Carlyle Bid for Verizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carlyle Bid for Verizon

I'm placing bets that you will have a new owner of Hawaiian Telecom (aka Verizon) within 2-3 years. I hope in that interim the phone services you've come to depend on don't deteriorate too badly.

"...Carlyle brought extensive telecommunications experience when it purchased Verizon Hawaii. However, the private equity group isn't expected to keep the state's major phone company long term.

"I don't think we could find a company that's more disinterested in customer service than Carlyle," said Ray Greiner, a Verizon DSL customer in Kapolei. "They're just interested in making a buck...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well since the deal has gone through, I'm willing to try to give Carlyle the
      benefit of the doubt.There is a 9 month transition window from tomorrow
      that most telephone services will be uneffected. So I'm not too worried about
      it at this point. Ask me in 9 months when I'll probably have to switch to the
      in-house Hawaiian Telcom ISP for DSL service. All I do know is I'll never go
      back to Road Runner or Oceanic Cable for Internet service.

As for Carlyle dumping Hawaii Telcom in the 2-3 years, its a definate possibility
      but Carlyle would have to go through a drawn out process of 1 year of regulatory review before any sale can be consummated.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Hawaii Telcom has a website too now http://hawaiiantel.com/.
        Carlyle took out a full page ad in the West Hawaii Today in
        regards to completion of this purchase.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

So, will this replace Verizon Wireless, or what?

If it will, then will it piggyback on VZW's former Hawaii network, or make a new network?

And what about the features VZW gave? (PTT, wireless internet, etc)
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Verizon Wireless will still be operating here. Carlyle bought Verizon Hawaii
            which included all residential and commercial landlines in Hawaii They also
            acquired the Verizon Hawaii yellow pages business and all DSL accounts
            here that were being serviced by Verizon Online.

Businesses excluded from this purchase were Verizon Federal Inc and
            Verizon Wireless.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              Verizon Wireless will still be operating here. Carlyle bought Verizon Hawaii
              which included all residential and commercial landlines in Hawaii They also
              acquired the Verizon Hawaii yellow pages business and all DSL accounts
              here that were being serviced by Verizon Online.

Businesses excluded from this purchase were Verizon Federal Inc and
              Verizon Wireless.
              So, Hawaii Telcom and VZW are 2 different companies?
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Yes that is correct
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                X