Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Kimo sure can give it!!! But when someone knows him as good as you Maddie... he sure runs and hides real quick!

Wish I would have caught you and kimos little interaction a bit earlier... I might have been up all night laughing!

Maybe Kimo and Maddie need to go the Sensual Healing thread
    Last edited by damontucker; August 15, 2006, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Speaking of missing good stuff, I gotta say I enjoyed Craig's contributions a few posts back, urging a bit of historical perspective. It was interesting to look at some of the "old local places" that even I'd developed affection for, and remember that some of them were indeed the evil, invading forces of outside business interests and models once upon a time.

While I sincerely doubt there'll come a day when I'll look back wistfully on my days lost in the cavernous aisles of Wal-Mart, it helps to remember that change is inevitable, isn't limited to Hawaii, and certainly not always something to blindly rail against.

Comment

I wouldn't write off Kimo just yet...but Wow Maddie that was one heck of a left hook you nailed him with that had to hurt. I guess there was a lot of pent up frustration behind that post of yours.

Ever thought of writing an editorial on "venting"

Now regarding old vs new, I also remember those good old Cornet Stores from a short time ago.

I joked on another thread that if WalMart doesn't want to look like the evil empire they should buy out the small Mom and Pops and operate them as WM Superettes on every other block.

Like ABC Discount stores, the best way to eliminate competition is to simply buy every conceivable location and set up shop.

A walk in corner WM superette would satisify those who need that quick bottle of Coca Cola Blak or a pack of smokes while not having to wait in long lines. At the same time it wouldn't seem as though the small corner market was in line for extinction.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          I wouldn't write off Kimo just yet...but Wow Maddie that was one heck of a left hook you nailed him with that had to hurt. I guess there was a lot of pent up frustration behind that post of yours.
          Indeed.

Ever thought of writing an editorial on "venting"
          Every column I've ever written (as a column, not a story) has been venting, to one degree or another! I could easily write one or two a week, but I prefer to give others a chance to vent, most of the time.

Comment

MadAzza...You rock !
            I felt really assualted back there on page 2 of this thread for asking a simple question. It's nice to know someone else in here feels the same way.

On the subject of Big Box stores on the Islands...I know the cost of living there is super high and alot of folks struggle to keep it all afloat.What do you all think abot an IKEA there ?. BIG BOX to the max, but really great furniture and home items for low prices...you can furnish a home really inexpensively with really cool looking stuff from IKEA.

Just a thought cos I love IKEA, and everyone here in SOCAL goes there.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              MadAzza...You rock !
              I felt really assualted back there on page 2 of this thread for asking a simple question. It's nice to know someone else in here feels the same way.

On the subject of Big Box stores on the Islands...I know the cost of living there is super high and alot of folks struggle to keep it all afloat.What do you all think abot an IKEA there ?. BIG BOX to the max, but really great furniture and home items for low prices...you can furnish a home really inexpensively with really cool looking stuff from IKEA.

Just a thought cos I love IKEA, and everyone here in SOCAL goes there.
              My own experience with IKEA furniture (like their shelving and desks) is it looks very nice but it's mostly particle board with lamination and while it's cheap and looks good in the beginning, it might not stay that way for long. It's great for young people on tight budgets, though. The downside is you have to assemble most of it, and when you're as screwdriver-challenged as I am most of the time, that presents a little problem (like the one time I "accidentally" made a hole in the back of a bookcase that shouldn't have been there )

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                My own experience with IKEA furniture (like their shelving and desks) is it looks very nice but it's mostly particle board with lamination and while it's cheap and looks good in the beginning, it might not stay that way for long. It's great for young people on tight budgets, though. The downside is you have to assemble most of it, and when you're as screwdriver-challenged as I am most of the time, that presents a little problem (like the one time I "accidentally" made a hole in the back of a bookcase that shouldn't have been there )

Miulang
                You gotta look at the upside of that too. If you like to change things around alot, IKEA is a great way to buy stuff, create a look, and change it in a year or so. The furniture is cheap enough to just discard, and update with the new latest stuff, and the prices warrant that kind of thing. When you buy expensive pieces, you worry about ruining them, and keep them even after you get tired of them, because you spent so much money on it.

I once saw an interview with a modern architect who had IKEA pieces in his home for that very reason. You can just throw them out when you want to change stuff, and you won't be wasting your money because they are so cheap.

As far as the assembly goes, you get used to building their stuff ater a while....

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                  You can just throw them out when you want to change stuff
                  I hope by "throw them out" you mean sell them in a garage sale or donate them to a charity or needy college students

Anyway, even cruddy particle board furniture can last you a while if you take care of it. I have two book shelves from Wally-Mart from five years ago, straight up cheapo particle board, and they look and hold up like brand new. And some of Ikea's stuff isn't particle board, some is plastic (which will last longer probably) and some is solid wood or metal.

Comment

Just out of curiousity - has anyone met Kimo offline? If so, is he the same in person as he is on the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by panana
                      Just out of curiousity - has anyone met Kimo offline? If so, is he the same in person as he is on the forum?
                      Yes and ... you'd have to judge that for yourself.

Online, certain aspects of a person's character, personality or viewpoints will come out more strongly. And the person reading the post also brings his or her own prejudices, mood and so forth into it.

So someone (like me, for instance) might not be exactly like certain people would expect in real life, but for others, I would be exactly as they'd expect.

If this makes any sense, then ... yee haw!

Comment

Actually, I completely understand what you're saying. Since the web currently lacks face to face interaction, we often say/type things we normally wouldn't. I've learned to wait before replying to an email or post that I don't like.

That's why I was curious if his personality is as 'strong' offline as it is on.

Comment

The Queen of Snark rocks. Goooooooo, Maddie!

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                            I hope by "throw them out" you mean sell them in a garage sale or donate them to a charity or needy college students

Anyway, even cruddy particle board furniture can last you a while if you take care of it. I have two book shelves from Wally-Mart from five years ago, straight up cheapo particle board, and they look and hold up like brand new. And some of Ikea's stuff isn't particle board, some is plastic (which will last longer probably) and some is solid wood or metal.
                            Yes....donate, yard sale...whatever works. The particle board stuff is fine...it holds up. I love IKEA. I have some IKEA pieces for quite some time now, they hold up well.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              No not subsidized at all. I believe it's a Wallace theater (I could be wrong)
                              Wallace's Kress location shows the movies that they've finished showing at their Prince Kuhio location. They're about a month or two old when they're shown at Kress, unless they bombed so bad they were out of Prince Kuhio in a week. I just wonder how they pay the air conditioning bill at a dollar or less per head.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                                I just wonder how they pay the air conditioning bill at a dollar or less per head.
                                That's why most theaters are so dependent on people buying the popcorn, candy, sodas, etc. Theater owners figure that movie watchers will spend more on the snacks at the movie if the movie goers feel they are getting a deal on the price of admission--and that's why theaters owners don't like movie watchers sneaking their own food/drinks into the theater.

Comment

Working...
                                X