Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna invest in da market

Originally posted by tikiyaki
    [...]Unfortunately for me, there is no work for someone like me on the BI...[...]
    And therein lies the problem for most of us. I'd love to experience living outer island but the work situation prevents it.

Comment

see edited message...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        The Oahu analogy is Makaha! And everyone knows how I feel about living there!
        tutu -

I hate it when I disagree with you because it always seems to be like some little misunderstanding here and there...

However... on this one I will stand strong... comparing Makaha to Leilani Estates?

Have you been out that side on the big island recently? I have been out Makaha... and I have plenty friends in Leilani.... I'm not sure where your getting the comparison from?

I know you were able to purchase your piece of pie earlier in the days... is that what you are referring to???

I'm sorry if I'm reading into this wrong... but Makaha and Leilani Estates???

Maybe I'm completely off base and you can explain further???

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
          Yea...talk about affordable....Makaha Surfside. Oceanfront for 200K...where else in the Hawaii can you get THAT ?
          I'm seeing more units under 200k now. Prices have dropped. Still...people consider that high for 400 square feet! Maybe yes...maybe no. Oceanfront is what it's all about for me. And, fee simple!

Comment

I get one question....

What happens to fee-simple condos when they get old and decrepid? Do the owners agree to sell up or to pay for fix-ups?

I ask cause my Mom has a Kaneohe unit in an older building, and I have always wondered what's gonna happen when it gets unlivable, seeing as there are multiple owners.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              [...]Maybe I'm completely off base and you can explain further???
              Happy to explain!

Craig wrote: "There are a lot of good subdivisions so I'll tell you the ones I'd stay away from because of the crime and such.

Eden Rock, Hawaiian Beaches, Leilani Estates, Fern Acres, Volcano Village."

Then Tikiyaki wrote: "Interesting...I've corresponded with someone in leilani estates who LOVES it...."

Based on what Craig wrote, it appears to me that Leilani Estates and Makaha share a similar reputation.

Based on what Tikiyaki wrote, it appears that regardless of a negative reputation there are those of us who still love those areas.

Go figure!

And, Manoa? I don't mind at all when you disagree with me. I just mind HOW you disagree. You done good this time!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                There are a lot of good subdivisions so I'll tell you the ones I'd stay away from because of the crime and such.

Eden Rock, Hawaiian Beaches, Leilani Estates, Fern Acres, Volcano Village.

If I had to recommend any one subdivision in Puna it would be Hawaiian Paradise Park down by the ocean. It's safe, not too many coquis, dry (not too many mosquito's) and the land values down by the ocean is higher than near Pahoa Highway.

Kaloli Point in HPP is fast becoming the Black Point of the Big Island with mansions coming up there. Further along the beachfront towards Paradise and then Makuu is the pristine and still affordable lots where I feel the next Kahala is going to be.

Best in HPP is anywhere from 10th street down to the ocean from Kaloli Point to Makuu Drive. That is the prime areas in the subdivision.
                perfect!! I was looking at a place on a real estate Web site for da Big Island. It looks cool, and my wife loves it! Best part, it's in Hawaiian Paradise Park too! Why do you suppose there is little to no crime in HPP, but plenty in those other sub divisions, Eden Rock, Hawaiian Beaches, Leilani Estates, Fern Acres, Volcano Village. Craig, what type of crime are we talking about...B& E's, Ice maniacs, Mexican heroin dealers, murders,pot growers(hardly criminals), rapist,what kine are there? Seems to me I remember some years back of stories of some "dirty cops" who were supplying 'Ice', to young local Botunas. The under age local girls traded hand jobs for puffs off the devil's pipe...before they(police)got caught.

Anyway, I emailed the real estate lady on the Big Island about how I go about purchasing that house we fell in love with in Hawaiian Paradise Park!
                3 bedroom, 21/2 baths, sits on one acre of fee simple land. Plus house is only one year old too!

One other question Craig. Tell me,is HPP in the pathway of any Volcano in the neighborhood? I'd sure hate to buy, and then watch house go up in flames one year! Yikes, the thought alone gives me Chicken Skin !

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                  I get one question....

What happens to fee-simple condos when they get old and decrepid? Do the owners agree to sell up or to pay for fix-ups?

I ask cause my Mom has a Kaneohe unit in an older building, and I have always wondered what's gonna happen when it gets unlivable, seeing as there are multiple owners.
                  That's why there are condo associations...and monthly maintenance fees. Makes no difference whether it's fee simple or leasehold. Gotta have that assoc. of owners with it's board of directors to oversee such matters.

Comment

I think that the difference between HPP and the 'others' is that HPP is more ordinary people and the others are maybe more marginal...or were, way back when.

There is crime in HPP...stolen stuff, mostly. Someone recently drove a trailer right up to my brother's place and loaded on two motorcycles and drove off...the neighbor who saw it never called the cops or took the plate number because the theives were just so cool-acting, as if it were a normal thing, so the neighbor thought it was friends.

But there is good, too...my Mom was crashed into by a hit-and-run and the kids nearby followed the van and reported the plate number to the cops.

From what I can tell, over here halfway around the world, is that the biggest shame about Puna is that home-builders are doing a 'rip-and-roll' clearing job, before building...tearing out and destroying any and all local flora...and then building on a nude lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Beachboy, I don't live on Maui right now but go back about twice or three times a year. And every time I go back it gets worse. My parents live in Wailuku but we also have a house up in Kula, which right now is getting pretty overdeveloped too.
                      Ahhh, I have fond memories of weekend nights at the Kula Lodge back in the days! :wink:

You remember small kid time how that trip between Lahaina and Central Maui took maybe a half hour?
                      How's about 20 minutes...and that's stopping for a MauiRed Hot Dog from Olowalu Store too! :wink:

I have a cousin who is married to a guy whose family owned a plantation house in Wahikuli. When the grandma died last year, they put the house on the market and were asking $1.4 million for it. I don't know what it finally sold for, but I'm pretty sure whoever bought it bought it for the land and not the house (the termites were holding hands and that's what was keeping the walls upright! ) and probably tore the house down and put up a new one in its place.
                      Those old Plantation houses are awesome. A Rock n Roll friend of mine bought the old Baldwin House back in the late 70's. I wonder if he still owns it?

