Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electrical costs for Hawaii's public schools

Originally posted by sppam View Post
    It has to reach that temp or higher for something like 8 or 10 days within one month's time to qualify for a/c. And even then, it's only for the individual classroom.
    Hmmm. Sounds like penny-wise, pound-foolish. Wouldn't a larger system that covers the whole building be more efficient? But then what else would I expect from the DOE?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
      I'm not disagreeing. However ...

One hundred years ago, students and teachers in Hawaii seemed to learn at least as well as the students and teachers of today. And they wore a LOT more clothing back then. I'm always amazed when I look at those old photographs of people in Hawaii -- women wearing long-sleeved long dresses with petticoats, long woolen stockings, lace-up black shoes; men wearing long pants, jackets over their shirts, ties ...

They seemed to do all right. Are we just really wimpy, or spoiled, or what?
      While watching Deadwood I wondered how they could stand the heat while wearing those suits and hats... I bet 100 years ago they didnt have 30 kids packed into a classroom, in 20+ classrooms.

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      I think we're spoiled, and wimpy. And we also expect more of ourselves.

I wondered the same thing about Hawaiian businesses -- how in the world did they get anything done with no A/C, let alone no computers?

Part of the answer can be seen in the old buildings in Honolulu. They're tall-ceilinged and airy, with plenty of windows for daylight and ventilation. That was how you built, back then. It helped keep things as cool as feasible -- but it did take up more space. You couldn't cram workers in nearly as tightly as you can today with air conditioned buildings.

And part of the answer is that we didn't expect to get as much done, back then. Things took longer. And if you were to look at the curriculum of a typical school, I'm guessing that it wasn't packed quite as tightly as school curricula are today.
      100 years ago what was the most advanced class they taught? Was it just like English and Math?
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I just read about this:
        Kite powered electricity generator
        Imagine if there were tons of these flying around in hawaii =p I wonder if they could be made with aloha print patterns...
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
          I just read about this:
          Kite powered electricity generator
          Imagine if there were tons of these flying around in hawaii =p I wonder if they could be made with aloha print patterns...
          Interesting concept but somehow I see people in Hawaii detracting it as ugly on the landscape. You know how that goes.

I think this one holds promise, and the fact that it can be based several miles offshore would put it out of sight. Not to mention wave power is something we got plenty of.

http://www.oceanpd.com/default.html

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
            I'm not disagreeing. However ...

One hundred years ago, students and teachers in Hawaii seemed to learn at least as well as the students and teachers of today. And they wore a LOT more clothing back then. I'm always amazed when I look at those old photographs of people in Hawaii -- women wearing long-sleeved long dresses with petticoats, long woolen stockings, lace-up black shoes; men wearing long pants, jackets over their shirts, ties ...

They seemed to do all right. Are we just really wimpy, or spoiled, or what?
            But Maddie, back then temperatures weren't as high. I remember back in the early 80's when doing weather reports for our tropical environment the daytime and evening temperatures hardly changed by more than 10-degrees. Now we are breaking temperatures each year and our cold spells are lasting only a few days instead of a few weeks.

Another thing I've noticed is that our trades are diminishing. Before it was unusual to have "Kona" winds (sorry Aaron, TimKona and whoever else lives on West Hawaii) now we seem to have it almost regularly.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X