of explaining it for me.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

Snow on Mauna Kea
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Neat! I wonder what the temperature is.
                            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                            X