Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for Japanese DVDs

Originally posted by brianca View Post
    Sure. I've used both yesasia and amazon.co.jp. I was hoping to find something local and that sells used would be even better.
    You might consider joining the Friends of the Library of Hawai'i. Periodically, they sell donated Japanese books, CDs, and DVDs at "book sales" held at different library branches. Just a couple of weeks ago, I picked up several Japanese DVDs from the "book sale" held at the Hilo Branch for $2 each.

Cheers,

Jonah K
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

so the swap meet is mostly tourist stuff and not a traditional swap meet with all kinds of stuff?

Comment

i don't know what kind of response you'd get, if any, but what about posting want ads at places like UH, the japanese cultural center, etc.?
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for Region 2? I don't think there would be much market for it here in Region 1.

Comment

so the swap meet is mostly tourist stuff and not a traditional swap meet with all kinds of stuff?
            In my experience Aloha Swap Meet's geared for the tourists. Before I go to the mainland and I'm in need of cheesy Hawaii stuff (READ: omiyage!), I go to Aloha Swap Meet.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm interested in the japanese tracks. It's always interesting to see how they do the real world translations.

Since japanese is probably the second or third largest language spoken here, I'd think they'd be pretty plentiful around here.

There is a pretty good rental market for them here.

Comment

Since japanese is probably the second or third largest language spoken here, I'd think they'd be pretty plentiful around here.

There is a pretty good rental market for them here.
                That's a probably a mistaken assumption. I've found more Japanese DVD rental stores in Torrance, California than in the entire state of Hawai'i. It probably has something to do with the U.S. headquarters of Toyota and Honda being located there.

Comment

There are around 6 japanese video rental places around honolulu. That's good enough for me. They just don't sell the DVDs. I'm talking to a couple about special orders next time they place an order, so that might work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                    That's a probably a mistaken assumption. I've found more Japanese DVD rental stores in Torrance, California than in the entire state of Hawai'i. It probably has something to do with the U.S. headquarters of Toyota and Honda being located there.
                    How about Japanese audio CDs? Out of curiosity...

Comment

There are quite a few of those, both new and used as well in and around honolulu. I don't know about the other islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                        How about Japanese audio CDs? Out of curiosity...
                        For Japanese music CDs, I usually go to one of the larger Book-Off stores in California (Gardena, Torrance, or Fountain Valley), instead of the puny one that they have in the Shirokiya at Ala Moana. However, YesAsia.com is pretty good and there's a growing selection of Japanese music on iTunes.

Comment

With audio CDs, at least we don't have "region" issues.

The Kinokuniya bookstore at Uwajimaya in Seattle's International District has a pretty decent selection of Japanese CDs; Bard - do they have the same store at the Beaverton Uwaji?

Comment

If you watch a lot of japanese DVDs, it's well worth it to invest in either a japanese DVD player or a region free player. The japanese DVD player is a better bet if you watch a lot, but region free will work with almost all titles at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              With audio CDs, at least we don't have "region" issues.

The Kinokuniya bookstore at Uwajimaya in Seattle's International District has a pretty decent selection of Japanese CDs; Bard - do they have the same store at the Beaverton Uwaji?
                              Yeah, region locking is goofy.. :\ Our local Uwajimaya does indeed have a Kinokuniya. It's no where near the San Fran one size-wise, but they have a reasonable selection.

Comment

If you watch a lot of japanese DVDs, it's well worth it to invest in either a japanese DVD player or a region free player. The japanese DVD player is a better bet if you watch a lot, but region free will work with almost all titles at this point.
                                You don't need to invest in a Japanese DVD player or a "region free" player to watch Japanese DVDs if you have a computer and the appropriate software.

Comment

Working...
                                X