It's kinda funny driving through Honokawai now...mostly high rise condos and then there's the okazuya place still right there. I heard they were maybe going to expand that place. Couldn't believe the crowds who stop by there! (even the tourists have discovered the place). There was absolutely no parking on the day I was cruising around feeling ono for bento. And I'm sure you heard about Seibu putting the Maui Prince and that whole Makena Resort area up for sale. They probably realized they'd never be able to develop beyond what's already there (even though there were plans to put up another big development next to the golf course) because the Maui County Planning Commission got all huhu about the number of "affordable" housing units Seibu was proposing v. the number of luxury houses and timeshares they wanted to build and pretty much scuttled Seibu's plans, plus the fact that there is a heiau and some archeological sites that the State says need to be protected in that proposed development area.

Miulang
                      I remember when it was dirt road from Kaanapli to Honolua Bay. We'd hitchhike with our surfboards from Lahaina to Honolua Bay. As fun as the surf gets at Honolua, we always had to start back to Lahaina by no later than noontime. This way we were sure to make it home for dinner. Any later than that, and we'd be sleeping in the bushes by Honolua Bay!

Comment

I think that the difference between HPP and the 'others' is that HPP is more ordinary people and the others are maybe more marginal...or were, way back when.

There is crime in HPP...stolen stuff, mostly. Someone recently drove a trailer right up to my brother's place and loaded on two motorcycles and drove off...the neighbor who saw it never called the cops or took the plate number because the theives were just so cool-acting, as if it were a normal thing, so the neighbor thought it was friends.

But there is good, too...my Mom was crashed into by a hit-and-run and the kids nearby followed the van and reported the plate number to the cops.

From what I can tell, over here halfway around the world, is that the biggest shame about Puna is that home-builders are doing a 'rip-and-roll' clearing job, before building...tearing out and destroying any and all local flora...and then building on a nude lot.
                        what you doing in France,...did you marry a "frog"?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
                          what you doing in France,...did you marry a "frog"?
                          I thought so...but he turned out to be a TOAD!

Comment

I thought so...but he turned out to be a TOAD!
                            How long have you lived there, and in what part?

Comment

How long have you lived there, and in what part?
                              You gotta go over to the 'Life in France' thread...

I live in the very SW corner, about 50 kilometers from Biarritz. I used to live in Biarritz, right on the beach, but it's not like Hawaii...for one thing, the water is too cold, even in the summer. And the waves don't curl, but just plow through the ocean in triangle-shaped mountains.

Here, have a look www.rogerhallett.com put your mouse on the picture and it goes round and round...if you go too fast, you going get dizzy! Roger stood it the church belltower to do the painting, and I have to tell you that he took A LOT of artistic licence...the town is nowhere near as busy or as big as it looks in that painting! And, except for sometimes during the winter when it rains, (and floods houses) the river is usually just a trickle of a thing.

Comment

perfect!! I was looking at a place on a real estate Web site for da Big Island. It looks cool, and my wife loves it! Best part, it's in Hawaiian Paradise Park too! Why do you suppose there is little to no crime in HPP, but plenty in those other sub divisions, Eden Rock, Hawaiian Beaches, Leilani Estates, Fern Acres, Volcano Village. Craig, what type of crime are we talking about...B& E's, Ice maniacs, Mexican heroin dealers, murders,pot growers(hardly criminals), rapist,what kine are there? Seems to me I remember some years back of stories of some "dirty cops" who were supplying 'Ice', to young local Botunas. The under age local girls traded hand jobs for puffs off the devil's pipe...before they(police)got caught.

Anyway, I emailed the real estate lady on the Big Island about how I go about purchasing that house we fell in love with in Hawaiian Paradise Park!
                                3 bedroom, 21/2 baths, sits on one acre of fee simple land. Plus house is only one year old too!

One other question Craig. Tell me,is HPP in the pathway of any Volcano in the neighborhood? I'd sure hate to buy, and then watch house go up in flames one year! Yikes, the thought alone gives me Chicken Skin !
                                HPP is far enough away to be safe, Kapoho on the other hand is quite near.

As for crime, it's mostly people stealing stuff, no violent crimes against people. Ironically the stuff being stolen is mostly construction materials and tools.

Leilani Estates has become a target lately because of the type of housing boom going on there. Mostly vacation rentals so there are a lot of furnished vacant homes owned by mainlanders and Japanese nationals. Easy targets.

HPP on the other hand has more residential units occupied by families. Up near the highway where HPP starts you'll find more filipino and hawaiian families but as you drop down towards the ocean 4-miles in, it becomes more eclectic, more haole but a sprinkling of local and Oahu expatriates.

The reason why the crime rate is lower nearer the ocean is because it's quite a drive down to the ocean and if someone is spotted burglarizing a home that far down, there are only four ways out. Being four miles in it takes about 6-10 minutes to get out of HPP by then the neighborhood watch is all over you and HPP has a really good program going on there.

As for Puna being the wild wild west, you hear that mostly from Hiloans who rarely if ever venture into Keaau. Ironically the police blotter that is published in the Tribune lists more crimes and criminal warrants against people in Hilo.

Puna is safer than Oahu by a mile. HPP is one of the safer if not safest subdivisions in the lower Puna area.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X