Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

Lee Cataluna wrote a very interesting column about Kawamoto and the Kahala homes in the Advertiser today, much along the lines of the questions I asked here earlier.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Lee Cataluna wrote a very interesting column about Kawamoto and the Kahala homes in the Advertiser today, much along the lines of the questions I asked here earlier.
      Thanks for the link, LikaNui. Don’t think Cataluna was asking quite the same questions, but I did enjoy her answer to your “jealous family and friends” concern:
      ...folks who could never hope to live in one of those homes, couldn't even picture visiting one, get a satisfied grin thinking of stone-fenced and brass-gated Kahala Avenue getting a little bit of Nanakuli next door.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        I dunno if billionaire Gensiro Kawamoto is really sincere, but I am giddy at the thought that he would want some of his properties in that area to be rented by kanaka maoli for $200/mo. Heh. It might cause some people who live there now to want to move somewhere else because "there goes the neighborhood".
        Why would someone want to do this? You must be joking. By the way, how about he let me live in Hawaii for $100.00USD/month? I will be happy to rent out and immigrate to Hawaii instead of mainland USA then.

I am not coming to USA just to see white people, but for seeing diverse people living along without prejudice. Maybe I will find a mixed wife to marry of more than two race. Maybe five or six different ethnicities. I think this way, no fast labels and we cannot sterotype anymore. Hawaii must be first place in the world to accept equality.

Maybe when I come to hawaii, I will have coffee with some of you. I see getting greencard is harder than I thought.

Comment

Not sure why his motives are so hard to discern.

He's a rich bastage.

He is investing his money in Hawaii properties for appreciation.

The rent money is immaterial to him -> so what if he has an extra 30-40K per month when he is worth billions.

He is doing some public good while investing his money. In 10 years his property values will have doubled and he's made some real families lives better.

Why would he possibly want to invest in Mayor Wrights rennovations? Where is the money in that? He is not a robin hood, he is a capitalist investor, just so happens he can do some good along the way that really doesn't cost him much.

who knows, maybe watching "Extreme Home Makeover" gave him the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ewatada View Post
            Maybe when I come to hawaii, I will have coffee with some of you. I see getting greencard is harder than I thought.
            Hui! H E L L O!!!! YEAH! You!!! I'm tired of seeing your silly arse writing about idiotic questions pertaining to nuttin! Stay where you are and do us a favor and DO NOT COME TO AMERICA!

Lynn Vasquez
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by ewatada View Post
              Hawaii must be first place in the world to accept equality.
              Einosuke, if only it were true. Maybe Hawai`i is different from the rest of America (in this aspect) because there are so many different cultures in a relatively confined space, so most people just learn that respecting and getting along with each other is sort of a "path of least resistance." The rest of the country could learn a lot from how cultures interact in the Islands.

But it's not perfect, and not everyone is treated equally, and racial hatred exists.

Keep learning.

Comment

Kawamoto may be sincere or he may be pulling a form of "blockbusting". It's hard for the owners to fight this one because it is for poor Hawaiians and therefore also a racial issue. By trashing up the homes and allowing in the low income folks, area home valves will go down and he could snap them up cheap and as soon as he does, kick out the Hawaiians, fix the pools, walls, ect and resell them for a hugh profit. I'm not totally sure that this is the intent, but it looks awful fishy to me. By the way I'm for affordable housing for all state residents which certainly should include ethnic Hawaiians. I'm also not going to loose sleep over wealthy investors that own these homes from the mainland. For more on "blockbusting", check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbusting
                Last edited by AlohaKine; April 10, 2007, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  Hui! H E L L O!!!! YEAH! You!!! I'm tired of seeing your silly arse writing about idiotic questions pertaining to nuttin! Stay where you are and do us a favor and DO NOT COME TO AMERICA!

Lynn Vasquez

http://hawaii.uscity.net/Anger_Management

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                    I humbly APOLOGIZE foa my OUTBURST dis morning.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No worries Auntie Lynn, sometimes gotta let off stress. Main thing we take it out on the Threads and nothing else....
                      Oggboy
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                        He's a rich bastage. He is investing his money in Hawaii properties for appreciation. The rent money is immaterial to him -> so what if he has an extra 30-40K per month when he is worth billions. In 10 years his property values will have doubled and he's made some real families lives better.

Why would he possibly want to invest in Mayor Wrights rennovations? Where is the money in that? He is not a robin hood, he is a capitalist investor, just so happens he can do some good along the way that really doesn't cost him much.
                        This is what I have been trying to explain to LikaNui, but apparently, even joshuatree couldn’t seem to grasp this concept.

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                        Kawamoto may be sincere or he may be pulling a form of "blockbusting" ... By trashing up the homes and allowing in the low income folks, area home valves will go down and he could snap them up cheap and as soon as he does, kick out the Hawaiians, fix the pools, walls, etc and resell them for a hugh profit. I'm not totally sure that this is the intent, but it looks awful fishy to me.
                        I on the other hand, am sure that is what is his intent. Under either 808shooter’s scenario or yours, Kawamoto ends up laughing all the way to the bank. Plus he looks like a hero to poor native Hawaiians. Talk about a win-win-win situation for him.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          This is what I have been trying to explain to LikaNui, but apparently, even joshuatree couldn’t seem to grasp this concept.

I on the other hand, am sure that is what is his intent. Under either 808shooter’s scenario or yours, Kawamoto ends up laughing all the way to the bank. Plus he looks like a hero to poor native Hawaiians. Talk about a win-win-win situation for him.
                          I grasp the concept just fine. I don't think I ever said Kawamoto isn't in it for the money, in this case, the long-term money. All I said is if he is sincerely genuine about helping the poor, then he could do something like buying up and upgrading Mayor Wrights and putting it under a non-profit foundation. Some rich people do end up doing a lot of philanthropy in their latter years. I personally think it's an ego thing because it will build a lasting legacy but nonetheless, the result is beneficial to the poor. So I said in Kawamoto's case, it's a wait and see approach. All the theories tossed out here are legit, just a matter of seeing which theory Kawamoto will pursue.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            No, the concept you are not grasping is that JT and I have said nothing about Kawamoto making a profit. (Please read that sentence again before moving on.)
                            What we have said is that since he is a mega-billionaire who claims to want to do something for the 'locals', he could make a better impression by providing a huge number of residences (ala Mayor Wright, etc.) instead of just four mansions.
                            Get it now? Hundreds of residences as opposed to four? Nothing to do with profit; everything to do with PR and image.
                            Don't know how we can explain the concept to you in any simpler terms.

Comment

Whoa, JT, good job! A similar reply to mine, and within one minute of each other!
                              [/high five]

Comment

What we have said is that since he is a mega-billionaire who claims to want to do something for the 'locals', he could make a better impression by providing a huge number of residences (ala Mayor Wright, etc.) instead of just four mansions.

Get it now? Hundreds of residences as opposed to four? Nothing to do with profit; everything to do with PR and image.
                                And my point is that your assumption that Kawamoto would lose money purely for the sake of “PR and image” is a rediculous, laughable conclusion. (Especially since so many HT’rs have posted far more plausible theories) That’s all.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X