Hawai`i Maritime Center closing May 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai`i Maritime Center closing May 1

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned this story from Satuday's Advertiser:

Bishop Museum closing maritime center
    Main Kalihi campus will also close on Tuesdays; layoffs, furloughs ahead

Citing a difficult economy, a drop in visitor arrivals, dwindling state grants and a poor return on investments, the Bishop Museum decided yesterday to close its main facility in Kalihi every Tuesday and shut down the Hawai'i Maritime Center at Aloha Tower.
    The changes are to take effect on May 1.
    The museum also will lay off and furlough an undisclosed number of staffers, said Blair Collis, museum chief operating officer and senior vice president. Collis would not say how many of the museum's 215 employees would be laid off or how much money the museum would save with the cuts.
    This is the second time in less than a year that the museum has initiated budget trimming measures. In June, the museum laid off 14 people, or 6 percent of its staff.
    "The economic downturn is affecting us as visitors are not coming, the cost of doing business has risen and there have been cuts in state funding," Collis said. "Mostly, it's because of the loss of some state funding and the stock market crash affecting our investment income."
    (...)
    On average, only about 40 to 48 visitors pay the $8.50 adult admission fee at the maritime museum each day, compared with 509 visitors daily at the main Bishop Museum.

This is horrible news!
    First they lose the Falls Of Clyde and now the entire Maritime Museum! Arrrggghhh.
    (Disclaimer: I have a wee bit of vested interest in this, since I'm in one of the photographs in the Maritime Museum.)
    I hope that our own MenehuneMan is safe from any cuts at Bishop Museum. And I wonder if any or all of the Maritime exhibits will transfer up to the Bishop, or if they'll let folks walk away with things like they did with the Falls Of Clyde.
    Losing all of this Hawaiian maritime history just SUCKS.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Just more of the same old song...

...which is probably why nobody jumped on it.
    The BM seems to have had a long history of insufficient management and have been losing important aspects of the Hawaiian history they have been intrusted to all along.
    I'm sure there are many positive points to commend them on..., but the flip side of the coin which we are now seeing all too often is not pretty.

To lose at least two important teaching tools like the uniquely historic FOC and the (not that old) HMC deserves some serious scrutiny from more than just the public. Something stinks in Kalihi, besides the Tamashiro Mkt. dumpster.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Hawai`i Maritime Center closing May 1

Bishop Museum's original press releases says the Maritime Center closing is temporary.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

That sounds good, but...

...there are/were only two staff personel there already for the whole joint, and after being down for X amount of time, it'll take a lot to get it back in opperating shape.
        And besides, how can we trust what they say after such rife deceptiveness, and misappropriation of funds, concerning the FOC?

The BM may be in dire straits and sinking faster than the ship.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Bishop Museum is a privately-run institution, not federally/state operated. Like virtually every other company/organization out there, BM is feeling the effects of the economic downturn. Look around you. Almost every business that depends on tourism is cutting back on staffing and resorting to cost-saving measures to weather this economic storm. Instead of poking one's nose through Tamashiro's dumpster, I suggest you check out the museum itself. I drive by there nearly every day. The visitor parking lot usually has only a handful of cars outside on the weekdays. And we all know the overall tourist count is down.

In these tough times of dwindling revenues and cash flow, CEOs and directors everywhere have to make tough decisions, and BM is not immune to this. Temporarily closing the maritime center may be a necessary measure to prevent further cutbacks to the museum's main operations, which has already seen layoffs in staff and, for the first time that I can ever remember, closing of the public exhibits one day a week (Tuesdays).

In case anyone is still ensconced in an ivory tower, this is yet another sign for ya that the economic crisis we are in is real.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I had some errands in town today and took advantage of that to make a stop at the Maritime Center, which I desperately wanted to do before they close.
            Just one person working there, and he rolled his eyes when I asked about the closing allegedly being temporary. He thinks it'll be permanent.
            Part of the problem is that many of the items in there are on loan and their owners will likely ask for them back before they 'vanish' (like many of the items on Falls Of Clyde vanished). If that happens and if the maritime center actually does re-open some day, how much will be missing? Bummer.
            I was there for about an hour and a half, and only saw two other people. I bought some items at the gift shop, in a presumably vain attempt to show support. No discounts on the gift shop items yet. They close in two weeks, so that surprised me a bit.
            I took my camera and took lots of photos, some of which I'll post tonight or tomorrow in the Photo Sharing thread. And yes, I got some good photos of that one photo in there in which my handsome face ugly mug appears.
            Enjoyed the display about the late Bob Krauss. Well done.
            I was also saddened to see Falls Of Clyde still sitting there, falling even further into disrepair.
            It really really ticks me off that we're going to lose the maritime center. It's such an important part of Hawaii's history!
            If you've never been, or haven't been for a while, GO NOW before it's gone forever.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hello everyone,

What this news below means to me is...
              I have to adjust all my guys and myself to a 36 hour week = less pay. I figured it out for the best compromise already but sheesh.

Also a few folks from different departments, I will miss too!
              Oh well, such is life. I may need to get a part-time job or better one.
              I do love the museum though.

Bishop Museum Reduces Staff and Hours
              Bishop Museum today announced it has implemented its next step in a restructuring plan described in a media statement issued on April 10th to better position the institution in these continued adverse economic conditions. The plan included a reduction of its hours of operation, closing to the public on Tuesdays beginning May 5th and temporarily ceasing public hours at its Hawai‘i Maritime Center effective May 1st. It also included reducing 19 staff positions and moving to a 36 hour work week. These reductions represent approximately 8% of the Museum’s total staff and included both management and non-management personnel. These measures are expected to save the institution approximately $1.8 million in its next fiscal year budget..

THEY say it's the operational costs that are killing us and that we can't raid the special funds for specific renovations. Sooo...
              Just to clarify, I don't work at the Maritime Center. Bummer to see of it's possible demise.

Aloha and all the Bestest,
              Jeff aka.-Menehune Man
              Last edited by Menehune Man; April 26, 2009, 01:15 AM. Reason: Just to clarify...
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

MM, I have been wondering how this news affects you and was hoping you were not one of the unlucky ones to lose their job.

I just sent in my annual BM membership dues and a little something extra as a donation. It really wasn't much but was all I could spare.

I do love the museum but I haven't visited in a while. I'll have to try and get there soon - unfortunately, I don't have time to go to the HMC again before it closes.
                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                X