Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Originally posted by Jonah K
    Actually there are two WalMarts in L.A. -- one in the Crenshaw District and another one in the Harbor Gateway area. I prefer the one in the Harbor Gateway area because it kinda reminds me of the one in Hilo and it has a "Hawaiian BBQ" place in the shopping center behind it.

I'd really like to see a Trader Joe's on the Big Island because the Island Naturals stores in Hilo and Puna are just poor imitations. Maybe I should "Trader Jonah's" here in partnership with Trader Joe's?
    Well, that's why i've never been...I'm just not going to the Crenshaw district for ANYTHING, and the harbour gateway area is too far from me.
    We did find on in Monrovia tho' which I've been to.

The Hawaiian BBQ places have been popping up. I dig it ~!

Trader Jonah's...nice ! Trader Joe's in Hawaii would be a pretty cool. I think they're a "good" chain, as far as chain stores go.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

There's a WalMart in West Hills as well as one in Porter Ranch, both in the "Valley". Must be another or two in the east "Valley" as well. Target's a better store for my money though.

I happen to think In-n-Out Burger would kill in Hawaii.
      Last edited by sinjin; August 10, 2006, 12:41 PM.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
        There's a WalMart in West Hills as well as one in Porter Ranch, both in the "Valley". Must be another or two in the east "Valley" as well. Target's a better store for my money though.

I like In-n-Out, but prefer Fatburger myself.

I need to check the burger thread and check out the local Hawaiian places when I visit again in a few months.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          You're not alone in thinking that, and it's been suggested here before. Use the HawaiiThreads seach function and type In-n-Out and you'll see.
          And hey, we need a Tommy's here too, cuz the chili burgers and chili fries are fantabulous.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Businesses I would miss...

Originally posted by anapuni808
            and let's see - get rid of Home Depot also. What's wrong with City Mill? They have everything anyone could possibly need.
            City Mill has crap quality stuff. Home Depot participates in community involvement projects like Habitat for Humanity, and Kaboom (building playground structures for parks and playgrounds).

Here on the Big Island HPM pretty much ruled the island with virtually all homes built used material exclusively from HPM or Monarch. HPM's acronym was joked as Haole's Pay More and despite the Haole presence since pre statehood on the Big Island, there was this general prejudice against them and HPM epitomized that feeling.

When Home Depot opened up here in Hilo it was welcomed by it's surrounding neighborhood of Panaewa and by East Hawaii as an alternative to the high cost and condascending attitude of HPM (who else you going buy from?).

Home Depot and Lowes forced local building suppliers such as HPM and City Mill to provide better service or else. The fact that both companies are still thriving despite two big box home improvement companies opening more and more stores on all islands is proof that their entrances into our island economy hasn't hurt their bottom line.

Competition is good in this case. Walmart here in Hilo also opened the eyes of all who lived here a long time that yes you too can pay mainland prices and have enough Kala to pay the electric bill. Has it hurt island businesses? Well look at the non-profit organization Kini Popo who sells their tourist plantings in WalMart. Is WalMart a major contract to this island business? Hell yeah! Even Home Depot is required to sell indigenous Hawaiian plants (that a lot of us look at as weeds) in their garden department. Many of these plants as well as others such as Plumera, various orchids, Hapuu ferns and even potted Areca palms are purchased locally from island nurseries. Here in Hilo Home Depot get a lot of their lumber from local lumber mills. Flooring, countertop, HVAC, and plumbing services are all contracted thru local installers. Even repair of garden and hardware power tools and equipment are serviced thru local repair shops such as J & J Lucas here in Hilo.

But getting back OT...one business I would sorely miss if they ever folded is Long's Drugs. To me it was a sad day when they changed their smocks from the familiar Green to the tropical print. Even Times Supermarket when they dropped "The Man in the Blue Coat" remember that slogan?
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 13, 2006, 11:34 PM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Olive Garden ... yup! I wish they would come here! How about a Victoria Secrets?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                No offense to Island residents, but I hope you don't get a Trader Joe's --- it's one of our best Mainland sources for omiyage for Island folks.
                Funny you mention this. My sister said she can buy Hawaiian Host Macadamia Nut Chocolates right at her neighborhood Costco in Missouri.

