X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by zztype
    Nope. That was Pirate Bully Hayes. No doubt in my mind. I am old enough to have, uh, visited that establishment on occasion. And I used to get my used car parts from the Waiau junkyard behind it and to the right.

Buzz's came later, and was built up the hill on Ka'ahumanu St. And when they sold Pirate Bully Hayes to the Zippy's guys, the Pirate moved up the hill down the street from Buzz's. It was up there that somebody tossed a grenade. (Just happens I WASN'T there that night! But I could have been.)

I grew up in Waimalu, so that whole area is my stomping ground.

I just couldn't remember the name of the moving company. And I should remember because I used to work with M. Dyer's daughter, Mari.

Blaine
    Aha..I knew it was Buzz's. I called Buzz's and the girl told me the original Buzz's in Pearl City is where Waiau Zippy's is now. I too grew up in Waimalu but you got 6 years over me since you are 6 years older than me. I work with your classmate Allan Perreira. Pirate Bully Hayes took over the original Buzz's after Buzz's moved to Kaahumanu St. I heard the grenade explosion that night since I lived in Waimalu Gardens on Ponokaulike St. where the freeway is now being widen. Buzz's moved to Kaahumanu in the early 70s and Waiau Zippy's came up around 1979. Where you used to work Burger Boy became Waimalu Drive-Inn for less than a year then Waimalu Zippy's opened in 1972. Now there are 4 Zippy's in a 2 mile stretch on Kamehameha Hwy. from PearlRidge to Pearl City.
    Last edited by na alii; December 2, 2005, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Re: Amusement

Originally posted by Pomai
      Regarding skating places, my vague memory recollects the Waiau location was called SKATELAND. They had a huge Star Wars X-Wing Fighter suspended from the ceiling.

Also in Waipahu there was SKATEWORLD.

What about Gibson's SKY SLIDE in Mapunapuna. Anyone remember that? If memory serves me right, patrons were given pieces of carpet about the size of a boogie board. You would lay on the carpet and slide down this huge fiberglass-constructed slide with divided lane gutters.

Still surviving and thriving is ICE PALACE in Stadium Mall (near Aloha Stadium). As in ice skating rink. I've had my share of spills 'n chills there. Lotsa' fun!

Just across Stadium Mall, where KMart now operates was the ever-so-memorable CASTLE PARK.

These are the features I remember about Castle Park:
      • The Castle Entrance - Within this structure were an array of video games & amusement games. Surrounded by the castle was a water moat that had a river which led to a fountain in the parking lot.
      • GoKart Race Track - Located to the left as you entered past the Castle, over the moat bridge. A paved miniature track lined with tires. The GoKarts ran on low-horsepower 2-stroke engines. We used to watch for the fastest car from the race before us and "race" to get that car when our turn came up.
      • Batting Cage - Located behind the GoKart track, the cage had an automated pitching machine that you could set the speed. We used to always max it and try to whack line drives towards each other.
      • Miniature Golf - Located to the right as you entered past the castle, over the moat bridge. 2 course levels: beginner and beginner wannabe. Lots of whimsical miniature structures to putt your way through. Kolohe kids never understood the "putt" concept. Only "DRIVE".
      • Rapids Bumper Boats - Located straight and to the left as you entered.
      • Water Park - Located straight and to the right as you entered. They had a simulated "sandy" beach and all kinds of whimsical playthings in the water area, like slides, water guns 'n stuff.

The closing of Castle Park bummed lots of folks out, including myself.
      I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me prove a point to some friends who are non-believers. Back in the 70's there was an amusement park like shop in Ala Moana. It was located near Farrell's (possibly where Champs is now) I've asked several people who grew up here and no one remembers it. There was only one person who remebered it.

There was a boat ride and ferris wheel and games that you could play in there. I am trying to get proof to prove to my friends that I am not imagining things and that it did exsist.

Comment

It did exist..I took my son, neices and nephews there on many occasions.

Aunty Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The little amusement park like place at Ala Moana Center was called "Keiki Land". I think Farrells was right next door and a few spaces down was the Patty's Chinese Kitchen location before it moved to the present food court.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Amusement

Originally posted by rasa
            I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me prove a point to some friends who are non-believers. Back in the 70's there was an amusement park like shop in Ala Moana. It was located near Farrell's (possibly where Champs is now) I've asked several people who grew up here and no one remembers it. There was only one person who remebered it.

There was a boat ride and ferris wheel and games that you could play in there. I am trying to get proof to prove to my friends that I am not imagining things and that it did exsist.
            Keiki Land was where my uncle used to take my sister and I there during small kid time.

Comment

Thank you very much...

Comment

Originally posted by rasa
                Thank you very much...
                Nooooo...that's Lex Brodie's!

Comment

Hi all,

I've noticed that my book, "The Companies We Keep," has been quoted four times at HawaiiThreads, but this is the first time I've joined the discussion.

I do have some information on some of the companies that have been mentioned in this thread:

Hauoli
                  The Doo family owned the Hauoli stores in Kaneohe and Pearl City. Doo Wai Sing started Hauoli, which means “happy,” in 1902 as Yat Loy Co. which means “welcome” in Chinese.

Doo was able to negotiate 25 year leases at his stores which was wonderful until they ended and the company could not afford higher rents.

Grandchildren of Doo Wai Sing own Tapestries by Hauoli and Hawaii Hurricane Popcorn.

Cornet
                  Joseph Cornet was a Belgium-born merchant who escaped Europe just before World War I. His first venture, an Arkansas farm was a dud. Not to be deterred, he opened a soft drink stand and later the first Cornet 5-10-25¢ Store in Covina, California in 1923.

By 1929, he had six Cornet stores, but when the depression started, he sold all but the original store. He could not find a buyer because of a large chain store across the street.

