Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turtle Bay madness

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Not likely. The North Shore offers next-to-nothing in the way of dining, shopping, and entertainment opportunities that so many tourists seem to want. What the North Shore does offer are beautiful beaches... that are too dangerous for tourists to enjoy about half of each year!
    And of course the North Shore offers that 'country' feeling... for now.
    Because the development is away from most amenities, my guess is it will become one of those "self contained" cities where amenities will be built so tourists don't have to wander too far afield. I look at Ka'anapali and Wailea on Maui, and each has its own sizeable shopping center catering to rich folk (the kind who like shopping at Gucci and Ferragamo and not the ABC General Store). Build something that caters to tourists, and eveything that Waikiki offers is bound to follow, simply because that's what the tourists will demand. If you want a high end resort area on Oahu, you don't do it by building another 3,500 rooms!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's kinda a related story of what's going on at Kapalua, where they are tearing down a very nice hotel built in 1979, which already catered to upper class visitors, and are erecting 2 high end buildings, one with condos that will go for as much as $4 million, and the other a Ritz-Carlton.

With the kind of prices they're going to charge, that'll keep most of the riff raff locals and budget tourists away from the area for sure.

Miulang

P.S. At one time, Carol Burnett and Jim Nabors had condos at Kapalua; I don't know if they still own those or not.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I thought one of the sidebar stories about this new development was equally interesting: the residents on that part of the island initially approved the plans in 1986 because they thought it would provide more jobs for area residents.
        Even worse is that Turtlebay workers have been on strike lately something about how turtlebay brings in people from the mainland and other place to fill the better jobs leaving the locals the lowend jobs. I'll have to check more into this though i don't know the facts, i just know that the demonstrators are a pain in the butt and hold up traffic
        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by 808blogs
          Even worse is that Turtlebay workers have been on strike lately something about how turtlebay brings in people from the mainland and other place to fill the better jobs leaving the locals the lowend jobs. I'll have to check more into this though i don't know the facts, i just know that the demonstrators are a pain in the butt and hold up traffic
          I'd believe this story. Hawai'i residents as a whole tend to end up in service industry jobs, simply because there are more of those jobs available due to Hawai'i's efforts to increase tourism. Service industry jobs pay less than professional jobs (although it is interesting that the wages of service industry people in Hawai'i is higher than most other places). Many of the people who have the skills required to be managers or administrators aren't available in the local resource pool (the qualified local ones invariably leave for better paying jobs on the Mainland), so many of the national and multinational corporations with Hawai'i offices are recruiting for candidates up here on the Mainland, and these companies very often provide relocation reimbursement and other bennies which are enticing enough for the Mainlanders to want to move to Hawai'i, at least for a while. Some local companies try to make a commitment of hiring Hawai'i residents first, but doing this on an overt basis might also get them slapped with a discrimination suit.

And then you look at Moloka'i, which has a high unemployment rate. Some of the people buying or building those McMansions over there won't even hire locals to do yard work and give some of the locals a chance to earn some money; they import all their hired help. Talk about a slap to the face of some of the friendliest people in the world. Tourism isn't as big a deal on Moloka'i right now because the people don't want it to be. They even raised a big enough stink that the cruise ships are staying away from Moloka'i, even though it would have brought in lotsa money to the people of K'kai.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2006, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Good article in today's Star-Bulletin at http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/09/b...s/story01.html , including info about the strikes.
            The only reason anyone at all is supporting the new plan is the expectation of more jobs. But a large number of those jobs (both during construction and after) will go to imported labor.
            Also, KITV had the expansion as their lead news story last night. Odd, since the story broke almost two weeks ago, on February 24 (see the first message in this thread).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

$8 million is "all" it will take to improve traffic flow around Turtle Bay. I hope the County sticks the developers with the full cost of the improvements rather than make the taxpayers pay for it. If the resort wasn't planning to build another 3,500 units there, then I could see calling it needed "safety improvements". But since the developers stand to gain more by the improvements than the local residents, I say stick 'em with the bill and let the rich folk who will be buying those upscale condos pay a couple thousand more dollars in the sale price to subsidize the improvements. The taxpayers of Oahu don't need to help the developers out any more than they already have.
              Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2006, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Good editorial in today's Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/11/e...itorial01.html

Comment

Bless her little heart. Lee Cataluna makes some interesting observations about what the additional development will do to the North Shore. She's seen it all happen before at Makena (she is a supporter of Maui Tomorrow). Keep the tourist development in Waikiki which is already developed. Allow part of Oahu to continue to retain its unique country-style flavor!

