• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palolo Joe
    replied
    Re: Defunct Movie Theaters

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I wish there was a benefactor who needed a tax write-off and was willing to rehab the place and turn it into an indie film venue...for local filmmakers only...a place to showcase their work year around on the big screen.
    From what I heard, it's the owner(s) of the property who doesn't want to sell.

There have been offers.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Going from memory either a parking structure or a building.

Leave a comment:

• DannyWilliams
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    The King Theater is mentioned in the original post.

Yes it was mentioned, I see that

What I was aiming for is WHAT STANDS in its space now

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    [...]Queen Theater still sits rotting away to this day. Very sad. Too bad nobody can go fix it up and turn it back into some of the older style theaters I remember seeing on the mainland.[...]
    I wish there was a benefactor who needed a tax write-off and was willing to rehab the place and turn it into an indie film venue...for local filmmakers only...a place to showcase their work year around on the big screen.
    Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Used to have a drive-in theatre in Waianae, [...]
    Really? Where in Waianae?
    Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    [...]And I do recall A small iddy biddy theater called "Cameo" that became the downstairs portion of Pink Cadillac. What is there now?
    A laundromat? Not really sure but I'll be driving by there in a couple of hours and I'll try to remember to look!

ETA: I wonder how long it will be before we're reminiscing about today's theaters?

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

The only time I went to the King Theater is to see Escape from New York.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

The King Theater is mentioned in the original post.

Leave a comment:

• DannyWilliams
    replied

WHAT?

No mention of The King Theaters that used to be part of The Royal Chain? It was right across from Liberty House (when it was still there) in Downtown Fort Street Mall
    Last I know b4 I left da islands it turned into a parking lot complex. Is it still there?

And I do recall A small iddy biddy theater called "Cameo" that became the downstairs portion of Pink Cadillac. What is there now?

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

If someone is looking for a project, something that would be neat is a set of photos of theaters - then and now. Some would still be there, but serving other purposes, and some would be gone.

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Used to have a drive-in theatre in Waianae, but was already falling apart when I was in high school. No forget Kailua Drive-in. Kam has gone to heck.

Wailua Theatre is still standing, but no longer a theatre.

Haleiwa is a McD's.

Wahiawa Theatre is a bank.

Victory Theatre is now Sunnyside.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

The Holiday Theater is Laie still operates as part of the chain that also owns Restaurant Row theaters. The theater was split in 2 and they don't show dollar movies like they do at Restaurant Row.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    The Empress was never a Hope Chapel, but it was Calvary Chapel of Honolulu before that church moved to Aiea. There's a new church there now. When I was in high school in the 80s, the Empress and Toyo both showed Asian films, and some friends and I caught a few pictures there after school.

Nobody's mentioned the old Waipahu Theater, which in its heyday was a huge part of life on and around Depot Road. By the mid-70s it was an adult theater, and by the late 80s it was the home of City of Refuge Church.

Don't forget the Holiday Theatera in Nanakuli and Laie.
    Wasn't there another threater across from the Empress, Liberty? Which was razed and is now an open parking lot?

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

The Empress was never a Hope Chapel, but it was Calvary Chapel of Honolulu before that church moved to Aiea. There's a new church there now. When I was in high school in the 80s, the Empress and Toyo both showed Asian films, and some friends and I caught a few pictures there after school.

Nobody's mentioned the old Waipahu Theater, which in its heyday was a huge part of life on and around Depot Road. By the mid-70s it was an adult theater, and by the late 80s it was the home of City of Refuge Church.

Don't forget the Holiday Theatera in Nanakuli and Laie.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
    Haven't we had this conversation before?
    If you are talking about the thread titled Your favorite movie theater then maybe yeah, however the original intention of the thread (which I failed to mention) was your current favorite movie theater. Out of the 54 notes in the thread, 7 of them did mention current theaters, the rest of them was going down memory lane, so one is kind of left with the question does anyone go to a movie theater now a days?

Leave a comment:

• Palama Kid
    replied

Haven't we had this conversation before?

Anyways, I remember the Liberty Theatre one short block makai of Beretania and Nuuanu.

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

I remember the Pearlridge West Theaters they are now a series of restaurants or military recruiting offices now I think.

The Pearlridge Theaters now as we know it was once Jewelcor during the 1970's.

The Marina Twin Theaters was located next to the old Kaiser Hospital, the one they demolished during a episode of Magnum and is now known as the Hawaii Prince Hotels if I remember right.

Aj

Leave a comment:

Working...
X