To compete, Joseph Cornet became a discounter and found it was a winning formula. He built up a chain of 138 stores in nine western states and retired to Hawaii in 1956 but continued to open new stores.

Cornet’s first store in Hawaii, in the Aina Haina Shopping Center, opened in 1957. In 1958, a second store was opened in the Kaneohe Shopping Center, and soon after, opened in Wahiawa, Waianae, and Kailua.

The variety store competed with such stores as F. W. Woolworth and Kress. However, by the 1990s, sales dwindled, and the stores closed after a 35 year run in the islands.

Columbia Inn
                  There is still a Columbia Inn in Kaimuki. Columbia Inn was founded by brothers Frank Kaneshiro and Fred “Tosh” Kaneshiro in 1941 on Beretania Street.

The Columbia name sounds patriotic and American, but it came from Colombian Coffee bags, son Gene Kaneshiro told me. “My dad used to say that good coffee and good restaurants go together.”

In 1964 Columbia Inn moved to the “Top of da Boulevard” - 645 Kapiolani, next to the newspaper building. Interestingly, the site they occupied had been the Times Grill since 1939.

The Times Grill was the predecessor of Times Supermarkets.
                  The Teruya’s, who opened Times, and the Kaneshiros were both from the hamlet of Oroku Aza in Okinawa,

At one time, Gene Kaneshiro counted 72 Hawaii restaurants from people of that hamlet. There has been over 250 restaurants since the 1920s started by Okinawan’s in Hawaii. Zippy’s, Flamingo, Like Like Drive Inn, Shiro’s, Wisteria and KC Drive Inn to name but a few. Most sold American food, because that is what people wanted.

Other well-known companies that have closed since 1980 include:

Alex Drive Inn
                  Andrews
                  Arakawa's
                  Bagwells 2424 (Bagwell was Chris Hemeter's middle name)
                  Bon Appetit
                  Bobby McGee's
                  Carol & Mary
                  Dutch Girl Pastry Shoppe
                  Ethel's
                  Fishmonger's Wife
                  Following Sea
                  GEM (Government Employee Mutual)
                  Gibson's
                  Holiday Mart
                  Ja Ja
                  Jolly Roger
                  Lyn's Delicatessen
                  Ming's
                  Musashiya
                  Pearl City Tavern
                  Pocketbook Man
                  The Pottery
                  Round House (Now Bravo)
                  Salerno
                  The Secret (formerly Third Floor)
                  Spats
                  Spindrifter (formerly Reuben's)
                  Strawberry Connection
                  Suehiro (name means "further expansion in the future")
                  Swiss Inn
                  Washington Saimin (it and Boulevard Saimin inspired McDonald's to serve saimin)
                  Yick Lung
                  Yong Sing

I have a list of 200 more in my book.

Mele Kalikimaka,

Bob Sigall

Comment

• Re: the Companies we Keep

Bob Sigall! What an honor to have you join us here!

I've repeated time and time again how wonderful your book is. In fact, today after work I'm gonna' go to Borders and buy 2 more copies for Christmas gifts to give to a few relatives. The perfect gift idea!

The most interesting story I found in your book was the info' that Bob Sevey gave about the late Lucky Luck. My family knew him personally and have fond memories of his Okole Maluna bar in Hawaii Kai.

Anyhow, great to have you here!

Mele Kalikimaka,
                    Pomai
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Indeed, Bob, thanks for joining the conversation! I'll definitely have to seek out your book. It's fun to talk about stuff like this, but it's great to know that a comprehensive and interesting resource exists out there.

Thanks for the additional notes and names... is the old Times Grill you mention related to the coffee shop in Kailua?

Comment

I know this is a really old thread but I remember a store called Arakawa's in Waipahu - its where I furnished my first little house back in 1963 in Wai`anae!

Fran
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                          I know this is a really old thread but I remember a store called Arakawa's in Waipahu - its where I furnished my first little house back in 1963 in Wai`anae!

Fran
                          Arakawa's long time gone but fondly remembered by everybody! Now in it's place a Samoan Church.

BTW: per Mr. Bob Sigall Columbia Inn
                          There is still a Columbia Inn in Kaimuki. Columbia Inn was founded by brothers Frank Kaneshiro and Fred “Tosh” Kaneshiro in 1941 on Beretania Street.

This Columbia Inn was located where the Chinese Cultural Center is now. Infact, right in the corner nearest the Bus Stop by River and Beretania. My parents brought me there when I was young...I loved to eat their Hamburger Steak. I also loved their jello with whipped cream. Ahhh...the memories!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Re: Arakawa's

Originally posted by anapuni808

Fran
                            I think it was the only place (besides Sears Ala Moana) where Cub Scout moms could get the uniforms and equipment... in the 60's anyway.

Comment

anyone know if kaimuki sundries still around? used to go there all da time back in the day.

also what they got in mililani now? big changes since '96 [last time i visited out there]? i heard theres a theater there now.

and whats dis? you town folks get one walmart now? Unreals.

Comment

Originally posted by stumphurple
                                anyone know if kaimuki sundries still around? used to go there all da time back in the day.
                                Yes...Kaimuki Sundries is still around. At least if you are thinking about the one on Waialae Avenue. In fact I was just in there the second week of this past December..I bought a can of Pepsi and a 2 tablet package of Tylenol..I came down with a nasty headache while waiting for an eva-bound #1 bus. The place is kind of funny...it appears that their main selling focus are those plastic-wrapped packs of between two to five out-of-date girlie magazines or those football "Gold Sheets" (Tips and odds sheets for upcoming football games). Other than those items, there isn't a whole lot more in there. I'm not even sure if one can buy an SB or Advertiser in there; I think you have to go out to vending box right outside of the establishment.

Comment

Working...
                                X