Your First Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your First Job?

Geez!! How many first time jobs did you have? Man if I could get 60-cents per power tool I sold I could make more than I earn hourly at Home Depot!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Never saw this one before. Learned a couple of amazing things here!

My first job, at 16, was as a frycook/counter boy at Burger Boy Drive In, Waimalu, across Kamehameha Hwy. from the (then operating) Primo Brewery. $1.25 an hour.

In later years, it was sold and converted to Zippy's Waimalu, across from the former Primo Brewery, now the site of Best Buy.

Second job, started on opening day at Holiday Mart in Pearl City in the snack shop making ice cream cones, hot dogs, soda, chips. Eventually started cooking stew, chili, hamburger steak and selling plate lunches for them! Starting pay, $1.40 an hour!

Third job: Opening day salesclerk, Liberty House Pearlridge.

Fourth job: U.S. Navy submarine sonar technician.

After Navy, fifth job (and first of my current line of work): Paste-up artist and stat camera operator for Sunbums.

(Imagine my shock finding out that Kimo55 was a photographer!) I am still in touch with a couple of the old guys I worked with back then, including John Berger (entertainment writer for the Star-Bulletin) and Mark Coleman (business writer for the Star-Bulletin). And now, I can add Kimo55 to the list. He's still around.
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post

My first job, at 16, was as a frycook/counter boy at Burger Boy Drive In, Waimalu, across Kamehameha Hwy. from the (then operating) Primo Brewery. $1.25 an hour.
        I must have eaten one of your hamburgers! That used to be one of our regular hang-outs.

Comment

My first job wasn't until I grad high school. It was fixing stereos at a TV Repair shop.

That only lasted a few months. I wasn't hard up for cash until my freshman year in collage, got a student job doing AV stuff. It was decent, but just try staying away after lunch to run slides for a 3 day conference on fertilizer. (I kid you not!)

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            I must have eaten one of your hamburgers! That used to be one of our regular hang-outs.
            Nah, you from that side?!

Funny, my partner Hal and I used to finish work at Burger Boy, then drive down the road to Scotties or Bluebird in Pearl City to eat!

Comment

Aside from the traditional, adolescent babysitting jobs (50¢/hr!), my first 'real' job was during my sophomore year in high school (1959) as a clerk at Sprouse-Reitz five and dime store. I made $1./hr. and thought I'd hit the jackpot. I was saving for a car for when I got my driver's license the following year. I succeeded!

Comment

first job:selling pet supplies at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet on the weekends (during high school)
                next: screen printing t-shirts (mostly Hawaiian Island Creations) during the holiday season (during college)
                next: interning for a photographer (this is when I decided that I did NOT want to become a professional photographer) (also during college)
                next: selling art supplies at Hawaiian Graphics in Kalihi near Honolulu Community College, was there from 1988 - 1994 (during college and beyond)
                finally: got hired by the United States Postal Service in 1994 and am still there (14 years in March)!
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

McDonalds in Kahului. I worked flipping burgers (and apple pies, and McNuggets, et.al.). Very good experience.

Comment

during high school my first job was working as classroom cleaner which was sweeping up the room and collecting the garabage left in the wastebaskets. My route was 6 rooms on one floor plus a portable classroom. I often get asked to do the adjoining building if the other cleaner calls out.

Comment

Selling bathing suits to tourists. Some of them really should have stayed in their street clothes.

Comment

Picking up trash at the local carnivals and fairs. It was hard, stinky work but full of great memories!
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

when i was 14 i managed to deliver on bicycle two paper routes for the orange county register. we lived in san clemente and i rode from the north end of town to capistrano beach everyday after school and in the mornings saturdayy and sunday....that was 200 papers and i was paid 200.00 that was good money back in 1969. i think it was about 25 miles roundtrip each day.
                          amazing what you can do when your young...oh yeah somedays i pulled a homeade trailer for my surfboard and surfed halfway thru the route for 30 minutes or so....that was when boards where big and heavy too.
                          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Funny, my partner Hal and I used to finish work at Burger Boy, then drive down the road to Scotties or Bluebird in Pearl City to eat!
                            Actually, the food at Burger Boy was only ordinary. We mostly just met there to decide what we were going to do next that night ... usually going to Scotties or Shakey's or somewhere else. It was kinda like the drive-in meeting place in "American Graffiti."

But back to being on topic (which I forgot to do), my first "real" job was at a furniture shop in the Mapunapuna area in the 60s. There were a lot of us high school kids, or kids just out of high school, working there, but since we were under 18, it was illegal for us to operate the big power machines, so we had to wear red T-shirts to identify us. We were known as the "Red Shirts."

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              Actually, the food at Burger Boy was only ordinary. We mostly just met there to decide what we were going to do next that night ... usually going to Scotties or Shakey's or somewhere else. It was kinda like the drive-in meeting place in "American Graffiti."
                              Oooh YEAH!!! I miss Shakey's Pizza. Spent many, many nights there.

Comment

Oooh YEAH!!! I miss Shakey's Pizza. Spent many, many nights there.
                                Yeah Shakey's on Rycroft street. So dark inside you couldn't tell what you were sitting on, on those wooden tables.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X