Miulang

Comment

I'm extremely PO'd about something I read in today's Advertiser. The article can be found at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0353/1008/NEWS ; the headline is "Council asked to slow Turtle Bay expansion" and part of the article says:

"The City Council Zoning Committee was scheduled to take action yesterday on a resolution that would urge the city Department of Planning and Permitting "to enforce strict compliance with all applicable laws and unilateral agreement" and other permits and approvals needed for the Turtle Bay Resort expansion project.
                    "City Council Chairman Donovan Dela Cruz, who represents the North Shore area, introduced the proposal after hearing concerns from many in the community"

Say WHAT?!? A resolution urging them to enforce laws and permit approvals??? How utterly and stupendously ridiculous!
                    Since when do we have to vote and beg for our officials to enforce laws?

Only in Hawai`i nei...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      I'm extremely PO'd about something I read in today's Advertiser. The article can be found at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0353/1008/NEWS ; the headline is "Council asked to slow Turtle Bay expansion" and part of the article says:

"The City Council Zoning Committee was scheduled to take action yesterday on a resolution that would urge the city Department of Planning and Permitting "to enforce strict compliance with all applicable laws and unilateral agreement" and other permits and approvals needed for the Turtle Bay Resort expansion project.
                      "City Council Chairman Donovan Dela Cruz, who represents the North Shore area, introduced the proposal after hearing concerns from many in the community"

Say WHAT?!? A resolution urging them to enforce laws and permit approvals??? How utterly and stupendously ridiculous!
                      Since when do we have to vote and beg for our officials to enforce laws?

Only in Hawai`i nei...
                      The worse part is the resolution doesn't even MANDATE that the Zoning Committee enforce laws and permit approvals. It's like telling your kid not to drink booze, when you know for sure that he's going to go out with his buddies and imbibe anyway. Resolutions that have no legal teeth are just window dressing designed to appease certain constituencies without really doing anything to change the situation.

Miulang

Comment

And from that same article today, two quotes from Doug Carlson, spokesman for the developer, Kuilima Resort Co.:

"We don't feel that there is a need to do a new environmental impact statement," he said.

Ooh, big surprise there!

"We, too, are committed to keeping the country country," Carlson said.

Sure. That's exactly what that mainland development company is committed to.
                        And I'm the Queen of England.

Comment

I'm glad the concerned citizens who live around the Turtle Bay Resort made their voices heard last night. Will it do any good? That still remains to be seen. There's a lot of skeptcism about how much the developers really care about the local people's wishes for their area.

Miulang

Comment

Cynthia Oi wrote a very good editorial in today's Star-Bulletin.
                            "Waimanalo Blues" moves to the north shore, indeed.

Comment

"being run for tourists at the expense of local people."

People who complain about tourism jobs should open manufacturing plants.

Anybody can talk, very few actually DO something. Start a manufacturing business Ms. Cynthia Oi, and put your blood, sweat, and tears where your mouth is.

Seldom do you see a Father quit his job for political reasons. LOL
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

North Shore Being Threatened by Development

OAHU UNDER SIEGE
                                North Shore Being Threatened by Development
                                Despite heated opposition, the owners of the Turtle Bay Resort, Oaktree Capital Management, plan to go forward with a massive expansion plan (3,500+ rooms) that includes the placement of an additional hotel and development of the unspoiled expanse of neighboring Kawela Bay. Resort officials claim that dozens of new jobs will be created and that the counter traffic flow will not affect mobility on the North Shore. The Defend Oahu Coalition, lead in large part by Pipeline bodysurfing legend Mark Cunningham (a Kawela Bay resident) are exhausting all resources to block or at least impede the start of construction. They’re vocalizing their concerns on the potential community and environmental impact posed and rallying support from area residents to oppose the project. Oaktree is acting on a land use agreement that is approximately 20 years old and area residents are requiring a new impact study. "I think Oahu has reached its saturation point," Cunningham said, "We've reached our capacity, and I just don't believe a development of that size belongs out here." [...]

We all need to “ho’oku’i” (join together) and protect our surfing grounds. It will require only our collective best efforts to succeed. Fight invading corporations, help keep our beaches and water clean, appreciate the ocean gifts we have, and help to preserve it for the next generation of Hawaiian surfers. If there ever was a time for local wave riders to unite, it is now.
                                Last edited by admin; May 31, 2006, 01:53 PM. Reason: Replaced full article with excerpt and link to source.

Comment

Working...
                                X