So much for taking those back as omiyage.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Shameless plug, but here goes....I make custom blended scented lotions, which are quite comparable to Bath n' Body Works (mine are less greasy feeling, too). I also ship worldwide from Las Vegas (I have shipped over 6,000 items from my web stores in the past four years). I also make matching scented body wash, and candles...am still working on the recipes for the body mist.

If anyone is interested, go to my home page, and let me know which scents you'd like. I can check stock and let you know which scents are currently available. Just thought I'd offer. I am a huge lotion/aromatherapy lover, if you are too, you may want to try mine out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
                    Shameless plug, but here goes....I make custom blended scented lotions, which are quite comparable to Bath n' Body Works (mine are less greasy feeling, too). I also ship worldwide from Las Vegas (I have shipped over 6,000 items from my web stores in the past four years). I also make matching scented body wash, and candles...am still working on the recipes for the body mist.

If anyone is interested, go to my home page, and let me know which scents you'd like. I can check stock and let you know which scents are currently available. Just thought I'd offer. I am a huge lotion/aromatherapy lover, if you are too, you may want to try mine out.

yeah that was a shameless plug...what was that home page of yours: www.???

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                      Maybe they could close the Wal-Mart & KMart stores & just give us a Target Store instead? and let's see - get rid of Home Depot also. What's wrong with City Mill? They have everything anyone could possibly need.
                      Hmmm I wouldn't miss Wal-Mart if they closed, but certainly Kmart as yours
                      truly works there . Same thing goes with Home Depot, I believe Craig works at Home Depot in Hilo ?
                      Last edited by Konaguy; August 25, 2006, 07:50 PM.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                        I'd really like to see a Trader Joe's on the Big Island because the Island Naturals stores in Hilo and Puna are just poor imitations. Maybe I should start "Trader Jonah's" here in partnership with Trader Joe's?
                        I recall in another Hawaii forum I haunt, that someone e-mailed Trader Joe's
                        to see if they'd open stores in Hawaii. As far as I recall the Trader Joe's
                        deemed Hawaii too expensive to build a store.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Here is my site, not trying to "drum up business", per se, more of a friendly offer...just thought I'd let people know that I have nice lotions, as I read the ones about the ladies loving the Bath N' Body Works. Mine really are comparable....very lovely lotions, at about half the price

Here's the site, if you'd like to see the scents I have:
                          www.elitegiftsonline.com

(I promise no other plugs for my sites!)

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                            Hmmm I wouldn't miss Wal-Mart if they closed, but certainly Kmart as yours
                            truly works there . Same thing goes with Home Depot, I believe Craig works at Home Depot in Hilo ?

You believe correct. I work there part time because I do enjoy helping people and I had to get out of the house because the retirement was too early for me and I get cabin fever. 6pm till closing three days a week and whatever they want on the weekends.

You want excellent service come see me, you want crappy service go see...um well come see me in Hardware. I help in all departments with a smile even to idiot customers.

Comment

To elaborate bit further on my last post, The Hilo Home Depot sits on
                              Dept of Hawaiian Homelands. Thus it is producing income for DHHL to
                              build needed infrastructure on their other lands. So eligible Hawaiians
                              can get a homestead.If my memory serves me correctly, Hilo DHHL
                              lands contribute the bulk of the lease income DHHL gets from their
                              lands statewide. That being said, the Hilo Home Depot opened up a
                              lot of good jobs for Hilo folks. Especially for people living on the
                              surrounding DHHL lands.

Edit: I remembered someone mentioning that you worked at HD previously,Craig.
                              It pays to have a good memory
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Funny you mention this. My sister said she can buy Hawaiian Host Macadamia Nut Chocolates right at her neighborhood Costco in Missouri.

So much for taking those back as omiyage.
                                I can buy those here in the Costco in Taipei Taiwan too.

Comment

Working...
                                X