Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Speaking of which, the old headquarters for KHON used to be somewhere on Auahi Street, what is located there now?
    KITV, KHON, I get them confused. One was located at the bend in the road. The other was on Ala Moana. They were practically neighbors.

Comment

KHON was at the bend. Mauka of the IBM building.

KITV was on Ala Moana. Things changed a lot there but I think it was located right where the new condo is on the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post

KITV was on Ala Moana. Things changed a lot there but I think it was located right where the new condo is on the corner.
        Wasnt KITV located where the Nauru Tower is now?

KHON sure didn't have to move very far from its former location.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post

So was KHON on Auahi or Queen street since that bend actually marked an intersection between the two.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You mean BEFORE the area in which Pier One was built, the buildings that housed Crazy Shirts, Ku'Aina, etc. (since demolished and relocated across the street)? This I don't know. Can anyone confirm what was once at that location?

Come to think of it I dont even recall what once sat where the Ward Theaters are now? Old warehouse buildings?

I had a gut feeiling all along that Walgreens since they planned to open so soon after Tower's closing, that they would keep the original structure intact, which they did.

Aj
            What sat at the area now known as Ward Cinemas was part of a strip mall housing the likes of Singer.

What I find truly amazing is the shear amazement itself of finding bones anywhere in Kakaako.

I've worked in Kakaako for over 22-years and have always known the entire area was a mass graveyard. When they built the building that houses Bank of Hawaii on the corner of Ward and Ala Moana, they found a ton of bones. Thousands of people were buried in Kakaako after an 1853 small pox epidemic made this mass burial necessary.

It's no big secret. Anyone who has worked in Kakaako will attest to the many haunted stories that abound in that district. The Gas Company building is one of those places where there are real ghost stories. I've heard and seen things at that place. Just ask anyone who has worked there from the early 90's and back about the Kukui Nut tree/Kamakee street widening project/Rolando's death.

Rolando or Roli as we called him was told to thin out the kukui nut tree that was growing on the corner of Kona street and Kamakee street to make way for HECO's power pole relocation that was in the way of the Kamakee widening project fronting the Gas Company. He butchered it.

He ended up in Queen's hospital the next day with a high fever that the doctors couldn't diagnose. After the tree trimming some of workers who had no parking stalls would arrive early in the morning (before sunrise) to get the best parking spots, one of which was right next to the Kukui Nut tree. One worker who was sleeping in his car awoke feeling as if someone was staring at him. He gazed at the street and stared right at the trunk of the tree and saw three human faces staring back at him. These faces were eminating from the trunk of the tree itself. Yes he was scared sh*tless.

A few days later the tree came down and work on excavating the HECO underground vault commenced. Some big Hawaiian guy was inside the trench when he bolted out of that hole like a scared chicken saying he saw three faces staring at him as he cleared away mud at the bottom of the vault.

Another day a Hawaiian Telephone worker was in the vault and was emerging when a passing car ran over a rock and sent it flying towards the worker. The rock hit his head but he survived.

Meanwhile Rolli was getting worse and a Christian Minister was brought into his room to give him his last rights. Alone with Rolli, he ran out of the room in a fright leaving the staff stunned.

A Hawaiian Kahuna was brought in and he too couldn't handle what had taken over Rolli. A third Kahuna, a female woman finally rid Rolli of the spirits but it was too late, Rolando died.

A blessing was directed at the site of that tree to ask for forgiveness. We never knew if there was peace brought on at that site but there were several stories of hauntings at the Gas Company's Kamakee building.

One year one of the secretaries there was concerned about strange goings on in the women's bathroom in the ground floor offices saying the lights would come on and the radio inside the bathroom would be on when she would come to work (she was the last one out and the first one in). Over the next few months she would keep insisting on seeing a fleeting image of a woman in and around that bathroom.

We had no reason to doubt her as she was highly respected at this place. Our boss held a blessing and while there I was asked to take a few photographs of the blessing. For kicks I decided to load up my Olympus OM-2SLR with some Kodak High-Speed Infra Red film to catch anything.

I had done "Questioned-Document" Photography before for people where I have used infra-red film on pictures of gravestones resulting in heat traces of hands where no one has touched.

When I had the film developed, I went to my light box to review the black and white negatives. I nearly dropped my jaw when I saw the images of everyone in the reception inside the offices...except for the one secretary that had seen the ghost woman. She was lit up like Christmas tree. Only her...and one image in the background coming from the back most room of a human figure standing in the doorway.

Because negatives show everything in opposite, I developed the negatives into prints and was stunned at the aura that was surrounding this secretary and this glow in the shape of a human figure in the background with no descernable facial or body features, just a glowing shape of a body.

Apparently her mother had died a few weeks before the initial sightings...yeah chicken skin!

Oh yeah and before Pier One was a computer store called ComputerLand (or something like that) and before that I believe that area was a blocked off area ending Kamakee street that was the E.E. Black truck yard...I think.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 21, 2007, 01:29 AM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Oh yeah and before Pier One was a computer store called ComputerLand (or something like that) and before that I believe that area was a blocked off area ending Kamakee street that was the E.E. Black truck yard...I think.
              Computer City was the original occupant of the Pier One building.

Comment

Hey, before they open, did Walgreens perform an environmental impact statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                  wasn't that the lot that was demolished and they found all those bones? I think they were building a whole foods there.
                  There was bones found at the Keeaumoku Walmart site and I think they're still in containers at the site. Bones were also found at the Ward Site where Whole Foods is supposed to open.

Lots of burial sites and spirit/ghost sightings on Oahu.

The Airport ghosts/spirits are very active gates 6 and 34 known for spontaneous toilet flushings and faucets going on and off on its own.

Comment

So was KHON on Auahi or Queen street since that bend actually marked an intersection between the two.
                    1170 Auahi was the official address for KHON.

Aj

Comment

I seem to remember this is the same “bend” where former KHON reporter and one-time Honolulu City Council Chairman Jon Yoshimura was involved in a traffic accident that brought his political career to screeching halt. This article confirms Aj’s recollection.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by bluecrushkid View Post
                        There was bones found at the Keeaumoku Walmart site and I think they're still in containers at the site. Bones were also found at the Ward Site where Whole Foods is supposed to open.

Lots of burial sites and spirit/ghost sightings on Oahu.

The Airport ghosts/spirits are very active gates 6 and 34 known for spontaneous toilet flushings and faucets going on and off on its own.
                        yeah, the bones are in those air-conditioned trailers on the Piikoi side of the wal-mart building I think. You'll pass them as you leave the parking structure on the ground level and head towards Piikoi (I think the street is actually sheridan). The trailers will be on the right side nearest the bus stop looking place with an island and covered seating like tourist busses usually drop off at.

Comment

Tuesday's edition of the Honolulu Star Bulletin had an insert for Walgreens.

Comment

So, who's going to the grand opening (11/01)?
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I will after I finish work tomorrow evening.

Comment

Wasnt KITV located where the Nauru Tower is now?
                                Very close. Nauru Tower's location takes up a spot that used to have some two story walk-up apartments.

Comment

Working...
                                X