Favorite Shopping Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Shopping Center

Where's your favorite shopping center or mall? (see poll)

What do you like about it? Layout? Ambience? Store selection? Price? Convenience? Parking? The people that go or work there? Other?

There's a poll for the major shopping centers located on Oahu, Hawaii, but mention any one you like, wherever your neck of the woods are. Even the small ones like the neighborhood strip mall or plaza.

Go into the details. Each store. Each restaurant. Each business. The security. The management. The lease rent. Fun factor. Deal factor. Other factor.
    Ala Moana Center
    58.33%
    Kahala Mall
    5.56%
    Pearlridge
    11.11%
    Windward Mall
    16.67%
    Other
    8.33%
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite Shopping Center

Ala Moana shopping center is in walking distance to me plus a major bus stop.

Comment

For the record, I pretty much DESPISE shopping centers. "Mall Phobia" if you will. I'm a purpose-driven consumer. NOT a "shopper".

While it's a nice place to watch beautiful women doing what they love most (shopping), the whole "scene" isn't my thing. I've never worked in a mall, and God forbid, never will.

Still, my visit to Ala Moana Center tonight inspired the thought of what makes shopping centers such a draw. The responses to this thread will surely be interesting to read.

Secondly, I purposely left out Victoria Ward Center in the poll, because it's too spread out of a "facility" to be considered one cohesive "shopping center", and their major growth has only been recent (within the last 10 years). But indeed include it in your "other" response, if you like it there. I do. Mainly for Farmer's Market. As you might know, they're owned by General Growth, who also owns Ala Moana Center.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

you couldn't chain me to a bumper and drag me to Pearlridge or Waikele.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          For the record, I pretty much DESPISE shopping centers. "Mall Phobia" if you will. I'm a purpose-driven consumer. NOT a "shopper".[...]
          That's me to a "T"!!! I just don't understand recreational shopping. I'd rather have a root canal! With that in mind, for clothing or gifts I'll opt for Ward Warehouse. I have one clothing store I like at AMC and will usually check it out in conjunction with a ProCare appt. at the Apple Store. The Apple Store is the only reason I go to AMC.

I prefer to combine errands so will usually hit up Longs and Safeway back to back at the non-shopping center on the corner of Pali and Vineyard or at Kapolei...whatever that shopping center is called!

I much prefer online shopping for gifts and household items but, even then, I get bored within 30 minutes! I actually use a personal shopper when I have a somewhat lengthy Costco list. The added benefit is he schleps everything upstairs to my office! I'm too impulsive in Costco so, even with the personal shopper's fee, I know I'm saving money in the long run!

Comment

For shopping, Pearlridge or Ward. Ideally, Waikele but too far and need to make one bus transfer per one-way trip. Rail better take me from Dillingham to Waikele in one trip.

For people-watching, Ala Moana, especially on very hot and humid days.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Shopping Ughhh!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

If I go to a mall, it's only because of the family and it's usually Windward Mall, if I had to pick a favorite. Like Pomai, I'm also PD. When we do go I always make sure I get over to the Sears tool dept., though.

Windward Mall may be a farther drive than Pearlridge, but it always has parking and is usually more laid back than, say, AMSC. No frenzied tourists and upscale shops. Also, it's quieter. For some reason, Pearlridge draws out the animals with the mega subwoofers and they constantly cruise the parking lots blasting gansta rap with everyother word starting with "F" or "Mutha...."

As for good eats it's pretty dismal, but we usually make do with what they have which is still way better than Pearlridge, IMO. We have yet to try the new IHOP and the the new Farrels didn't impress us much. AMSC or the Ward compex probably has the best eats.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                  If I go to a mall, it's only because of the family and it's usually Windward Mall, if I had to pick a favorite. Like Pomai, I'm also PD. When we do go I always make sure I get over to the Sears tool dept., though.
                  It's probably safe to say most of the (straight) fellahz here are "purpose-driven consumers", not "shoppers".

Here's my M.O.: Need new work slacks. Who has the deals? Sears and Ross. Get in car, drive to Ross. Look through selection. Try pants on. Buy. Leave Ross. Leave mall. Pau. Go home.

On the contrary, I can drop my aunt off at Kahala Mall and leave her there the whole day and she's a happy camper. She'll slowly make her way through EVERY STORE just to browse. Sometimes buy, but mostly browse.

