Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Exactly how much percentage of the retail price they get to pocket?
    No clue. But if they cut the price, then I'd imagine that affect their profit per unit since it's unlikely they are getting it that much cheaper then the other stores.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
      went to the hon branch today and like everyone's said, i didn't see any real bargains. sure, 10% off most things but that isn't much to get excited about...
      Well, if you've got a gift card or store credit, I think now is the time to spend it. Because whatever you are waiting for others are likely to want too. If you go later, you may not find anything you really want.

If you're not in a "spend or loose" situation and there's nothing you have to have, then you can afford to sit back and play vulture.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Well, if you've got a gift card or store credit, I think now is the time to spend it. Because whatever you are waiting for others are likely to want too. If you go later, you may not find anything you really want.

If you're not in a "spend or loose" situation and there's nothing you have to have, then you can afford to sit back and play vulture.
        When I was in the Kakaako store the other day, they had big signs everywhere saying "We will not accept CompUSA credit" or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
          When I was in the Kakaako store the other day, they had big signs everywhere saying "We will not accept CompUSA credit" or something like that.
          I understand that to mean that they will not accept a CompUSA branded Credit-card. They had no problems accepting my CompUSA store-credit card. Before I bought, other employees that I talked to said "use it, use it now".

Comment

Though I've read in online forums that they're honoring gift cards throughout the liquidation, I went down to my local store and promptly used up my remaining $200 in store credit/GC the day after the acquisition/store closings were announced. Had too many bad customer service experiences there already to risk getting stuck holding the bag with worthless credit. (I'm still PO'd about having a gift certificate for a golf store that went out of business before I could use it - and that was ten years ago!)

Funny thing is I bought a portable GPS on sale that last weekend of "regular" business, the price of which was actually went up after the "liquidation" began.

Comment

The only problems I had with CompUSA is they didn't follow the common business model of "the customer is always right", which my grandfather even as a banker tried to accommodate. Cases in point, many times the stock crew would put the DVD's and items on the wrong shelf with the wrong prices. I would then attempt to buy the product only to get the excuse that they had placed either the wrong price next to the item or had stocked it incorrectly. I can see this happening once as a customer, but it happened to me around 5 times and I even talked to the manager and they refused to budge on the price saying it was a mistake, well not my problem, they should sell the item at the price it is listed at that time until someone like me finds the mistake and ultimately saves them money and further troubles. This I did not like about CompUSA and perhaps some of this bad business Karma came to bite them back.

Aj

Comment

Five times?

Are you sure you didn't switch the stock while no one was looking?
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I'm really, really hoping for a Frys.
                  That would be sweet.
                  I miss Fry's.
                  Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Five times?

Are you sure you didn't switch the stock while no one was looking?
                    Even if I did do that, CompUSA would still not honor the price.

Doing things like that to your customers catch up to you eventually in business.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      The only problems I had with CompUSA is they didn't follow the common business model of "the customer is always right", which my grandfather even as a banker tried to accommodate. Cases in point, many times the stock crew would put the DVD's and items on the wrong shelf with the wrong prices. I would then attempt to buy the product only to get the excuse that they had placed either the wrong price next to the item or had stocked it incorrectly. I can see this happening once as a customer, but it happened to me around 5 times and I even talked to the manager and they refused to budge on the price saying it was a mistake, well not my problem, they should sell the item at the price it is listed at that time until someone like me finds the mistake and ultimately saves them money and further troubles. This I did not like about CompUSA and perhaps some of this bad business Karma came to bite them back.

Aj
                      This happened to me once. I went in (with a former co-worker) and there was a printer that was priced at $85, instead of $185 so we went to the counter and purchased it. We made a stink about the price which clearly stated it was $85 and we went round and round with the manager of the Kakaako store about this for about an hour until he finally gave us the item at the price and he had a stockperson go change the price. We even took the manager to the shelf where the sticker was marked at $85, but he was reluctant to give ground. It was their mistake, so we bought a second printer before they changed the sticker, and the manager was not happy. Not our fault it was mislabeled!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Doing things like that to your customers catch up to you eventually in business.

Aj
                        Yep. And low and behold CompUSA is folding....
                        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Poking around the store today I saw some hard drives that I don't remember being there before. So some outside stock might be getting shipped in to get closed out. Hey, if you're having a fire sale at a chain and can get some overstock cheap, why not sell it at well?

Comment

So what, am I the only vulture making regular visits? Anyone got anything they wanted?

Comment

I went last week and I think I might go either Sunday or Monday to see what's what.

Comment

We visited the PC location this past Sunday, and the sign read 30% off. Our monitor was slowly dying and we were looking for a deal. All of the displays are being sold at low prices, but according to the CompUSA dude, it's being done so by the vendors. In fact, he said much of the cheaper items were being unloaded by local vendors who won't be able to sell their products elsewhere.

Hah?

We purchased an LCD display, memory card for the digital camera, and an upgrade for Anti-Virus software all at 15% off.

The same guy said that they will be officially closing their doors, "sometime in February."
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X