Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pseudoephedrine Menace

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Perhaps we could recommend to Adrian in the other thread "19 Year Old..." and he could build a database for Longs and the other "record keepers."
    Lol, good idea
    Sing with me, everyone!
    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Hmm...dreading that we need to already re-stock on NyQuil, since I've taken the recommended dosage, and now we're almost out for the next ailing victim. Should I be concerned that I will be logged TWICE in one month?!

What can we do to eliminate this procedure?
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
        Hmm...dreading that we need to already re-stock on NyQuil, since I've taken the recommended dosage, and now we're almost out for the next ailing victim. Should I be concerned that I will be logged TWICE in one month?!

What can we do to eliminate this procedure?
        Ummm.......getting healthy? Adopting a chiropratic and yoga lifestyle? Sorry - don't mean to preach, but this thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about in the "What Do You Believe" thread. Maybe (just maybe) everyone's addiction to this stuff might be part of the cause of all your ails?

I have stayed away from this thread for months. But sometimes I just can't help myself. Many of you might think I'm nuts, and so be it. Just voicing my opinion.

Comment

Acoustic Lady, would this be the post you were referring to in the APOLOGY thread? If so, there's no need to, I agree...I've been snifflin', grumblin', and pill poppin', being ignorant to what I already know, what you've just reminded me. Thank you. You've lit a fire, hopefully it's hot enough for me to actually become healthy once more.
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            Ummm.......getting healthy? Adopting a chiropratic and yoga lifestyle? Sorry - don't mean to preach, but this thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about in the "What Do You Believe" thread. Maybe (just maybe) everyone's addiction to this stuff might be part of the cause of all your ails?
            You are entitled to your beliefs, but may I suggest that what you propose is just a short step away from "illness is the fault of the ailing?" Sure, a dependence on something can weaken one's resistance or health, but sometimes people just get ill, and when they do, it is not only impolite but practically a kick in the face to suggest that the illness is their own fault. It might be, but there's no way to know it.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              You are entitled to your beliefs, but may I suggest that what you propose is just a short step away from "illness is the fault of the ailing?" Sure, a dependence on something can weaken one's resistance or health, but sometimes people just get ill, and when they do, it is not only impolite but practically a kick in the face to suggest that the illness is their own fault. It might be, but there's no way to know it.
              Did not mean that. What I did mean is that the common cold - for which people take all kinds of stuff to get rid of - is the body's natural defense system against invading organisms and such. What I am advocating is prevention. And in the case where prevention cannot be avoided, allowing the cold to run its own course - allowing the body to heal itself. When it comes to colds, I do believe that many are in a catch-22. The body is trying to get rid of outside influences and taking cold medication such as pseudoephedrine simply escalates the problem. It gets rid of the original symptoms, but not the problem.

Comment

And in the case where prevention cannot be avoided, allowing the cold to run its own course - allowing the body to heal itself.
                Oh, I get it. Then we are actually in agreement.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The body is trying to get rid of outside influences and taking cold medication such as pseudoephedrine simply escalates the problem.
                  How does it escalate the problem? Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. I believe it's to alleviate some of the more annoying aspects of a cold. As far as I know, this is NOT the body's defense mechanism, but in fact something caused by the cold in hopes of spreading itself. So I don't see how taking pseudoephedrine is creating any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    How does it escalate the problem? Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. I believe it's to alleviate some of the more annoying aspects of a cold. As far as I know, this is NOT the body's defense mechanism, but in fact something caused by the cold in hopes of spreading itself. So I don't see how taking pseudoephedrine is creating any problem.
                    The foriegn antibodies are carried away through the mucus. Another way to kill them would be fever. But with a simple cold, it is expelled through the mucus. If you use a decongestant, you don't give the body a chance to get rid of the nasty stuff. Yes, there is a double edged sword here. The nasty stuff carried out through the mucus can be transfered to another. So, you would want to avoid wiping your nose with your hand and then touching something. But again, my point is prevention in the first place. And I am not advocating doing nothing if it goes into pneumonia or if a fever runs really high. Just simple prevention and muddling through the average cold should you get one.

Comment

The foriegn antibodies are carried away through the mucus.
                      I would have to double-check that. For me there comes a point when I'm constantly blowing my noise and stuff and it's becoming raw I need to do something.

Comment

Okay so I thought I'd update, it's been a little over 8 hours since I last took a dose of Pseudoephedrine, and despite not having the encouragement to fall fast asleep, I do feel better. However, it could also mean that it's day three of this cold, and it's taken it's course and is subsiding. It's up for debate, which is why we're all here.
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

I'm pretty sure that taking medicine that treats cold symptoms doesn't directly do anything to harm your body's ability to fight off the cold. Colds are caused by viruses, and your body needs to develop the antibodies to that particular virus to get rid of it. I don't think taking a decongestent or anything will hamper that ability, at least not directly. The cold will leave when your body gets rid of it, no matter how much medicine you take.

Now, if because you take the medicine you don't get as much sleep or push your body to do more, that could slow down the process. But on the other hand, if the medicine helps you sleep then it's definitely helping you because getting more rest will allow your body to recover quicker.The mucus thing might be true, but what's more important is drinking lots of fluids since that will flush out your body much quicker.
                          Matt

www.July171955.com

www.MouseColumn.com

Comment

I gotta say, when I came to these boards I never thought my first post would contain the word mucus....
                            Matt

www.July171955.com

www.MouseColumn.com

Comment

What about fever? Is the elevated body temperature some kind of side-effect of the body's fight, or is it itself part of that fight? Something I've always wondered.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                What about fever? Is the elevated body temperature some kind of side-effect of the body's fight, or is it itself part of that fight? Something I've always wondered.
                                The latter. Most harmful bacteria and viruses cannot survive above the body's natural tempurature (around 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit), so raising that temperature is part of your body's defense system. Fever also activates parts of your body's immune system.

Comment

Working...
                                X