X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 2

Originally posted by helen
    Lihue's Wal-Mart is not a 24 hour operation. As far as Keeaumoku's Wal-Mart, I don't know but Daiei is open 24 hours, so if someone needed to get something late night then that is available.
    But if Daiei leaves town because of competition from WM, what will those townies who reallygottahaveit going to do? Drive to Mililani?

That's also why I asked the question about why Sam's Club is on the 1st floor and WM on top? If they were positioning that WM to be open 24x7, wouldn't it have made more sense to put it on the bottom so it would be easier to secure the Sam's Club and the yup retail outlets from the ruffians and hoodlums who prowl Keeaumoku late at night? Duuuuuhhhh...

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 17, 2004, 03:50 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kimo, I despise Walmart and everything it stands for, but your right, by myself hating them so much and mentioning them alot in discussions it gives them free publicity. Oh well.

Makiki Boy

Comment

Originally posted by makikiboy
        Kimo, I despise Walmart and everything it stands for, but your right, by myself hating them so much and mentioning them alot in discussions it gives them free publicity. Oh well.

Makiki Boy
        Hui Makiki Boy! No worry, get plenty kine people who feel da same way as you. But gotta talk about dis stuff so da people who still like shop ova dea undastand da tradeoffs dey stay be making wen dey make dat choice to shop at WM.

If everyting go hangamajang, it won't be because you and da oddas neva say anyting. "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If the megaplex indeed isn't 24 hours, then it leaves some breathing room for other all-night businesses, from Daiei up the street to the Pali Longs Drugs store.

Trust me, forget rabid "gottahaveitrightnow" consumerism... especially if you have kids, I think, you know that there are still those occasional moments when you really need to shop at 3 a.m. for some ridiculous household item. That Pali Longs saved me more than a few late nights when I lived in town.

I suspect, depending on the returns at the megaplex and the volume of folks they have to herd out the door at closing time, there's still a decent chance they can go around the clock. Hell, of all neighborhoods, Keeaumoku is one of the few places where there's pedestrian traffic all hours of the day.

Whether they're pedestrians you want in your store is another matter, of course!

Comment

I dunno if people rememba small keed time wen da stores no stay open 24x7. In fact, most stores neva stay open on Sundays, eitha! So wat did we and our parents do if we wen run short of something??? We wen wait until da store open up again next day or Monday! Somehow or odda, we survived!

Das why Moloka'i life is soooooo cool (and why I tink Craig stay so blissed out in Keaau). If no moa da kine, den you going make do wit wat you got. Neva mine da convenience factor. Why city peeps stay all stressed out is because dey tink dey gotta live lidat--da "gottahaveitnow" factor and da "if it's broken we go out and buy one moa...no need try fix" (me included). Ho! Da peeps on Moloka'i may be poorer den da rest of us in material goods, but dey get sooooo much more in da way of values and time wit ohana.

Like Lilo and Stitch say, "Ohana means no one gets left behind."

Miulang

Comment

At first my wife was so disappointed that supermarkets weren't 24-hours like Safeway in Manoa or Longs in McCully. She said, "what am I going to do?"

Now she's fine with the basicness of living in the rural sense. We appreciate the simple things in life, like lots of rain to fill our two 5,000 gallon catchment tanks with water, fresh air to breathe selfishly and lots of space to clear the mind!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Gawd, not even devastating hurricanes in the Southeast US slow down the WM juggernaut! (see here: http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?x203752334).
                And the Keeaumoku store opening (I assume that'll still happen in Oct.) will fit in nicely with WM's next quarterly earnings report. (Nice that you Honolulu-ans---or is that Honolulu-ites?-- will be sending your hard-earned kala to the money making machinery in Bensonville, AR.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang

isnt that appropriately haole and outdizzylandish!?

ohana does NOT mean "a left behind."

defining a Hawaiian word with negatives;
                  no one.
                  left.
                  behind...

Comment

will be sending your hard-earned kala to the money making machinery in Bensonville, AR.
                    I don't have a problem this. Sometimes my money goes to Japan (Daiei), other times to Chicago (Sears), sometimes to California (Longs Drugs), other times it's Kirkland, WA (Costco) and sometimes it ends up in some locally owned stores ever mind the fact that they bought their stuff that they sold to me from places like Costco or maybe Sam's Club.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      isnt that appropriately haole and outdizzylandish!?

ohana does NOT mean "a left behind."

defining a Hawaiian word with negatives;
                      no one.
                      left.
                      behind...
                      Kden. If not da left okole, den da right okole! Actually, here is a definition of ohana that's a little less simplistic than the Lilo'nStitch version. Afta all, Lilo'nStitch was supposed to be a tale meant for da keiki. Much less dizzyland but something worth emulating, I think is da definition below:

Ohana is defined as a group of both closely and distantly related people who share nearly everything, from land and food to children and status. Sharing is central to this value since it prevents individual decline.

Dis from "Alternative-Hawaii" (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/hacul/beliefs.htm). So in dis case, if you talking about perpetuating righteousness in da 'aina, da common thread is that you all gotta live on one pakanini lido island dat running out of everyting!

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; September 18, 2004, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I think the saying went like, "Ohana is Family where no one is left behind" The key word is Family because families tend to stick together yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          I think the saying went like, "Ohana is Family where no one is left behind" The key word is Family because families tend to stick together yeah?
                          Yeah, but what constitutes a family ? Just your blood relatives, or anyone who has something in common with you? You know that in the Hawaiian culture, you can hanai people who aren't related to you. That's why everyone is either "Uncle" or "Aunty" or "Bruddah" or "Tita" or "Calabash cousin." And I think that's very very cool.

Miulang

Comment

I guess family in the local sense is whomever you'd trust taking care of your children for free when you want to go holo holo to the R-rated movies with your honey.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              I guess family in the local sense is whomever you'd trust taking care of your children for free when you want to go holo holo to the R-rated movies with your honey.
                              that too!

Comment

Continuing this non-WM tangent, I think it bears noting that Disney didn't say exactly that. The specific definition was, "Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind." It seemed like they knew enough not to try and attach that whole phrase to the word "ohana," and snuck in the "left behind" with some creative sentence parsing.

As for what "ohana" means to a local, the question reminds me a bit of the "uncles and aunties" thread. Cue Sister Sledge... We! Are! Family!

Comment

Working...
                                X