Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is mine bigger than yours? (tax refunds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is mine bigger than yours? (tax refunds)

Fed:1279
    HI: 529

I'ma make it rain
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

We gotsta wait for the statements from the jobs.
      But then, woohoo! the stack of deductions keeps pilin' up!

Comment

2008 taxes

1013.00 Federal
        229.00 State

I filed both my state and federal taxes already. I should be getting my refund
        by the end of January/ early February.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Yours is BIGGER! I'm going to have to fork more money to the Feds. Around $2K, primarily self-employment tax (FICA). State? Small refund, maybe $700.

Comment

Mrs. Menehune and I together made $61,512.06 in 2008.
            Fed withheld= $7,818.11 Fed refund= $2,077.11
            State withheld= $3,718.65 State refund= $449

Social Security withheld= $3,946.95
            Medicare withheld= $923.08
            Retirement fund= $2,148.44 added during '08

We are both 46, have no kids, special credits, exemptions, or deductions...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm with Craig on this one. Just bought my first house in 2008 and didn't change any deductions. Hence refund>$10k. Opportunity cost wasn't really that high though, interest rates were piss this past year and if I put it in the market I would have been screwed so it actually worked out pretty well. Definitely changing deductions though.
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I refuse to answer on the grounds that they might take it ALL away from us!

But, since we got a 'professional' to tell us where our former years using TurboTax went wrong... we are going to have a VERY prosperous summer!
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                  I'm with Craig on this one. Just bought my first house in 2008 and didn't change any deductions. Hence refund>$10k.
                  The same thing happened to me. It sure was nice getting a big fat return check, but yeah, I fixed my deductions right after that.

Comment

So...I gots a questions. I worked for a whopping 5 days in 2008 in Hawaii. We filed that in our taxes (which we already sent off, got our return- thankfully, since J was laid off last month). TX doesn't have a state income tax. I made a whole $180 while I was working in Hawaii and owe the state $5.75, I think.

J says not to worry about sending in my $5.75 since I didn't make over a certain amount while working there. I know that rule applies for federal taxes, but does it apply for state income tax as well? I know it's less than $6, but I really don't want the IRS to come beating down my door and hauling me away over this. Hey- stranger things have happened!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

That would be RAD if the irs beat down your door and then deported you back here to settle your $6 debt!!!!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        So...I gots a questions. I worked for a whopping 5 days in 2008 in Hawaii. We filed that in our taxes (which we already sent off, got our return- thankfully, since J was laid off last month). TX doesn't have a state income tax. I made a whole $180 while I was working in Hawaii and owe the state $5.75, I think.
                        And this is with the State of Hawaii N-13 tax form? Also the real question is during the time in Hawaii did you claim residence in Hawaii or was that in Texas?

Where did you get the $5.75 value from? Did you get a W-2 from your time working in Hawaii?
                        Last edited by helen; April 14, 2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          That would be RAD if the irs beat down your door and then deported you back here to settle your $6 debt!!!!
                          Yeah, somehow I don't think they're gonna take me back to Hawaii, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd send them taunting letters.

Yes, I got W2 from my employer and we entered the info into Turbo Tax, which is where we got the numbers from. I don't remember the exact numbers, which is why they may seem off, but I know I made some stupid amount of $$ and I owe $5 and change.

And no, I never claimed Hawaii citizenship. My husband's company rented our house in their name. We still have our house here that we own and kept our TX DL's.

ETA: As I'm writing this, J just informed me that he went ahead and sent in the $6 like weeks ago. So I'm not on the wanted list anymore! Yay!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

$ 3327 - Federal
                            $ 1424 - State
                            I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X