• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

The really sad thing is people are getting sucked into
    Wal-Mart's web with the low pricing. But at what cost
    to the 3rd world countries where Wal-Mart gets their goods,
    their own employees, or the surrounding business community.

I have seen these commercials Wal-Mart has had on TV
    portraying them as a All -American company,welcomed
    by the communities that they have stores at. They sort
    of make me cringe because of what I mentioned above.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      It is ironic that people who hate Walmart will still shop there. To me if you hate something you keep away from it at all costs.
      Even though I don't like Wal-Mart, they do have a pretty good electronics department. Since in Kona we do not have a good
      computer store here, Wal-Mart is the only gamne in town.
      Like I mentioned the low prices unfortunately supercede even if
      you do not like the business.

But I bet a lot of other products we don't know about, and frankly a lot of people don't care if they perceive getting a bargain for an item. Often times it doesn't matter where you buy it.
      That is the negative side effect of our grand global economy.
      It is sad thing that people have put low prices ahead of where
      the product was made etc.

As for small businesses, the innovative ones will learn to adapt to marketplace conditions and adjust accordingly. Happens all the time in a capitalistic society. Sure there will be casualties along the way, but that is the way life is.
      It is not the way life is supposed to be in my opinion. Sure
      it is great to have low prices, but like I said at what cost.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
        Even though I don't like Wal-Mart, they do have a pretty good electronics department. Since in Kona we do not have a good
        computer store here, Wal-Mart is the only gamne in town.
        Like I mentioned the low prices unfortunately supercede even if
        you do not like the business.
        Yes, and I bet millions of other people feel the same way as you. The price point is too hard to resist and you violate your own principles just to get that product at that price point. Of course if the product is scarce and Walmart is the only place to get it, most people will buy it there rather than search elsewhere (internet) for the same product.

That is the negative side effect of our grand global economy.
        It is sad thing that people have put low prices ahead of where
        the product was made etc.
        With the cost of living so high, people know where the bargains are and will continue to go to those places that provide good prices.

It is not the way life is supposed to be in my opinion. Sure
        it is great to have low prices, but like I said at what cost.
        Yes, life is not fair. I have had to face life's injustices. We try to adapt the best we can or move out of the way.

No one really thinks about the cost to societies in third world countries from which the cheap products come from unless that cost personally hits the consumer in their own pocketbook. For those who are principled and want to make a statement it is entirely within your right to not buy those kinds of products or patronize those businesses that sell those products.

For me, like the majority of millions upon millions of consumers who have bought and continue to buy products from Walmart and other big box retailers, the low price points that make the products affordable to consumers will always override other factors.
        Last edited by mel; August 20, 2004, 07:19 PM. Reason: added item
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Anyone knows what time they open? If its around 7:00am, then I'll be there after I come off the Route A bus.

I'll first browse the computer isle (love computers/electronics) and after I gaze at the new products they have that I wish I could buy (being unemployed sucks bad) I'll just walk around that store until classes start at 8:00.

Probably my Mom will let me get a Sam's card, so I can develop pictures and she can pick it up later.

I wonder if non shoppers will be able to park there? (Heald College needs parking bad).
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            Yes, and I bet millions of other people feel the same way as you. The price point is too hard to resist and you violate your own principles just to get that product at that price point. Of course if the product is scarce and Walmart is the only place to get it, most people will buy it there rather than search elsewhere (internet) for the same product.
            I'll give you an example out of my life why I ended up shopping at Wal-Mart recently. My PC died, and I needed
            to get a computer immediately. There is only two major
            places here in Kona where you can easily buy a computer--
            Costco and Wal-Mart.

Since I don't have a Costco membership and I didn't want to
            buy a EMachine [The cheapest computer at Costco]. I ended
            up going to Wal-Mart to buy the computer. Like I mentioned
            I only go to Wal-Mart because they have the only decent
            electronics section here in Kona.

No one really thinks about the cost to societies in third world countries from which the cheap products come from unless that cost personally hits the consumer in their own pocketbook. .
            Well try this one for size we should be caring about the effects of this global economy on the third world. We are
            essentially getting the low prices not only Wal-Mart
            but others on the backs of slave labor in the third world.

In my esteemed opinion terrorism and the slave labor in the third world are interconnected.Thus in reality we SHOULD
            be caring where these products come from. But unfortunately we have blinders on and don't see the bigger
            picture. We ALL are caught in the low price web like it or not.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

In my esteemed opinion terrorism and the slave labor in the third world are interconnected. Thus in reality we SHOULD
              be caring where these products come from. But unfortunately we have blinders on and don't see the bigger
              picture.
              Interesting points to be sure, however, I take exception to this statement:

We ALL are caught in the low price web like it or not.

