http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

KalihiBoy

Comment

Re: Wal-Mart War Room

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
      PBS is doing a story on Walmart:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

KalihiBoy
      Anybody who has an aversion to the tactics of WM really should try to watch the 2 programs listed here. They shows already aired up here on the mainland, and the parts that I saw just made me believe even more that WM is bad for the local economy and for its employees.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One of the WM heiresses got through college by having a lackey do her homework for her. And then her parents were sooooo proud of little missy's graduating from college that they forked over $2 billion to have a stadium named after her! Jeez. What would ol' Sam say? (well, I guess with a first name of "Paige" what would you expect? Sounds like she and Paris Hilton have a lot in common!)

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/34680.htm

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          One of the WM heiresses got through college by having a lackey do her homework for her.

Miulang
          he lackey was an "A" student from China.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            Ok, broke a rule of mine which dictates
            Don't go to, or anywhere Walmart.
            so, sad to say I went to walmart today.

observed:
            initally, front entrance rug was trashed. all busup arready.
            Dept on left; Hawaiian products and handcrafts.
            ok, stuff je'like da kine at Longs.
            nothing new here. Same price points.
            Aloha shirts; Only one local brand. the rest of the aloha shirts were da fake kine from Thailand. junkalunk designs. (tourists might like 'em.)

Saw some cool lookin bamboo and palm tree motif tableware; plates, bowls etc.. but upon handling them saw they were light cheap plastic. aaagh!
            MiniDv camera dept; only had a few models. Not much choice here. mo bettah li dat you go local store. savings? wot, maybe 20 bux per model...

did not notice much at all; any high quality brand name merchandise. This is the evolutionary stage we see wherein as reported on many walmart info web sites:
            WM beats the manufacturer's price down til they can not make a profit or stay in business, and when the manuf. can't lower their costs any longer, WM creates a knock off in China (or sometimes India). heck, WM does their own knockoff anyway. The name brands help to pull some customers to the location, and the cheaper WM private label stuff goes home with the customer.

I noticed much China and India origin merchandise.
            and the much ballyhooed LLOOOOWWW prices, nah. same as at Longs and Daiei.
            (which is a Walmart target; they wanna buy them out.)

Oh wait what's this? "marykate'N'ashley clothing line. A name brand. ok; upon close inspection; looked like a cheap one time use china-made halloween costume quality level piece of cr... clothing...

the WM press release quote: "This new store means that for the first time in central Honolulu, we'll be able to offer customers what they've asked for -- quality merchandise, low prices and Wal-Mart's spirit of aloha."
            this is a typical WM spin-doctor/marketing insult to merchants in the area who for years, have offered good quality stuff at good prices. and to add insult to injury, of course, the local merchants are dropping like da cockaroach on da wall hit wit da slippah.

Upon leaving the 4 story parking structure.
            Cold design. Tight parking spaces, tight lanes.

People are honking. Hate to see that begin here. Noticed an ocular products and services shop x the street with a going outta business sign.
            They been there on Keeaumoku for years.

Just don't like the idea of a huge monolithic mausoleum taking up a whole block in the heart of our Honolulu.
            State shoulda created a mini Polynesian Cultural center kine o thing on this block. Or help subsidize a local vendor/maufacturer's shop/village in the old style.

Yes, the state is to blame. They believed the propaganda; Walmart will bring planny jobs to Hawaii. Lotta tax revenue. THAT is all the state cares about. Not the repercussions.

I went to the one in Mililani but the day of my departure on the morning news show, saw sad stuff about that new place having an arrangement where the local places like Jamba Juice were told they would profit by the WM going in there but arent because of the way the doors of WM spill out into the parking area and the carts are electronically juiced up to where they lock up if you do something or other........i was like *sheesh*, thats a drag.........
            Last edited by memorylane; November 21, 2004, 05:35 PM.
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Also, was really amazed when i asked a worker how much she got an hour..........only $6 in the great paradise????? I'm not sure but it seems like thats what they start at here in plain ole Oklahoma.

Comment

Who's a keiki here?!
                I'm kumu.
                and why should we put our back to a corner?
                Keikis= children/babies.........back to your corners for *fighting*, lol

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                  Keikis= children/babies.........

Oh, is THAT what keikis.... is....

nope; we don't have that here.

back to your corners for *fighting*, lol
                  But I like fighting lol. Lol takes a punch really well.
                  Last edited by kimo55; November 21, 2004, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Kimo, you so kolohe, anden!

Miulang

Comment

• Re: Wal-Mart War Room

Kimo, you so kolohe, anden!

Miulang

eh, seestah;
                      they open the door,
                      I'm gonna walk right in.

Comment

eh, seestah;
                        they open the door,
                        I'm gonna walk right in.
                        No foget hemo da slippahs first, yeah?

Comment

No foget hemo da slippahs first, yeah?

ahv cahss.
                          'choo teenk. I steh bockatahdeh, o whot?!

sure is strange to see haoles from da mainland walk into some o da houses heah and leave their shoes on.

too bad some people don't try to learn:
                          "...when in rome..."

Comment

WM has decided to let WM employees in China organize into labor unions if they want to. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that the majority of goods sold on WM shelves are now produced in China?

Could this be a harbinger of things to come for US WM employees? You know, once the unions are allowed to organize here in this country, WM will no longer be able to maximize their profits at the expense of its employees. And in Martha Stewart's words, "that would be a good thing."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...rtner=MOREOVER

Miulang

Comment

6 bucks an hour in paradise and 6.92 here in Oklahoma.........odd.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane

6 bucks an hour in paradise and 6.92 here in Oklahoma.........odd.

uuuuh.

Why.

Comment

Working...
                                X