Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Tentacles. Local Rip-off.

pzarquon: " I doubt they're in a hurry to repaint their trucks..."

"they" being "Hawaiian Telcom" of The Carlyle Group. Not that Verizon and before that GTE were not of Carlyle; both were, increasingly in stages. Only now with its newly named HiTelcom does Carlyle Group (motto: "Global Vision. Local Insight.") raise its hydra-headed (Hydra but for the monster's immortal center head) corporatist body of elitists' anonymity self-assuredly casting its shadow over Hawaii so as to see be seen, listened to, and, above all, obeyed; the latter activity being Hawaii state and county elected and unelected officials' bending over, bending whatever, facilitating whenever, to please The Carlyle Group--"
    Our mission is to be the premier global private equity firm, leveraging the insight of Carlyle's team of investment professionals to generate extraordinary returns across a range of investment choices, while maintaining our good name and the good name of our investors ". Extraordinary returns to anonymous investors? What a pile of stink!! "...maintaining the good name of our investors...". For all the public knows such investors could have "good names" like: Marcos, Suharto, Pahlavi, Somoza, Pinochet, Bush, Cheney.

If Carlyle does not just flip its HiTelcom for "extraordinary returns", slithering again to below the Hawaii populace's radar where The Group is most comfortably acquistive, manipulative and profitable (at other's expense, of course) ,,, perhaps they will repaint their free-of-license-fee vehicle's for their employees at the company's property-tax-free properties. Costs of such paint jobs would surely show up as costs to be borne by HiTelcom customers.

Go to a county's tax assessor's records and see what GTE/Verizon/HiTelcom has ever paid in county property taxes. Yet, the "pubic utility" (owned by anonymous people) pays great sum$ to advertise to promote their monopolistic image.
    Last edited by waioli kai; July 1, 2005, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Telecom: The Transition

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Ok...due to the vulgarity of what happens next, you have the option to read it at http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn
      Ooo, love your Web site! F*** this and damn that, and at the end, "In the name of Jesus, amen."

you so funneee, girl!

Comment

I found out that we can get DSL out here in the sticks. We had been connected via satellite $$$Starband$$$. DSL is sooo much nicer (faster) and cheaper than Starband yeah!!! Whoever is billing us for the service...don't really care.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Just received our Hawaiian Telcom White and Yellow Pages directory.

What's the deal with the cover photos? They're out of focus (which looks unintentional), it's cropped poorly and why show a picture of Waikane ridge on a cloudy day? It is possible to get a rainbow without clouds behind. I've done it. The photo of the couple on the beach looks like one of those "just take this picture for the hell of it" kinda' shots.

Wouldn't have paid a penny to have those developed. Seen camera phones that take better pictures.

On the plus side, it's good to see the white and yellow is SEPARATE now. Handicap folks (like my aunt with arthritis) will rejoice!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My memory might be kind of fuzzy on this but I sort of remember that when white pages and the yellow pages were seperate books they were roughly the same size. Now the yellow pages is way bigger than the white pages, however both sets put together is about the same size as last year's edition.

Comment

A big step for Hawaiian Telcom comes this weekend, when the proverbial switch will be thrown.
              Hawaiian Telcom has spent more than $100 million and a year's worth of work leading up to something that will happen in a matter of seconds this week. It is the handoff to local personnel of back office functions that Verizon Communications had moved to the Mainland back when it owned the phone company here.

The back office, for a telephone company, includes everything from human resources to payroll to billing, and as a practical matter in this particular case it also included directory service, which will move back to Hawaii for the first time in years when the switches are thrown Friday.
              There's an interesting note for those here who've been trying to figure out problems with their DSL connection:
              ...Hawaiian Telcom did add a new function, giving its call center personnel some diagnostics for people running into computer trouble while engaging in Internet telephony. The thinking, executives said, was that even if the computer trouble was not Hawaiian Telecom's issue, it was better to dive in and help fix it than to lose business because of it.

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Telcom: The Transition

The thinking, executives said, was that even if the computer trouble was not Hawaiian Telecom's issue, it was better to dive in and help fix it than to lose business because of it.
                Sheesh. Somebody figured out that the customer wants something and doesn't much care who provides it. Kinda like Borders saying "no, we don't have that, but Native Books might."

Good for them, if true.

My connection wouldn't work this morning, but after an hour or so on dialup I tried it again and it took (so far). I think I'll try going by the HawTel store at Pearlridge this afternoon and see how much hassle replacing the modem might be.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I'm one of those people who uses a mail client, and the instructions seem straightforward, but so far when implemented don't work. I think I'll give them a few days and try again, since there's a 30-day forwarding policy for old Verizon mail.

And now the HawaiianTel.net website seems to be swamped; at least, it's not responding.
                  Last edited by Linkmeister; April 1, 2006, 07:12 AM. Reason: Add website info

Comment

I've let everyone in my address book know of my new email address already. I haven't done anything to my own computer. This morning I tried to forward an email from my 'puter to the "new" address and then clicked send/receive nothing has come back to me, yet. I shouldn't be receiving any emails to my old account and sure hope I do get them at the new?! I'll call them later on today when I get home. I had called about mid-month last month and was told that I shouldn't have to do anything. But it looks like I may have to anyways.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

In theory all you have to do is change the incoming mail address from "incoming.verizon.net" to "mail.hawaiiantel.net" and the outgoing from "outgoing.verizon.net" to "smtp.hawaiiantel.net" but (at least in Eudora) you're then prompted for a password, and despite my trying both possibilities as mentioned on the Hawaiiantel.net support site, it hasn't taken.

Comment

Make sure your USER NAME under your server settings for both outgoing
                        and incoming is "username"@hawaiiantel.net. It won't work if you do not
                        do this.

If anyone needs assistance in the changes..please message me.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

This link may help too..
                          http://hawaiiantel.com/Residential_I...nsition_02.htm
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I got HawanTel DSL but I've been using and will continue using gmail.com for my email account. Why? Moa easy.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I just gave doc1456 a call (left a message), because I really don't know what I'm to do to get my outlook express to switch over to the new email address. My friend who has moved to the mainland, built my computer and set it all up for me. You guys say just do this or that, but it all sounds like Fijian to me. Meaning I recognise the words, but what it all means, I don't know. So I need a person to do it for me. As long as the 'puter starts up and does the simple things I ask of it I'm okay.
                              Help!
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I've had to help two of my parents friends with the e-mail switchover..oh joy..
                                It wasn't too hard for me, but it can be confusing if you are a novice.
                                Also it is best to activate your verizon e-mail address. Remember in thirty
                                days all your Verizon e-mail will dissapear.

Also I found out that next Saturday, HT will have their homepage setup
                                so you can manage your account.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X