X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Still Free?

Originally posted by mel View Post
    [...]
    3. Free Music: Yes, legitimate free music is out there if you know where to look. The exciting new TheSixtyOne.com has tons of free songs to download for free. Amazon.com gives away a number of free songs every week.[...]
    Amazon.com currently has 500 free songs to download!

Comment

Valet parking at Neimans

Comment

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...freebies-2010/

Other free stuffs.

Comment

The Internet and Hawaii Threads.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            7. Free software: And yes there are tons of free software out there ranging from word processors, web browsers to complete operating systems. They vary in quality and complexity, but we are talking about "free" here, so you can't be choosy. Don't expect free Windows XP or Vista or free Mac OSX.
            Hmmph. I don't agree with this implication that a free Linux, free X Window system, free compiler suite, and many, many free high quality systems and application programs are inferior in quality to MS or Apple stuff that you must pay for.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
              Hmmph. I don't agree with this implication that a free Linux, free X Window system, free compiler suite, and many, many free high quality systems and application programs are inferior in quality to MS or Apple stuff that you must pay for.
              Hear hear! Software that costs $$$$ doesn't always mean that it is better than its freeware competitors. Give me Avast! antivirus basic any day over a resource hog like Norton, or an inadequate piece of crap like McAfee.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I occasionally use my FREE UBUNTU partition on my Mac OSX laptop. If I got one of those "cheap" PC netbooks I would dump Windows and install Ubuntu. It's a nice little OS. I am not a fan of Windows.

On another note.

Starbucks and McDonalds in Hawaii now offer free wifi.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

i'm a die hard openoffice fan; that is a great product that will let you create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. and let you view ms office word files, xcel files, powerpoint files, modify them and save them as ms office files if you like.

i totally love the open source software philosophy....

amazon's free shipping if you spend more than $25 is definitely a motivator for me...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Shaveice...does OpenOffice open .docx files?

Comment

does tutusue rock the house? absolutely!

"Microsoft Office 2007 Import Filters

In addition to read and write support for the Microsoft Office binary file formats (.doc; .xls, .ppt, etc.), OpenOffice.org 3.0 is now capable of opening files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc.). Thus, OpenOffice.org users can interact with users still using Microsoft Office. The various filters for the Microsoft Office file formats also make mixed environments possible, so that some users stay on Microsoft Office while others use OpenOffice.org. "

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.0/

did i mention that it's FREE?!?!
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Open Office is available for Mac OSX.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...officeorg.html
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

www.archive.org vast resource of past arts +

www.wolfgangsvault.com limited free streaming of great 60s-90s live music

www.britishpathe.com vast resource of past video +

Melveen Leed @ Int. Market Place/Waikiki - Saturday's 10-1pm

Hawaiian music/hula @ Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center 6-7pm Mon. - Sat.
                          Tuesday's you get the band with Jeff Au Hoy on steel guitar

Bishop Museum/Iolani Palace on kama'aina day
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Do they still do the free "Hawaii Calls" show in the courtyard of the Ala Moana Surfrider? They did 4 years ago. We still talk about it.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

You probably caught a brief attempt to revive the program, and must have been more than just 4 years ago...
                              The original Hawaii Calls show ran longer than any live/international radio program and may still hold that record, from the 30s into the 70s, and was hugely responsible for the success of many positive things Hawaii/an.

The Natatorium restoration would be perfect to resurect a Hawaii Calls/Hula Show in place of the pool.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X