Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving money... what could you cut out... but you refuse to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saving money... what could you cut out... but you refuse to?

Or the car...I could get rid of the car. But we never had one for SO many years, and it's a camper. It's alot easier taking four kids in a camper, than squished into a car, and I can fit in alot of cut-price groceries, from the stores that don't exist in our town. And when we go someplace, we can stay and park for free.

I hope I never have to get rid of the car.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

4 years ago, we ditched the guzzler, and bought an Echo. I'm sure the gas savings is in the thousands by now.

Whoever thought that war in the oil producing region of the world would LOWER fuel prices must be a dreamer. I saw it coming right after 9/11/2001. Didn't everybody?

I envy all the rich folk driving their 4x4's and SUV's.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        I envy all the rich folk driving their 4x4's and SUV's.
        I don't. Empty-headed hypocrites, with their "Support the Troops" stickers on their gas-guzzlers. Idiots.

"But I don't mean that in a bad sort of a way ..."

Comment

Breakfast at McDonalds: Local Deluxe platter, coffee and the Star Bulletin where I can keep an eye on Erika and Maddie.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

the one thing i could cut but refuse to is my high speed internet connection!

Comment

I refuse to cut out living 40 miles from my office in Honolulu...and the drive (and gas!) that entails. Now...before anyone goes in disbelief over this...this is how I compensate:

I live in the least expensive area on Oahu...
              I don't have a mortgage...only maintenance fee and utilities...
              I keep driving to a minimum (work from home as much as I can; stay in my office overnight during 20 hr/day projects; also stay in my office overnight when I have a social engagement in town; my average yearly mileage is 5800. What's frustrating to me is to watch the gas bill go up and up while my mileage remains low and stable.

If I lived in town I'd either have a mortgage or extreme rent and I'd most likely be driving every day.

The secret, for me, is the town office that doubles as a crash pad! Ooooh, but the price of that d@mn gas!

Comment

There's many things I could cut out or reduce wastage of...here's the first ones that come to mind.

1. Eating out (but then I'd have to learn how to cook or at least cut up things with a knife without injuring myself)

2. Water (I love long hot showers where I create a sauna effect in my bathroom by the time I'm done--not a single space left on the mirrors that isn't fogged up, but I love being warm!!!). It makes me feel guilty for being wasteful, but if feels so good!!! AAUUGGHHH! I also do the bottled water thing--mainly because it's convenient to have it always in my car, even though I know bad stuff is leaching out from the plastic into the water, and also because I for some reason don't trust the old pipes in my old apartment building.

3. My attraction to shiny things gets me into trouble. I've told myself I've got to stop buying jewelry from the local crafts fairs and avoid going to them and putting myself in the path of temptation. My latest pair of earrings I bought at the Pet Expo. It was a fundraiser for a rabbit shelter, so that's how I justified my purchase. Now I'm trying to find an earring holder so I can better see my more than 100 pairs of earrings.

4. My Bath & Body works body cream collection--do I really need more than 20 of 'em at once? Um, probably not, but I love wearing a different scent, depending on my mood.

5. Small purses--I keep buying them even though I've probably got more than 30, some of which have never yet been used.

6. Mountain Dew. I don't drink coffee, so my one can a day gets me up in the morning. I can't bear to go through the headache withdrawal and stop, plus I have a nasty habit of staying up late, even though I KNOW I have to be up early for work the next day, so this gives me my much-needed jumpstart. That one can a day habit of mine adds up--even if I buy my Mountain Dew from Costco.

7. Shoes--I think most women have this problem. I've got so many shoes for specific outfits or specific, rare uses. I keep buying more in the hopes that I'll finally find a pair that doesn't give me blisters, but so far no luck, even after I break them in. I just use Bodyglide and deal with the blisters. Even my tennis shoes give me blisters. Grrr...right now I've got a pile of shoes in my living room serving as a reminder that I need to find a better shoe rack.