No. Emphatically not. Some of us are NOT caught in the "low price web".
              Last edited by kimo55; August 20, 2004, 09:02 PM.

Comment

My PC died, and I needed to get a computer immediately. There is only two major places here in Kona where you can easily buy a computer-- Costco and Wal-Mart.
                I totally understand that, especially if you need the computer for work or business purposes. You go to the store and buy it if you need to replace the broken one. Thankfully for you, Walmart is right there in Kona.

Most of my family live in Honokaa, and if you want to buy something electronic at a good price point, it is almost a one hour commute to the Hilo Walmart or a 90 minute drive to Kona. Think about the people living in Ka'u. They probably have to really travel far to get the kinds of consumer goods that we in urban environment who benefit from the presence of big box and other discount retailers take for granted. I am thankful that I live near the new Walmart and other discount retailers (like Ross).

We are essentially getting the low prices not only Wal-Mart but others on the backs of slave labor in the third world. In my esteemed opinion terrorism and the slave labor in the third world are interconnected.Thus in reality we SHOULD be caring where these products come from.
                I think with today's global economy and the outsourcing of many jobs to the 3rd world, we almost cannot avoid it. And while we should be caring about where these products come from, the nature of American consumerism is the fact that these kinds of issues are the farthest things on our mind when it comes time for us to shop.

... we have blinders on and don't see the bigger picture. We ALL are caught in the low price web like it or not.
                I don't think low price points are a web; they are only an option made available to consumers if price is the main criteria on which one is to buy a product. For some people price is not as important as service for example. In that case they may prefer to buy the same type of item from a boutique store or specialty retailer. Other people prefer not to shop at all in a brick and motar store and choose to buy from online or mail order retailers. For them that is more convenient than battling the crowds for the latest bargain at Walmart or somewhere else.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I shall certainly shop at Wal-Mart, look forward to leaving Sears out of my life as a result. But yep, I'll probably still stop in at Ross (if it survives the competition).

Comment

The Capitol of Hilo.... yes... It's Walmart. Just about everyone on the East side of the Big Island shops there.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      Where does wal-mart sit? They come and settle into ANY town they want. lay waste, and no one can do a darn t'ing aboudit!
                      I think you are over rating Wal-Mart. One city on the mainland voted not to have a Wal-Mart there.

And as far as the location at Keeaumoku, that area sat idle for around a decade. Sure there were plans but it all fell through.

Comment

Yes, there have been cities up here on the mainland (more than one) that have tried to stop large chains like WalMart from coming into the community. My SO's mother lives in a little town in northwest NC (not far from the town where the Atlanta Olympic Games bomber, Erich Rudolph, was captured.) The WalMart in Murphy, NC is open 24x7 and is the focus of the community life.

Yes, WalMart provides jobs; but it also has been the subject of numerous law suits about unequal opportunities for women and buying non-American goods.

In a global economy, you rarely will find anything manufactured 100% in the US anymore; but it's reprehensible that a company like WalMart should make it profits off the backs of its employees.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; August 21, 2004, 03:20 PM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

When we were up in Vancouver BC this summer one of the outlying
                          areas of Vancouver changed the land use density making it impossible
                          for any new big box chains to come to their area. Specifically
                          they changed how big the square footage of the new stores could be.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

To me I have no beef with other big box retailers like Costco, Home Depot,
                            Lowes,Kmart.Just with the cutthroat business tactics Wal-Mart uses
                            to get a get ahead [They are the largest company in the world].
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              I think you are over rating Wal-Mart. One city on the mainland voted not to have a Wal-Mart there.

And as far as the location at Keeaumoku, that area sat idle for around a decade. Sure there were plans but it all fell through.

many cities in america vote no walmart

Just because land sits empty or unused doesn't mean it then should have a huge mausoleum with no setback erected there, esp when that mausoleum also is a walmart.

The kaka'ako pump house sits idle for many years. So with your reasoning, it should be torn down and a starbucks put up there.

You have got to start thinking less simplistically than this!

Comment

To me I have no beef with other big box retailers like Costco, Home Depot,
                                Lowes,Kmart.Just with the cutthroat business tactics Wal-Mart uses
                                to get a get ahead [They are the largest company in the world].
                                At least "multinational" companies like Costco and SBUX offer great bennies to their employees...including the part timers. The turnover rate at both companies is extremely low compared to other comparable companies. So I guess the workers at both those companies are pretty content. I know as much as WalMart would like to portray itself as an equal opportunity employer, the reality is that women and noncaucasians have a hard time cracking into top management.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X