Thoughts on close friends and illnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on close friends and illnesses

It's not only real life friends. Internet friends get sick and die, too...and it hurts more than you ever imagined it could.

A group of us on another board recently realized that one of our group hadn't posted for a bit. Someone had his number and it wasn't answering. Someone else had his name and finally did a search and found that he'd died as a result of injuries from a fire at his house on Christmas day. I can tell you that it was a shock.

He had been planning for his retirement and planning to have such a good time. He was a lovely man, full of words and feelings and emotions...and he loved us all as his friends, internet or real life, it didn't matter to him.

We were all so shaken. In the end, after a few days, we all grabbed a drink and headed to the chatroom and had a wake for him. It was as lovely a wake as a wake can be...between misery and tears and memories and repercussions and laughter and kisses, we all came out better people for having known him and celebrated his life and his soul and realized that we are all human and fallible, yet also human and full of needs and wants andhopes and loves.

And we all got reminded of what it was to be a human sociable animal...real life or internet.
    Last edited by SusieMisajon; January 14, 2009, 08:15 AM.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Today, Denis will have an operation to install an "esophageal stent" at the very bottom of his esophagus and extending partly in to his stomach. The cancer is at the top of his stomach and into the tube. The doctor's say he should be able to eat normally by tonight! He's been only on intravenous nourishment for days.
      Hooray! If all went well, I'm sure he's enthusiastically sucking down popsicles and jello now. Hang in there, MM. We're pulling for you and your two friends.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I have passed on my best wishes and hope from the bottom of my heart that all goes well.

Can I share this ?

Bridgene and her hubby live in Donegal/Ireland. She has waited 3 years for a gallbladder op. Often she has been in tears with the pain when she phoned me.
        We don't have health insurance here instead we have the NHS. This often means long waiting lists.
        Bridgene goes in for her op at 2.p.m. Sunday 18th Jan. Most likely a pre- op ,,, like a couple of tablets, blood tests etc.
        The main op will take place on the 19th Jan . (Keyhole surgerey is how they describe it).

Hope you all wish her and her family well during this ?

Comment

Yes! The operation went well, and the xrays agree. Cool.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Good friends are hard to come by. Friends can be closer than family. It sucks when life takes them away. Some friendships are irreplaceable.

Watching them struggle, and knowing there's not much you can do, is frustrating. Most battles are theirs alone to fight. At least you are with them now.
            Yes, MM, I SO agree with Myopic Joe's words... I wish I had a friend like you, back when I had to fight my own battle to survive. That is such a huge gift to them, knowing how much you care for them, and that you'll stand by them, even when you don't know how to help. Your loyalty, prayers, and anything you can do to make their day better... well, it means so very much to a sick person.

Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to who gets what disease or who doesn't get it... But when it happens to you or your loved ones, cyber friends or real-life friends, it can be a devastating shock. I send my love and prayers, along with everyone else's here... and hope you will keep updating us with good news. Take care, much aloha.

Comment

Working...
            X