Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna invest in da market

Originally posted by Beachboy
    what you think I'm soft or something? Jonah, Puna is hardly the end of the earth pal. You make it sound like it's hard times there. Believe me, I've had to put up with places a lot worse than wet Puna!
    Just playing, brah. Puna is one of the few places in Hawai'i where you can purchase a new house on an acre for under $350K. Of course, there are a few trade-offs to living here, but that comes with the territory. For most, it's better to be a homeowner in Puna than a renter on O'ahu.

Check out some of the listings....
    http://www.hawaiiinformation.com/REs...d&LOC=3&DIST=1
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
      Just playing, brah. Puna is one of the few places in Hawai'i where you can purchase a new house on an acre for under $350K. Of course, there are a few trade-offs to living here, but that comes with the territory. For most, it's better to be a homeowner in Puna than a renter on O'ahu.

Shhh, Jonah! If word gets out too loudly about Puna, it's going to go the way of Kihei!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Shhh, Jonah! If word gets out too loudly about Puna, it's going to go the way of Kihei!

Miulang
        Sadly...it's long past that stage....anyone drive red road lately?

Well it's not RED anymore...and there are so many housing developments down along that road that I lost count at 8 (Developments...not just houses)

Comment

Miulang

Word is already out...Talk to all the happy campers here...
          www.punaweb.org
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Oh well, I guess there's always Miloli'i And Puna still isn't as bad as Kihei is now...and you still have time to keep it from becoming another Kihei.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Locals Invest in land!!!!

That's the only way you gonna have it...sad but strangely TK has a weird fricking point that if we don't buy it now... someone else will!

Comment

Oh well, I guess there's always Miloli'i And Puna still isn't as bad as Kihei is now...and you still have time to keep it from becoming another Kihei.

Miulang
                It's probably too late for Miloli'i.
                http://www.konaohanahomes.com/

The good thing about Puna is that it's about the size of O'ahu; however, the lack of infrastructure and the threat of having portions of it inundated with lava might serve to curtail its growth somewhat.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

It's probably too late for Miloli'i.
                  http://www.konaohanahomes.com/

The good thing about Puna is that it's about the size of O'ahu; however, the lack of infrastructure and the threat of having portions of it inundated with lava might serve to curtail its growth somewhat.
                  and don't forget to tell people planning on moving to the Big Island....

THE PUBLIC BUS SYSTEM is close to non-existant!

They have a bus that will take you around the island and back... but to get from point "A" to point "B" and back... forget about it!

Comment

Shhh! He probably doesn't want to deal with catchment water, coqui frogs, Albizia trees, cinder roads, relatively few beaches, rain, and all the other things that come with living in Puna.
                    And solar, generators, batteries...not to mentio the LOOOOONG drive into town (with lots of traffic) every morning.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does anyone else recall the signs? (I think it was in Eden Roc subdivision)...at the beginning of the road, there was one nailed to a tree, 'God is the answer', and a few miles more, deep into the wilderness territory, there was another 'Beer is the answer'.

Comment

The drive may be long but at least you're going somewhere. In Honolulu you sit and idle most of the time.

But Jonah I'll take the Albezia trees, catchment...etc anyday over the stress of Oahu. Seeing those trees towering over the roadways makes for such a nice country drive. Better than seeing towering cement and glass.

Catchment water has virtually no mineral deposits as does county water (piped in) so the water is actually "sweeter" than what is brought to you thru pipes. With simple filtration (the same as what most people put on their taps now) the water is simply better and softer.

Right now there is a glut of homes available all over Puna and the prices are dropping making for a buyer's market now.

Eden Rock sucks and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy there. If you want to buy there are excellent buys in custom contractor built homes in the Hawaiian Paradise Parks subdivision for under $375,000.oo These homes are way better than anything you could find in West Oahu for less than half the price on one acre of land.

