Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets

Originally posted by kamlost
    ahh.. They were both girls. The shop-person said it's okay to put two girls together. I guess he was wrong.

LOL! poor hamlet - did that make him well-done?
    Heh. No, more like "half baked"! I also had a gerbil named Portnoy.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Are gerbils nice as pets?

So, was hamlet the last hamster you had? What kind was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Heh. No, more like "half baked"! I also had a gerbil named Portnoy.

Miulang

as in Jeff?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          as in Jeff?
          Not unless that was the name of the main character in "Portnoy's Complaint!"

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Are gerbils nice as pets?

So, was hamlet the last hamster you had? What kind was he?
            Gerbils (kangaroo rats) are cool. They're quiet, fairly intelligent and have looooong tails.

The only reason I got Hamlet was because he was a "refugee". I think he escaped from one of the apartments above mine (I was living in a dark studio apartment in Boston at the time) and somehow managed to crawl into my place. I had 2 cats then (TC and Charley) and one day both of them went charging into the kitchen area. I followed them in to the kitchen and there, in a corner, was this hamster, standing up on his hind legs, teeth bared, front paws outstretched and these 2 curious cats sniffing the air trying to figure out what he was. I found an empty mayonnaise jar and kept him in there until I could get to the pet store to buy one of those HabitTrail environments.

When I was still on Maui, I had a white rat named Curious George, too. I got him because he was a classroom pet and no one wanted to take him home when school ended, so I hid him in a shoebox in my closet and used to sneak food in to him until one day he got bored and started chewing on the box (rats have to do that to keep their teeth from getting too long). That's when my Mom found him scampering around. I pleaded with her to let me keep him, so we found an old mongoose cage that my grandpa had made years before. You know what? That buggah was the smartest animal I've ever had! He acted more like a dog than anything else. I'd put him in the back yard on the grass and he would come bounding over to me when I called him. And he would bite at anybody else's fingers if they tried to poke their fingers through the wire of his cage. Whenever I did that, he would just grab my finger and kiss it. Cute, yeah? He finally died of pneumonia after when he was about 4 years old.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; October 20, 2004, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Gerbils (kangaroo rats) are cool. They're quiet, fairly intelligent and have looooong tails.

The only reason I got Hamlet was because he was a "refugee". I think he escaped from one of the apartments above mine (I was living in a dark studio apartment in Boston at the time) and somehow managed to crawl into my place. I had 2 cats then (TC and Charley) and one day both of them went charging into the kitchen area. I followed them in to the kitchen and there, in a corner, was this hamster, standing up on his hind legs, teeth bared, front paws outstretched and these 2 curious cats sniffing the air trying to figure out what he was. I found an empty mayonnaise jar and kept him in there until I could get to the pet store to buy one of those HabitTrail environments.
              Hahah! that sounds really cute. Great cats to survey the scene before attacking. The first time i had hamsters, they were gone the next day :\ The cat discovered their jar.

When I was still on Maui, I had a white rat named Curious George, too. I got him because he was a classroom pet and no one wanted to take him home when school ended, so I hid him in a shoebox in my closet and used to sneak food in to him until one day he got bored and started chewing on the box (rats have to do that to keep their teeth from getting too long). That's when my Mom found him scampering around. I pleaded with her to let me keep him, so we found an old mongoose cage that my grandpa had made years before. You know what? That buggah was the smartest animal I've ever had! He acted more like a dog than anything else. I'd put him in the back yard on the grass and he would come bounding over to me when I called him. And he would bite at anybody else's fingers if they tried to poke their fingers through the wire of his cage. Whenever I did that, he would just grab my finger and kiss it. Cute, yeah? He finally died of pneumonia after when he was about 4 years old.
              Very cute. That story makes me want to get a white rat. We had one when I was MUCH younger. But I got scared of it because of the tail. 4 years is a long time for a rodent. i thought they only lived a year at the most.

Comment

I've got a 5-year-old Senegal parrot named Lani Girl. She's cute but too smart for her own good-kept breaking out of a $130 cage with fancy kine food/water dishes that snapped in and out of the cage-she figured out how to snap them OUT. Finally got one cheap kine $40 cage so I can padlock the doors shut...
                Should have called her Houdini.

Comment

Does she talk? If I could, I'd keep my bird out of the cage, but i live with someone who is totally terrified of birds :/

Comment

Does she talk? If I could, I'd keep my bird out of the cage, but i live with someone who is totally terrified of birds :/
                    She can say her name and does lots of cute sound effects-laughing, coughing, microwave beeps when she sees me heading for the kitchen, squeaky doors... I caught her saying 'Whaat?' once. She's a little green tita...

I usually keep her on a Parrot Tower when I'm at home-she's out of the cage but has her toys, etc. so she's happy and stays put.

What kind of bird do you have?

Comment

I have a black myna.

What sort of toys? I'd like to get toys for this crazy one.

Comment

Any of this group of beasties panic at the thunder and lightning we're having? Tigger has gotten a lot more fearful as she's gotten older. Now she hides under beds when there's thunder or even heavy rain. We need to get supplies of tranquilizers from the vet before New Year's Eve, or we have a really shaky terrified dog. Even today she's been scared.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I have a black myna.

What sort of toys? I'd like to get toys for this crazy one.
                          I love mynahs, both the local brown variety and black ones, they're so smart and playful. When I was around 12yo my mom found a baby mynah that had fallen out of the nest, her leg was broken. She splinted the leg and we fed her baby rice cereal and diluted mynah pellets. She grew up nice and healthy except she couldn't run fast on her bad leg, so we ended up keeping her as a pet so she wouldn't fall victim to the local popoki. At first we named her Max but when she laid an egg we knew was one wahine... She was a good talker, my mom had a dachshund and every time Maxie heard the chain rattling she'd say 'wanna go for a walk?' Drove the poor dog crazy...
                          She lived to be about 8 years old.

As far as toys go, mynahs don't have the same need to chew that parrots do, but they like mirrors so they can talk to their reflection, maybe a bell or something they can hang from. Does your mynah talk?

Comment

My Mynah's very young so it's only starting to talk. He loves to shriek. And he gets very grumpy if someone is singing off key. He throws a tantrum.

How did you get to teach yours to talk? I will try the mirror and the bell.. but he will drive me insane making so much noise

Comment

If you couldn't tell by my user name, I have a 4yo poi dog...isn't she cute?

Comment

Does anyone have any solutions to the thunder/lightening question? One of my dogs...7months old just starts barking when she hears the thunder...guess cuz she doesn't know what's going on. The older dog just starts shivering and wants to hide under something. I don't really want to start giving tranquilizers. We do go out and try to calm them down by sitting with them but we're not home all the time when the bad weather comes.
                                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
                                X