Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

I didn't know that. I just wanted the Zune because the larger screen looked like it made it something I could use to show friends some of my photos.

I was looking at some other things like hard drives and they seem to be disappearing at a good clip (10% off).

Comment

The Kakaako CUSA is already out of a lot of basic stuff.

I'll miss them, because they were next door. I spent more than a million dollars there.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        I'll miss them, because they were next door.
        I'll miss them, too. While I disliked the generally unknowledgeable staff there (you're giving me crap about CF cards?). They had what I needed when I needed it (DVD-Rs and stuff like that). I just made it a point to avoid contact with anyone in a red shirt there.

Comment

Happen to waltz into a CompUsa location here over the weekend....

Signs are up and they have signs stating save up to 20% which excludes computers and mp3 players.....

Majority of the stock is 10% (ooooooh da savings) but figure ya have to spend at least $100 or more per item to really get the savings on what your spending on. I will hold out on the last week of December to see if their % percentage goes up more saaaay 50?

Still sad that what killed CompUsa here is management did not focus on CUSTOMER SERVICE, Training of Employees so that they KNOW the merchandise in and out being sold and ringing them up in a timely fashion is what brings them back! Though their pricing of stock is on the high end they claim there was too much competition.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
            Still sad that what killed CompUsa here is management did not focus on CUSTOMER SERVICE, Training of Employees so that they KNOW the merchandise in and out being sold and ringing them up in a timely fashion is what brings them back!
            While I understand that sentiment, I still sympathize for sales associates in this kind of retail environment.

The computer industry is so dynamic, and to know each and every product, including software and how to use it is almost impossible.

I'm willing to bet 90% of computer users at home are less than 50% fluent with the programs they use. And just as much are less in hardware knowledge. Compound all the variables such as drivers, and generally bad hard drive housekeeping, then take those problems upon a sales person in a retail store is just, no way. No way can that person (employee) help.

Ever try helping elderly folks with computers? Ackkk! I know. Trust me. Nightmares! I love them, but when it comes to computers, they're almost impossible to teach. My dad was an exception. He ran circles around me on the computer.

If there were more Craig Watanabe's out there in computer retailville, that'd be wonderful, but that's just wishful thinking.

My strategy in shopping brick 'n mortars, whether it be electronics, car, or anything high-end or technical, is to research it online first via editor and user reviews, then look around town for the deals. Once I'm in the store, I know exactly what I'm there for. Works every time!
            Last edited by Pomai; December 17, 2007, 03:54 AM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Driving home on Kamehameha Highway through Pearl City, I noticed that CompUSA had a guy standing on a corner with a sign proclaiming the "up to 20 percent off" clearance. He had a smile frozen on his face, a shaka frozen on the end of his arm. I guess signholding for CompUSA beats signholding for a mattress store... but not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                While I disliked the generally unknowledgeable staff there (you're giving me crap about CF cards?). They had what I needed when I needed it (DVD-Rs and stuff like that). I just made it a point to avoid contact with anyone in a red shirt there.
                I guess that's why I'll miss them and some of my friends won't. All I expect from employees is to be competent stock clerks and get me though the check out line. Anything more is a bonus. What I need in a store is to have it on the shelf. Just looking a the square footage, there's no way the other super stores can do what CompUSA had.

Comment

We were at the point, a month ago, when we needed to buy a new iMac, and the model and software needed WASN'T available at Apple, but it was at CompUSA. Incredibly, the CUSA guy knew exactly what I was talking about, and the folks at the Apple store didn't — or pretended they didn't.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Fry's. Please please please.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      Fry's. Please please please.
                      wouldn't that be fantastic?!? that would make my christmas!
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Or Harbor Freight
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I was home (Oahu) over the weekend and we visited CompUSA in Pearl City. The liquidation led me there, the realization that there were no deals sent me walking out purchasing only ink for our printer and a backpack for my laptop. It will be a waiting game to watch the sales percentages increase, and then it'll be a madhouse!
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

went to the hon branch today and like everyone's said, i didn't see any real bargains. sure, 10% off most things but that isn't much to get excited about...
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              If you mean because we demand a specific brand? I guess.
                              That's what I thought.

I'm not sure as I'd call it extorting from the retailer's point of view. They sell at full price so they get more profit per unit sold.
                              Exactly how much percentage of the retail price they get to pocket?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I guess that's why I'll miss them and some of my friends won't. All I expect from employees is to be competent stock clerks and get me though the check out line. Anything more is a bonus. What I need in a store is to have it on the shelf. Just looking a the square footage, there's no way the other super stores can do what CompUSA had.
                                Yeah, at least you CAN ask a stupid question there without getting a rolleye or get shooed.
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X