Toad Poisoning
    Feline Liver Flukes

http://www.petsonthego.com/imphawaii.html
    Quarantine info for inbound pets

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied
    Re: Threats to pets?

When I interviewed for the Gas Company back in 1982, our safety manager asked me if I were driving a truck with a heavy payload and a dog wandered in front of my vehicle, what would I do? The two choices were swerve and avoid hitting it, or hit it?

I answered, "hit it". He asked why. I responded when carrying a heavy load, I would lose control of my vehicle as the weight shifted during this evasive action. If I were in traffic or if there were pedestrians, my out of control truck could seriously injure or kill others.

That apparently was the correct answer.

I've seen a driver avoid hitting a mongoose on the road by instinctively swerving...into oncoming traffic, making that vehicle swerve into the shoulder which happened to be a sidewalk with pedestrians on it. Those people had to jump out of the way. All because of a mongoose.

As for cats playing with centipedes, I don't worry about it simply because they don't seem affected by them. As a matter of fact, cats are a great way of keeping them away. Toads are dangerous to dogs. My stupid dog still doesn't get it and tries to bite those toads at night even after doing so several times and me washing his mouth out...repeatedly. At night I leash him up near the house instead of in the yard where they tend to hang out.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Not only do you worry about what your pets are eating... sometimes you worry about your pets getting eaten.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/haw...jail_time.html

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Cars are the biggest threat to pets in Hawaii, every day dozens of pets are hit by cars, and many are killed or seriously injured. I've seen cars not even try to avoid animals, in fact it seems like they deliberately try to run them over.

My cats play with centipedes without any harm, and don't mess with toads. A bigger danger is access to poisonous materials. In the last 2 years I've had three stray cats get sick and sicker and finally die due to some kind of poison. The Vet says probably someone in my neighborhood left out a pan of anti-freeze, which is evidently fatal to cats.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable talk about toads; my dog stays away from them.

K

Leave a comment:

• buraian-kun
    started a topic Threats to pets?

Threats to pets?

Just wondering...

What are the hazards to domestic pets living in Hawaii? I remember reading something about toads that are particularly poisonous. What about the centipedes and scorpions? What about things cats or dogs might try to eat? How do you protect the little guys?

Cheers,
    -Brian*
Working...
X