8. Going out to bars and drinking overpriced drinks. Since I don't do beer and pretty much stick to vodka, if there's no vodka specials, those prices rack up. I'm trying to put myself on a budget by only consuming the well stuff at least in those situations, but I find myself holding my nose and drinking them like shots because they taste terrible. Drinking beforehand so I can avoid drinking more at the bar has helped some. I keep saying yes to my friends when they want to meet for happy hour. I've been working on cutting back though and working on not feeling guilty every time I refuse a happy hour invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                  There's many things I could cut out or reduce wastage of...here's the first ones that come to mind.

7. Shoes--I think most women have this problem. I've got so many shoes for specific outfits or specific, rare uses. I keep buying more in the hopes that I'll finally find a pair that doesn't give me blisters, but so far no luck, even after I break them in. I just use Bodyglide and deal with the blisters. Even my tennis shoes give me blisters. Grrr...right now I've got a pile of shoes in my living room serving as a reminder that I need to find a better shoe rack.

AHHHH.... I find myself doing this as well! Maybe it would actually cost less to have a few pairs of shoes custom made so they will actually fit well. We could save $$$ on insoles, all those bandaids and whatnot!

I could probably also cut down on buying COFEE & BOTTLED WATER by making it myself...but who wants to carry a thermos and extra bottle with them everytime they leave the house?[/QUOTE]
                  Last edited by Pongs; May 22, 2006, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pongs
                    AHHHH.... I find myself doing this as well! Maybe it would actually cost less to have a few pairs of shoes custom made so they will actually fit well. We could save $$$ on insoles, all those bandaids and whatnot!
                    QUOTE]
                    Instead, I just purchased bandaids made for blisters...haven't used them yet. Anybody tried them?

Comment

Originally posted by Pongs
                      I could probably also cut down on buying COFEE & BOTTLED WATER by making it myself...but who wants to carry a thermos and extra bottle with them everytime they leave the house?
                      Not to mention the time it takes to clean it every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        Not to mention the time it takes to clean it every so often.
                        For the $$$ ou spend on dat stuff, you could probably hire someone to clean it.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Since the bottle tax was implemented in late 2004, I have totally cut out buying bottled water and soda in cans or containers that require the 6¢ tax (which goes up to 6.5¢ in September).

Which means I drink way less soda than I did prior to that.

I drive less and top my gas tank when it goes just below 3/4 full. My work commute is 2 miles each way.

I drive a Toyota Corolla which is gas thrifty to begin with and have never owned a gas guzzler since my 1973 Mercury Comet of many years ago.

That said, like most Americans I will not give up my car.

I could cut eating out some, but haven't yet.

I don't drink or smoke, and never had to deal with those expenses my entire life... so nothing to cut there. Smokers may want to think of quitting since the State increased the cigarrette tax..... again.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            Since the bottle tax was implemented in late 2004, I have totally cut out buying bottled water and soda in cans or containers that require the 6¢ tax (which goes up to 6.5¢ in September).

I don't drink or smoke, and never had to deal with those expenses my entire life... so nothing to cut there. Smokers may want to think of quitting since the State increased the cigarrette tax..... again.
                            It's amazing how much you politicize your posts... and then get all huffy when someone disagrees with you.

One way to save on bottled water is to buy a filtration system for your house. I've got one, and have saved money in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              It's amazing how much you politicize your posts... and then get all huffy when someone disagrees with you.

One way to save on bottled water is to buy a filtration system for your house. I've got one, and have saved money in the process.
                              I didn't read it as politicizing, but quantifying why he has made that decision (appropriate, considering that this is about saving money). I have a good filter on my tap and we each own good water bottles (mine is sitting in my car, boiling in the sun).

I like the bottle tax, because we collect them and it is amazing to see how that adds up!

pax

Comment

Same here. Also, plate lunch for lunch everyday.
                                Originally posted by JAvendan
                                the one thing i could cut but refuse to is my high speed internet connection!

Comment

Working...
                                X