Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budda Bar finds no peace in Waikiki

Originally posted by Albert
    There is one aspect of this thing .... Buddhists, especially Tibetan Buddhists, have no problem at all with consuming alcohol. I once spent a thoroughly (as it ended up) inebriated evening in a Tibetan Buddhist neighborhood of New Delhi where I consumed far too much of a sake-like brew they make from some grain (wheat? I'm not sure, nor can I remember what they called the stuff).

Doesn't excuse this rather tasteless idea for a bar name, but no one who opposes it can do so on the basis that Buddhists shun alcohol.

Panther, I'll bet it's this, eh?

"Tibetan rice wine, chhang, is made from fermented barley and occasionally rice or millet. It tastes mild but is seldom made with pure water and can sneak up on you after a few glasses, having a strong effect at Tibet's high altitudes. In some hotel Bars in they serves a delicious, mild chhang drink laced with honey."

http://www.green-lotus-trekking.com/...holic%20drinks

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      I think the comparison to a Jesus Bar is, in a way, actually quite illustrative of this disparity. If I opened up the "Jesus Lounge," with pictures of the Virgin Mary holding a Budweiser and using crosses a swizzle sticks, you bet your sweet bippy I'd be drowned in outrage.
      You know, there's the seed of a business plan in there. The Jesus Bar and Grill. Wine and crackers. Fish and loaves. Enjoy every meal as if it might be your Last Supper. Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        You know, there's the seed of a business plan in there. The Jesus Bar and Grill. Wine and crackers. Fish and loaves. Enjoy every meal as if it might be your Last Supper. Hmm...

hohaaa! good un.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

hey, and ... If he turns water into wine, hope he passes the savings onto the loyal clientele!

Comment

"chhang"

Yep, that's it! One of the sneakiest beverages I've ever encountered. Now if the Budda Bar serves that stuff, I'll change my mind about patronizing the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
              There is one aspect of this thing .... Buddhists, especially Tibetan Buddhists, have no problem at all with consuming alcohol. I once spent a thoroughly (as it ended up) inebriated evening in a Tibetan Buddhist neighborhood of New Delhi where I consumed far too much of a sake-like brew they make from some grain (wheat? I'm not sure, nor can I remember what they called the stuff).

Doesn't excuse this rather tasteless idea for a bar name, but no one who opposes it can do so on the basis that Buddhists shun alcohol.
              Was the area the New Tibetan Camp at Rajnukatilla(sp)? I had the pleasure of staying there last year, will probably go back next year on the way to a brief pilgrimage to Bodh Gaya and the other holy places of the Buddha. Fun place-I remember monks playing some checkers-like game on the side of the road at night(hopefully not for money...)

What you drank was probably either tong-ba(made from millet) or chang(made from barley). I've never tried tong-ba, but it's served in a tall glass with a straw to filter out the millet grains. Chang is more common, before I took vows I indulged a couple of times at Losar (Tibetan New Year's) parties in NYC. Very strong stuff.

It's almost as complex as the vegetarianism debate which seems to be brought up at least once a year on every Buddhist listserv I know.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

The proprieters should be free to offend anyone they want. If enough people are offended, they'll organize and try to keep others away from the establishment, and the proprieters will be out of business.

Or, the tremendous business upsurge, resultant from the enormous publicity, may allow them to open more in other cities.....

Comment

Working...
                X