Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Target coming to Hawai'i?

Originally posted by SouthKona
    If they build a Costco in Hilo, there won't be any reason to go to Kona.
    now, that... is a sad statement that speaks volumes.

Comment

OK...time to put in my "vote".....the commercialized places that I head to whenever I go to the mainland (which is rarely) are:

Victoria's Secret (luckily I can order stuff online easily enough)
      Target (love those clearance items at the end of the aisles too)
      Olive Garden (can sit there and eat salad, soup and breadsticks endlessly)
      Deep dish REAL Chicago style pizza

HOWEVER...I would rather be here ANY day and not have any of those than be on the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        now, that... is a sad statement that speaks volumes.
        yeah but...have you been to Kona lately?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          yes. to pay obeisance at the Ahu'ena Heiau,
          and while I am in the area, visit Puuhonua o Honaunau.

Comment

I hate going to Honaunau.

As a woman, I would never run my hands over a ki'i, or even touch the pa pohaku (rock walls). I understand that when I see someone who has made some thousand-mile journey to drink in deeply of the mana that exists there that they mean no harm, but for me I regard it as fooling with a heiau, or treating it like a field trip to the zoo, and I could never ever do that. And I have never gone there without experiencing somebody in a leotard getting into their personal tantra mode. To see those New Agey things happen at such a sacred place triggers a panic attack in me. I have only been there a handful of times in my adult life, and it takes a lot to get me to go.

Same goes for Puukohola. I am not the keeper of Kukailimoku. It is best for me to stay away.
            Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; January 21, 2006, 03:29 PM.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              OK, guys, if Target ever gets a toehold in Hawai'i, you will never want to go back to shopping at WalMart.
              I used to live near and shop at the original Target discount store in Roseville, MN. Hard to believe its a bigger retail empire than K-Mart now. It used to be our little local chain. Eh, I'm not much of a consumer, though...unless I'm in Ross or Marshall's.
              Last edited by beaker; January 21, 2006, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                We call it, "visiting Konafornia".

Comment

Not that it means anything but did you know that
                  the former CEO of Target (female) moved here recently?
                  She no doubt has something to do with the store coming here.
                  Probably has a few shares...

Comment

About time now my mom won't need to have a couple of waihine friends who live on the mainland go Barbie shopping when they end up in the clearance section at 50-75% off. Through the years they must of brought her over 200 barbie dolls or doll sets.

Comment

A quick ping to an old thread... does anyone know if the Target at Bougainville (the old Salt Lake Costco location) is a done deal? There's a Pacific Business News blurb (the rest of it now behind the pay wall) that says Target is considering a spot on Kalaeloa Blvd., but says it's for a second store. Did I miss news of the final location of the first?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        The addition of Target to the retail mix in Hawai'i would please many residents, especially well-traveled kama'aina and Mainland transplants, who have long desired for Target to open stores here.

My girlfriend, who is originally from New York, was very pleased when she heard the news. Well, pleased is probably an understatement.

Comment

Miulang
                          The addition of Target to the retail mix in Hawai'i would please many residents, especially well-traveled kama'aina and Mainland transplants
                          yes, and as we alll know, here in our lil fragile ecosystem known as Hawaii, it is of prime importance to satisfy those mass consumers who consume mass quantities of consumer products hopefully also packaged in overly packaged packaging. We should have EACH and every retail chain here. and every few miles from each other, to also please those who are accustomed on the mainland, to having each and every chain store in every town they pass through.
                          Welcome to San Fernando Valley, Honolulu. Please honk your usual amount as you pass through Wilshire-Kapiolani.
                          What?! walmart is missing something I bought in socal and it wore out 4 months later and i can't get it here?! target usually has it! Where's Target!
                          Target stopped carrying it!?
                          hey. Just saw a new chain on the mainland; SprawlCo. THEY must have it, and maybe 38 cents cheaper! Bring em here! That will please me. Goddammit! I wanna be pleased!

ok. Got it. Don't post sober.

gotta remember that. This californication of Hawaii is drivin me to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            yes, and as we alll know, here in our lil fragile ecosystem known as Hawaii, it is of prime importance to satisfy those mass consumers who consume mass quantities of consumer products hopefully also packaged in overly packaged packaging. We should have EACH and every retail chain here. and every few miles from each other, to also please those who are accustomed on the mainland, to having each and every chain store in every town they pass through.

gotta remember that. This californication of Hawaii is drivin me to drink.
                            Um ... so .. all those dinners and drinks you have been the beneficiary of at mainland-based chain restaurants and bars were ... what? Or are you different from "those mass consumers"? Please, explain!

Gosh, I need to check my Visa bill. I could have sworn ...
                            Oh! Oh, now I get it. Whoever pays is the evil, mainland-chain-supporting asshole. That would be me. Got it!

Please tell me how I can make penance. I feel so guilty, and also, my credit-card bill is maxed out.

Comment

Oh shoots...where's he bowl of popcorn and glass of wine when I need 'em?

Comment

why. ya see sumpin others don't?

Comment

Working...
                                X