This is the reason why a strong labor movement is necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is the reason why a strong labor movement is necessary

do they have a labor union for self-employed hack writer/musicians? if so, i've already paid my dues and i want my pension! i'll settle for health coverage and free cable...
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

I also agree, this is a very bad move by Aloha`s new mngt. Feel really bad for all those loyal employees who are giving back all they can to make Aloha shine. This management team better get their act together or it`s curtains for all those involved with Aloha Airlines. So What Now???? Pilots hu-hu, Flights delayed. Flight Attendants hu-hu, Bad service aboard. Ramp agents hu-hu, Lost luggage or Damaged. Get a grip Aloha, you once had the ball rolling back in the 90`s. I don`t want to see my friends come home from work from Aloha all fustrated because of all the bad vibes they get from mngt.
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        When I got hired where I currently teach, I was weighing a few different options, so the principal who eventually hired me offered to move me two steps up the pay scale. Based on my experience and ability, I was worth that much more to this school and the school was free to express that. That never would have happened if the faculty had been unionized.

I don't think it works in education.
        The organizations and companies that treat their employees fairly don't have to worry about unions muscling in on their territory, Scriv. I mean, why would employees be against management if they perceived they were being treated fairly? There are LOTS of nonunion companies who treat their employees well, and the hourly people wouldn't want to organize. I think where unions are necessary is when employees who work their butts off to make the bottom line look good are treated like chattel and not as a precious resource.

You're lucky you had an administrator who knew your true worth and was willing to pay you accordingly. The way unions suck is everyone gets raises in a contract---whether they deserve them or not---but it's going to be up to the management and union working together to weed out the undesirables. I think there must be a way to reward unionized people who go the extra mile, as opposed to those who just do their job, because it does neither the company nor the union any good to not reward the high achievers. It affects the bottom line of the company and the reputation of the union to let this continue.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          The organizations and companies that treat their employees fairly don't have to worry about unions muscling in on their territory, Scriv. I mean, why would employees be against management if they perceived they were being treated fairly? There are LOTS of nonunion companies who treat their employees well, and the hourly people wouldn't want to organize. I think where unions are necessary is when employees who work their butts off to make the bottom line look good are treated like chattel and not as a precious resource.

You're lucky you had an administrator who knew your true worth and was willing to pay you accordingly. The way unions suck is everyone gets raises in a contract---whether they deserve them or not---but it's going to be up to the management and union working together to weed out the undesirables. I think there must be a way to reward unionized people who go the extra mile, as opposed to those who just do their job, because it does neither the company nor the union any good to not reward the high achievers. It affects the bottom line of the company and the reputation of the union to let this continue.

Miulang
          Excellent post miulang. I was going to elaborate but you really did a good job.
          GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
            I also agree, this is a very bad move by Aloha`s new mngt. Feel really bad for all those loyal employees who are giving back all they can to make Aloha shine. This management team better get their act together or it`s curtains for all those involved with Aloha Airlines. So What Now???? Pilots hu-hu, Flights delayed. Flight Attendants hu-hu, Bad service aboard. Ramp agents hu-hu, Lost luggage or Damaged. Get a grip Aloha, you once had the ball rolling back in the 90`s. I don`t want to see my friends come home from work from Aloha all fustrated because of all the bad vibes they get from mngt.
            Maui boy, the employees, while frustrated with managements flip-flopping, are doing the same professional job as always. If anything, we are even giving MORE aloha right now as word travels fast and this is a small State. I think its best to let management get all the bad press. The employees will shine no matter what. We seen these CEO's come and we seem them go. Aloha is my airline not theirs! Pilots and FA's may be hu-hu but no flights are being delayed because of us!

Example; I know of a few minor write-ups that happened throught the week on Oahu and the issues are solved and the flights still are getting out on time or even the standard 5 minutes early. Being delayed means we dont get to go home on time either you know!
            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrivener
              When I got hired where I currently teach, I was weighing a few different options, so the principal who eventually hired me offered to move me two steps up the pay scale. Based on my experience and ability, I was worth that much more to this school and the school was free to express that. That never would have happened if the faculty had been unionized.
              Originally posted by Miulang
              I think there must be a way to reward unionized people who go the extra mile, as opposed to those who just do their job, because it does neither the company nor the union any good to not reward the high achievers.
              Some union contracts include a clause that allows for employees to negotiate above and beyond the pay scales set on paper. And just because a company is unionized, it doesn't mean management can't reward employees who do good work. We're not talking monetary bonuses, but there is something to be said for a few days of comp time or an extra couple of hours of "overtime" here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                do they have a labor union for self-employed hack writer/musicians? if so, i've already paid my dues and i want my pension! i'll settle for health coverage and free cable...

It's called BMI or ASCAP. I'm sure there's others but these are two of the biggies.

And Scrivener...I agree that the unions can keep their own down simply by virtue of their collective bargaining. There were so many times I wanted to improve our testing procedures but was ridiculed by management telling me that's not my job and that all I'm supposed to do is to do and not think.

And that's from some 25-year old "fresh outta college newbie" who hasn't had any practical experience in the industry or in life telling this college educated union guy a thing or two.

As much as I appreciated the union, it did inhibit me from aspiring in The Gas Company. 22-years of experience with practical and education in the propane and natural gas delivery/calibration experience simply walked out the door when I quit. I had enough of banging my head against a concrete wall. My union couldn't support me because I wanted to go beyond my job description. TGC wouldn't support me because I was unionized. My job required me to carry my union card and the company wouldn't hire me unless I did join.

Now I do consulting work in the field of liquid metering and calibration as well as fuel distribution systems to anyone who wants to pay for my services. I had to wait one year because of TGC's non-disclosure agreement, so I just sat on it and waited.

I also agree with Scrivener that I'll never join another union because on one side you try to do your best, but there's always the slacker who just irritates everyone because their not doing their part in making that company an efficient one. And that guy probably has more seniority than you and there's no way to get promoted because of it.

Unions serve a purpose, but if you're a self-starter you'll soon learn to hate them
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  It's called BMI or ASCAP. I'm sure there's others but these are two of the biggies.

Unions serve a purpose, but if you're a self-starter you'll soon learn to hate them
                  i'm with both, and they've never done a damn thing for me...i don't hate anyone, excepting that "o'neill" guy on CNN or whatever he's on...

the only self-starting i do is pretty much here on HT and with my songwriting and performance proclivities...the rest is dictated by deadlines and down-beats...

but sweet jumpin jesus, CW, you've got it right...
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

I didn`t mean to offend the superb workers at AQ. I know it`s ALL YOU FOLKS that make ALOHA AIRLINES SHINE.... It`s just fustrating to see all of you have to deal with the B.S. while mgnt. TAKES EVERYTHING from all you loyal employee`s. Believe me It`s hard to see this happen to such loyal workers. I have family and friends working for AQ, and I can feel their resentment towards the clowns that now are getting whatever it takes from the workers. Remember back in the early eighties when Aloha almost went under. I don`t think us local folks can deal with no Aloha Airlines. This is the airline I always fly on, because of the caring workers at ALOHA....
                    ALOHA KAUHANE KAU MOKULELE
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                    X