Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pop-up" music

Okay, this is my grumble of the day!

While searching for the lyrics to a song online, every site I found had HORRID pop-up midi-files playing the song...with no mechanism to cancel those awful noises. Argh!!!

Down with pop-up music!
    Down with midi-files!

Ahhhhh....mahalo for letting me vent.

Re: "Pop-up" music

I am wary about going to music sites after hearing that some sites like Kazaa download (or used to) spyware or unwanted software onto computers without warning.

Comment

I'm with you, Auntie.

Back when I was with Muzak, I would be listening to music files on our computer system (as part of my job), while doing research at other music websites. When the other sites had music that popped up, it disrupted what I was working on.

Pfah! I don't even like ones where I have to shut it off (like MySpace); I don't want the music (or a commercial video) to start up when I get to any site, unless it's something where I am choosing to listen to music (like a stream of a radio feed.)

Comment

In the cases of lyrics sites, the music pop-ups are a necessary evil. Most of those sites are businesses. They are providing information you sought and received for no charge. Yes, it's obnoxious and loathesome, but you got what you wanted, right?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          In the cases of lyrics sites, the music pop-ups are a necessary evil. Most of those sites are businesses. They are providing information you sought and received for no charge. Yes, it's obnoxious and loathesome, but you got what you wanted, right?
          Why would I want an audio pop-up when I am seeking only lyric texts?

In addition, a majority of lyric websites are fan-operated, rather than businesses (and, as such, have been fighting ongoing battles over the right to post said lyrics.) These lyric websites have also been prime carriers of viruses, usually ones that affect IE most of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Why would I want an audio pop-up when I am seeking only lyric texts?
            My guess that the audio is there to drive either music sales or clicks to relevant ads. I don't know; I'm no businessperson.

In addition, a majority of lyric websites are fan-operated, rather than businesses (and, as such, have been fighting ongoing battles over the right to post said lyrics.) These lyric websites have also been prime carriers of viruses, usually ones that affect IE most of all.
            Every one of those lyrics sites has Google Ads or something similar; I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did not also have iTunes and Amazon affiliate membership.

I don't know about the viruses, but all that adware and spyware is probably also generating revenue for someone.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
            X