Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOH/FIA card services - Haw. Air : BEWARE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOH/FIA card services - Haw. Air : BEWARE!

At first we were quite pleased with our new Visa Card. It got us Hawaiian Air miles with every purchase, so we used it for every opportunity.

We have a credit rating that matched Tim Geithner, at least, We paid our bill IN FULL every statement. We were ideal members.

In September, we approached our credit limit and tried to make an interim payment to address this - $6,000.00 - via an electronic connection.

Days later we were told that our payment was rejected, and that a $6,000 CASH ADVANCE! WAS POSTED TO OUR ACCOUNT ON THAT DATE.

OK. We put away the Uzi's, until we heard about the interest and 'other' charges that would be accrued to our balance.

At this point we were not even presented with an invoice for charges: we owed nothing until the next pay date. We were trying to be nice

Then we online scanned our account, and saw we owed $9,150+, and tried to make a payment via phone. FIA Card Services Mixed up our HELOC routing number with our ASB account number, and of course it was rejected. The first time may have been our fault, but this time it was FIA who mixed up the numbers.

Again, reversal of payment and subsequent cash-advance interest charges.

We tried to communicate, but everyone we spoke to was unsympathetic. Or ignorant.

A manager said that he would be glad to make adjustments, but BOH (Bank of Hawaii) said that two bounced payments (whether it was their fault or ours) would initiate a six-month suspension.

In one month, we were charged over $170 in interest charges based on the alleged, illegal, and illusionary cash advances.

Naturally, we are in the process of closing our account and terminating all relations with BOH and FIA. We think we were unfairly targeted. After years of perfect relationships, suddenly we are targeted with extreme violations.

Before you get a Hawaiian Airlines Visa card from bank of Hawaii, think twice.

They ripped us off after we had been exemplary clients for years.

You may have better luck, but don't count on it.

I want this to extend out into the internet, to warn others. Any help? Suggestions?

Is there a banking regulatory agency? We been screwed.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; October 9, 2012, 08:46 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: BOH/FIA card services - Haw. Air : BEWARE!

I also had problems with my BOH charge card. They made an arbitrary reduction of my maximum credit limit (they cut it in half), with no advance notice, due to "current economic trends". I was not late in my payments, and have excellent credit. Their timing was horrible, it was right at Christmas, when I'd already been shopping, so I was stressing on if I'd suddenly be "over my limit".

They have a right to reduce the credit limit. I was OK with that. (What do I care - I have lots of credit elsewhere.) What was NOT OK was how they sprung it on me. When I called them to complain, it was obvious I was just another "number" to them, and no matter that I've had that card with a great payment history for FOR OVER 2 DECADES!

After that, I figured out that it was just an illusion that I had a long-standing relationship with that bank. MY illusion. They evidently could not care any less if I remained a customer or didn't. When it was time to do a mortgage refi, one place I did not bother checking with was BOH, I wanted to work with a bank that I felt actually cared if I was a customer.

Funny how it is the impressions of how we are treated over relatively small things that make us shy away from wanting to do business with someone.[Businesses, are you listening?]
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      Funny how it is the impressions of how we are treated over relatively small things that make us shy away from wanting to do business with someone.[Businesses, are you listening?]
      Far too many businesses tend to forget that it is not necessarily their product that customers choose them for, it is their service. For products, you may have much competition - but if you provide good service, customers will stay with you no matter how much better rated or better priced your competitor's product is.

Then again, there is also a large market of shoppers (as we know from some HT members) whose only concern is "where do I get the cheapest" whatever, and thus brand loyalty or respect for service is irrelevant.

Comment

I've had a checking account with BOH for over 40 years, but I terminated my Visa account and savings account over an issue something like yours -- an irregularity that wasn't my fault and that they were absolutely no help with. It was annoying. Being a long term customer apparently just doesn't count for anything with them. However, their computers that handle my checking transactions are easy to get along with -- no special service charges, for instance -- so I don't plan to change that.
        Greg

Comment

I'm pleased to hear that we were not an isloated incident, but instead were victims of "We are THE BANK, and you petty humans don't count."

It was nice getting the Haw Air miles, but it's just not worth the hassle.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            "We are THE BANK, and you petty humans don't count."
            As addressed in song by Cheryl Wheeler

Comment

Working...
            X