Walgreens in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

I checked it out late Sunday night at about 10:30. There was plenty of parking right at the store at that hour, but I snagged that first metered stall right in front of the door.

My overwhelming sense while I was in there was that it felt like being on the mainland. That wasn't a bad feeling; it was just different. The prices were definitely lower than at Longs, but definitely higher on most things than at Wal-Mart. There seemed to be a few things there I had never seen elsewhere, but what they were escapes me right now.

In the center of the store is the self-serve coffee / Icee / soda fountain / hot water for instant ramen island. That was pretty cool, and I grabbed a 32- or 44-oz drink (I couldn't tell from the cup) for $.99 to sip on while I wandered through the store.

I bought ponytail holders, the drink, a three-cup rice cooker, and a few other things for twenty bucks and change.

I love Longs, and I know where everything is at the Longs near my house; that familiarity is valuable to me. However, if the new store in Kalihi has good parking and good hours (the Longs across the street is open until midnight, which is great, but it opens at seven, which stinks!), it's going to be a regular stop for me. I'm tired to death of dealing with parking at Kam Shopping Center. The parking there doesn't suck, but I do find it wearisome.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I went to Walgreen's last week. It's like a typical drug-pharmacy store similar to Longs IMO. I noticed some price differences and a few funky products for sale like oversized remote controls and MP3 players. I ended up buying a bottle of vitamins as my first purchase there. Parking is not a problem for me as I live close by and walk there like how I always did when the building was Tower Records.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        I went to Walgreen's last week. It's like a typical drug-pharmacy store similar to Longs IMO.

I think, for all practical purposes, they are about identical.

Comment

Ok, went into Walgreens finally on my way home from work. I needed a picture envelope. I felt really claustrophobic in there. There were a lot of "excuse me. excuse me! gomenasai!" 's going on.

I was the human pinball, bouncing off of people and smashing people with my backpack and apologizing. Finally got to the photo envelopes and got to the REALLY LONG line at the register that snaked into a busy isle. The line moved fast though, and a few of the cashier ladies were hot, so that helped pass the time. They need to put a stop light in the isles of that place!

Overall, my shopping experience was good and the photo envelope was like $1.20 .

Comment

one notable thing about the walgreen's on koreamoku-- they carry a certain something that was previously available only online to hawaii connoiseurs of a certain type:

inspiral condoms.

i'd link to it, but i'm at work.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bumpy View Post
              I think, for all practical purposes, they are about identical.
              Not really. I feel like Longs' at Ala Moana got more inventory than Walgreens at Ala Moana/Ke'eamoku.

Yeah, I've been there last week.

I really can't say that Walgreens actually "wow" me. With the icee machine, it looks more like someone took 7-Eleven and Longs' and mash them together.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Its a small Walgreens.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  Its a small Walgreens.
                  Well being that it used to be Tower Records and the space they were working with converting it into a Walgreens location is going to look small in a sense.

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Not really. I feel like Longs' at Ala Moana got more inventory than Walgreens at Ala Moana/Ke'eamoku.

Yeah, I've been there last week.

I really can't say that Walgreens actually "wow" me. With the icee machine, it looks more like someone took 7-Eleven and Longs' and mash them together.

Yes thank you, Walgreens vs. Longs Drugs may share similar things in stock but few others like groceries , canned goods I say Longs has the upper hand. And that location has Cafe W?!?!? The only location that has Cafe W here in CA is up in Berkeley which is in the East Bay.

Originally posted by Punaluu_kid View Post

In California they have Long's and Walgreens both, and I like them both. I like Walgreens, the story on 'em I heard was they refuse to sell alcohol because the family that founded it had a son die from a drunk driving accident. Walgreens is often open late, and the people who work at 'em are always nice.

Longs is NOT everywhere in CA. I noticed that there is nooooooo Longs in the City of San Francisco unless there is one hidden but you can find Walgreens all over the place. Walgreens is like the equivalent of those ABC Stores. There is one on each block.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                    Its a small Walgreens.
                    A new trend: Smallgreen's.

Comment

Meh. It's Walgreen's fault they didn't want the old GEM/Grocery Outlet location on Dillingham.

BTW, I didn't get a good look around the store, but where is the drive-thru pharmacy access?

P.S. Anybody got any scoop on who will be leasing the former Grocery Outlet space?
                      Last edited by Random; November 17, 2007, 11:50 AM.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I`ve never been to Walgreens b-4, I hear ones coming up in Lahaina. Went shopping at Long`s in Laguna hills, big difference from Hawaii stores. Pretty empty and only had one cashier on working. Maybe cause was on weekday!
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                          I`ve never been to Walgreens b-4, I hear ones coming up in Lahaina. Went shopping at Long`s in Laguna hills, big difference from Hawaii stores. Pretty empty and only had one cashier on working. Maybe cause was on weekday!
                          I dunno if it would be worth driving from Central Maui specifically just to go shop at the Lahaina Walgreens, though!

Gotta admit the Longs in Maui Mall is getting kinda long in the tooth, though. They need to remodel it.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, I only go Long`s Maui Mall for by beer cause most times stay on sale. Gotta go early morning to avoid all the collision in the store. That Long`s sucks cause so small the store. I think that store almost 40 years.
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                              Yeah, I only go Long`s Maui Mall for by beer cause most times stay on sale. Gotta go early morning to avoid all the collision in the store. That Long`s sucks cause so small the store. I think that store almost 40 years.
                              The ones in Kihei and Lahaina Cannery Mall are much nicer and bigger.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I was not impressed by Walgreen's in Honolulu. Same parking problems Tower had but with more traffic. Narrow crowded aisles and EVERYTHING made in China. One and done on that location

Comment

Working...
                                X