I tell my friends to sell their $650,000 homes on Oahu, buy a home here for less than half that price with more square footage on BIG lots, then invest the rest and retire early.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

About that catchment water system...my Mom (Keaau) loves hers, except for when she has to buy in water during dry spells. And she has a nifty battery and gas bottle pump/heater system to bring the water into the house.

But I recall an old boyfriend of mine, who had about a million chickens (fighting cocks and harems) all over his place. The birds even slept on the roof...pooping on the roof, and the poop got into the catchment pool. No amount of filtering that water could get out the smell of chicken poop! Take a shower-smell of chicken poop!

Speaking of fighting chickens...why is it that the birds are often kept in such tiny cages? With no sunshine or excercise? You'd think, like athletes, they need sport and training to keep in shape for the 'big match', not a 'couch-potato' lifestyle.

Comment

Miulang
                            Miulang, do you live on Maui? Besides Kihei, Kaanapali, Napali, Kahana, Honokawai, Lahaina,Makena Beach were all part of Maui development during the 70's. I could see it getting out of hand in the early 70's as a kid.
                            The Hundred dollar a month house that I grew up in and loved in Lahaina is now a Kobe Steakhouse!

Comment

Jonah...you're joking right? What do you get for $350K, a little grass shack?

Do you know of any other links for big island real estate? Lahaina, were I grew up is not an option to move back. It changed for the worse long ago, ahhh but I have sweet memories of the west side of Maui though. I can see my old neighbor in my mind, Martin Paahanui getting into his red VW speeding off to play music at the old Maui Sheraton Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
                                Miulang, do you live on Maui? Besides Kihei, Kaanapali, Napali, Kahana, Honokawai, Lahaina,Makena Beach were all part of Maui development during the 70's. I could see it getting out of hand in the early 70's as a kid.
                                The Hundred dollar a month house that I grew up in and loved in Lahaina is now a Kobe Steakhouse!
                                Beachboy, I don't live on Maui right now but go back about twice or three times a year. And every time I go back it gets worse. My parents live in Wailuku but we also have a house up in Kula, which right now is getting pretty overdeveloped too. Too many people, not enough water.

I didn't even bother trying to get to Lahaina the other week (my second trip in 3 months) because of that fire that closed down Honoapiilani Hwy. The State really has to do something about building an alternate route so people aren't all funneled onto that one road. It gets closed down pretty regularly now, mostly because of car accidents (mostly tourists too interested in the views and not interested enough in what's about to turn into their lane) . On a good day, it takes almost an hour to get from Central Maui to Lahaina now; on a bad day, it might take up to 4 hours. They installed a stoplight at Laniukopoko Park, which is really a stupid place to install a stoplight, except I guess they're now starting to develop the land mauka of the beach.

You remember small kid time how that trip between Lahaina and Central Maui took maybe a half hour?

I have a cousin who is married to a guy whose family owned a plantation house in Wahikuli. When the grandma died last year, they put the house on the market and were asking $1.4 million for it. I don't know what it finally sold for, but I'm pretty sure whoever bought it bought it for the land and not the house (the termites were holding hands and that's what was keeping the walls upright! ) and probably tore the house down and put up a new one in its place.

It's kinda funny driving through Honokawai now...mostly high rise condos and then there's the okazuya place still right there. I heard they were maybe going to expand that place. Couldn't believe the crowds who stop by there! (even the tourists have discovered the place). There was absolutely no parking on the day I was cruising around feeling ono for bento. And I'm sure you heard about Seibu putting the Maui Prince and that whole Makena Resort area up for sale. They probably realized they'd never be able to develop beyond what's already there (even though there were plans to put up another big development next to the golf course) because the Maui County Planning Commission got all huhu about the number of "affordable" housing units Seibu was proposing v. the number of luxury houses and timeshares they wanted to build and pretty much scuttled Seibu's plans, plus the fact that there is a heiau and some archeological sites that the State says need to be protected in that proposed development area.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; September 20, 2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X