How is Hawaii Web Design industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How is Hawaii Web Design industry?

I don't think hoales_rule is actually saying anything new, apart from the broad-brush belittling of local web developers.

The companies hoales_rule cites are the ones I was talking about in my first reply, posted the same day Finnsgirl posted her query. Her question was regarding freelance opportunities, and I basically said, there aren't many. Most serious web development is indeed done by traditional PR companies or their "new media" subsidiary. CommPac, StarrTech, Firefly, and the like. If you land a job with them, you'd be doing pretty well. If you're hoping to do web design independently, it'll be an uphill battle.

(I've also worked with, and have friends at, two of those firms, and I'm fairly confident that hoales_rule's disdain for web designers that aren't "in the club" is fortunately not representative of those companies at all.)

I also noted that "teachers" of this stuff are frequently less qualified than their students. Though I agree that PNM does good stuff.

Frankly, the "my brothers friends cousins that can do a site for $1000" line rings true. There are lots of folks in that category, myself included. This category of designer isn't particularly good, but cheap, and some folks will settle for that. It also means you're not going to make a living at it -- extra lunch money, tops.

But just because there are a lot of "my brothers friends cousins" out there, or a lot of people who bought a Frontpage tutorial from a TV infomercial and think they're pros, doesn't mean that Hawaii is lacking in skilled or talented web folk. No less so than any other city that isn't a tech hub. After all, there are the local firms Finn mentioned, and not all of their talent is imported. Hawaii also has a long history of Internet innovation -- though more behind the scenes (i.e. infrastructure) than the flashy cool stuff. Didn't HCC have one of the first web servers?

Talent, though, doesn't neccessarily mean commercial success. We've got a lot of brilliant minds, but not enough of a "tech industry" to feed them.

FWIW, with firms outsourcing more web development to shops in India and Asia, the kinds of money large PR firms are demanding for fancy-dancy websites probably aren't sustainable. So make your money while you can, however you can!
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 7, 2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Hoales_rule certainly came out of the gate swinging!
      And let's not forget that even if they had spelled their screen name correctly -- "Haoles Rule" -- that name is offensive, degrading and racist.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        And let's not forget that even if they had spelled their screen name correctly -- "Haoles Rule" -- that name is offensive, degrading and racist.
        so when people get call "f-ing haoles" or "Haole B..ch" or just plain haole
        I take it Lika thats its offensive, degrading and racist??

Oh and by the way i spelled it wrong for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by hoales_rule
          What reason was that?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            What reason was that?
            Cause he's Arrogant, Nasty, Belligerent, Opionionionated, Sarcastic, Dejected, etc. etc?

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

He could have "misspelled" his name another way, you know. "A_ _ _ _ _ _Rule" instead! (sorry about that, I must playing too many of those "how many words can you find in this jumble of letters?" games )

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; April 7, 2006, 03:41 PM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[...]and yes I was at HHV pele awards.[...]
                Did we dance?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Frankly, the "my brothers friends cousins that can do a site for $1000" line rings true. There are lots of folks in that category, myself included. This category of designer isn't particularly good, but cheap, and some folks will settle for that. It also means you're not going to make a living at it -- extra lunch money, tops.
                  No wonder people are always happy to hire me....I really need to start charging more I start at a 50$ base price and work from there my largest job was only like 500$'s.

On the other hand I don't really do it for the money. I do it because it helps me learn. A good example is my first post on HT, though I had a shaky start I know a learned some valuable lessons from it. As I do from every venture I undertake.
                  Last edited by 808blogs; April 7, 2006, 11:59 PM.
                  808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                  kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                  http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Lets get something straight, I'm not a copy writer I have someone that does that for me.
                    "I'm not a copy writer."

No. No, you're not. That's painfully obvious.

One needs to be a copywriter to be literate?

What a joke...

Comment

And I'm still curious about the dim-witted "hoale" thing...

There are better ways to prove a point. But then again you're teetering on the verge of illiteracy, so what should we all really expect?

Once again... what a joke...

Comment

and I'm not fresh from the mainland.
                        six years is fresh enuff.
                        especially with yer attitude.
                        "you can take the hoale outta the mainland, but ya can't take the..."

Comment

yea, i have said
                          "uh i MEANT to do that.."
                          when I make A too.

Comment

Working...
                          X