God, if I had to endure a day with her in the mall, I'd probably hang myself.
                  Last edited by Pomai; April 7, 2007, 09:47 AM. Reason: sp
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]On the contrary, I can drop my aunt off at Kahala Mall and leave her there the whole day and she's a happy camper. She'll slowly make her way through EVERY STORE just to browse. Sometimes buy, but mostly browse.

God, if I had to endure a day with her in the mall, I'd probably hang myself.
                    Egads...I'd take 2 root canals over that!!! I don't mind Kahala Mall, tho', 'cuz it's small and, for the most part, not crowded. Still, it's a get in and get out proposition!

I have friends who visit me from Georgia for a month every year or 2. Every day is spent cruising malls. Every...single...day! They love buying things in general but especially for their grandkids. At least 2 times during their Hawaii stay they end up boxing up their purchases and shipping them back to Georgia!

Different strokes for different folks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I have friends who visit me from Georgia for a month every year or 2. Every day is spent cruising malls. Every...single...day!
                      Been there, seen that. Just a few weeks ago when my other aunt came in from Maryland. That's all she and her friends did. Shop. Site seeing just one day, and the rest of the week shopping.

Here's the places I frequent on a regular basis, with the stores most specific to my needs:
                      • Hawaii Kai Towne Center: Costco, Ross, City Mill, NAPA Auto Parts, Kaiser Clinic
                      • Hawaii Kai Shopping Center: Safeway, Long's, The Shack
                      • Aina Haina Shopping Center: Foodland, FHB, Post Office, Chucky Cheese.. just kidding.
                      • Ala Moana Center: Shirokiya, Sears, Long's Sam Goody, Food Court, Mai Tai Bar (on Fridays to watch Kimo play)
                      • Victoria Ward Center: Marukai, Tropic Fish & Vegetable Market

I don't care for Kahala Mall. The enclosed hallway-like layout is a bit confusing and kinda' claustrophobic, IMO. And the parking is usually tight. I like malls where I can pull in without having to circle the lot for 5 minutes just to get a stall.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Count me in with the "purpose-driven" contingent, please. I know exactly what I want and (usually) exactly where to get it. In, purchase, out, pau.
                        If I have to get something at Ward Center, every now and then I'll mosey into a few other shops if their window displays entice me, just to see what's on the market these days. And living on the windward side, it's Windward Mall for me if I have to get something, but again in and out.
                        And any trip to a mall I'll only do early and on a weekday, to avoid crowds and teens.
                        Also, the occasional (rare) quick run to the swap meet at Aloha Stadium if I need something they might have.
                        Overall, though, I try to support mom-and-pop stores whenever possible.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]I don't care for Kahala Mall. The enclosed hallway-like layout is a bit confusing and kinda' claustrophobic, IMO.
                          That's the difference between a mall and a shopping center! If it's raining I prefer a mall.
                          And the parking is usually tight. I like malls where I can pull in without having to circle the lot for 5 minutes just to get a stall.
                          With the exception of the holidays I've found parking availability to be one of the reasons I'll stop at Kahala Mall...esp. since the extra decks were added a few years ago. I tend to avoid week-ends, tho'.

Hey! Why didn't Waianae Mall (even tho' it's a shopping center!) make the poll list? It has a Longs, City Mill, Blockbusters, Radio Shack, Burger King, Subway and a few other shops that escape my memory!

Comment

A mall is a mall and ya know I had no particular faves but my heart leans to PEARLRIDGE of course! Well thats the ONLY mall where da braddahs and sistas converge together while there.

I like Ala Moana Center but they were turning gradually into Tourist Central. Since leaving Oahu in mid 1998 I know AMC has changed a lot since then.
                            The pics that I have seen look NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEEEEE and if I do find myself back I will be just so dizzy with the changes around me.

Kahala was awright. The only thing goin for me was when I used to check out TOWERS before they went *POOF* and mozied over to BARNES AND NOBLES that was there also.

I am not much of a shopping guy. Mostly its LONGS DRUGS, what was out musicwise at Sam Goodys (who I used to work for), or what was at the now defunct Tower Records or what deals I could find at Ross Dress For Less thats over at Pearlridge.

Comment

I like the malls that play my music mixes.

What?

Comment

Working...
                              X