Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

The downtown store has plenty of iMacs, but Apple stuff is only 5 percent off!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
      In fact, he said much of the cheaper items were being unloaded by local vendors who won't be able to sell their products elsewhere.

Hah?
      I'm seeing some things in the store that I don't remember being there before. A number of those small LCD photo devices for example. I suspect that the liquidators are opportunists that grab up more things for quick sale. They've got a chain of stores, they might as well use it.

The PC store has a lot more selection then the Honolulu one. PC still has stuff that Honolulu sold out a couple of weeks ago. Tonight I got Quicken Deluxe at 20% off. I've also picked up a USB to serial converter that's said to be compatible with everything (anyone who's played with those know they can be hit or miss.)

An employee claimed that other stores will close earlier and send their stock to them, so more stuff may show up.

It's interesting to see what's piling up on the shelfs. They've got isles of store brand media. (I don't think I'd touch it if it was free. I value my time and reliability.)

Comment

a coworker of mine also works part time at compusa.

other stores in the nation are sending their stuff to hawaii. hawaii's nimitz store was the best performer of the region, sometimes outselling the other stores combined.

you're not going to see huge discounts on stuff for a while.

store won't close til march-april.

or that's what he told me.

regarding gift cards/certificates...my understanding is that merchants are required to give all customers enough notice that they can come in and make good on such gc's. l'uraku is currently being sued by the state re the gift certificate law:

The state Office of Consumer Protection has filed suit against Chikara Yanagiya and World Hawaii Inc., owners and operators of the now-defunct L'Uraku restaurant, for violating the state's gift certificate law.

The suit alleges that the restaurant sold gift certificates with expiration dates of less than two years; that it sold gift certificates up to the date of its Feb. 2007 closure without disclosing its plans to close; and that it has refused to provide refunds to purchasers.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The problem with the gift card is that I don't think you can cash it out - you have to find something you want (or can resell). For the Honolulu store, that's getting slim pickings. But I do think they still have the smaller iPods.

Comment

I'm seeing evidence that stock from other stores are making it's way to Honolulu. I've been told that some from Alaska has shown up. Put it's still rather sparse.

One thing that might be of interest - used machines with 17" CRT $250 w/o OS. Except for the OS, they look like reasonable machines. 1GB of RAM. More then 2GHz P4 CPU.

Also some Flip videos.

Comment

What's the cost of the Flip videos? 512Mb (30 min) or 1Gb (60 min) versions?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                What's the cost of the Flip videos? 512Mb (30 min) or 1Gb (60 min) versions?
                Both were there. I don't remember the price.

Comment

Stopped by CompUSA last night.

Flip video: $95/30min, $119/60min

Maxtor one-touch $439/1.5TB

They still had a few iPods left: 15% off. Including a iPod Touch (I'll bet they won't be there tonight.)

Saw some HD tuner cards and video editing I don't remember seeing before.

They also have a DVD Projector (LCD Projector and DVD Player) Under $700.

Comment

Just got an email ad from CompUSA -- they are now owned by Systemax, who also owns TigerDirect. Verrry interesting.

(edit)
                    Whoops, hold on. Systemax now owns the CompUSA.com web site -- but not the retail stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      Just got an email ad from CompUSA -- they are now owned by Systemax, who also owns TigerDirect. Verrry interesting.

(edit)
                      Whoops, hold on. Systemax now owns the CompUSA.com web site -- but not the retail stores.
                      You're kidding me!? That's not good. I've repaired a few Systemax computers. They are way overblown for what you pay for.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Correct, CompUSA.com is now separate from the stores. I haven't looked at the computers, but for some mice and keyboards, I'm seeing some good prices.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Flip video: $95/30min, $119/60min

They still had a few iPods left: 15% off. Including a iPod Touch (I'll bet they won't be there tonight.)
                          Flip is marked down even more. iPods are now 20% off. (Yes, they still had some.)

What's a Flip Ultra? 60 min Ultra, $143

Comment

Hey, they also had Quicken 2001 on sale!
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              Hey, they also had Quicken 2001 on sale!
                              Hey, at something like $28, it might make some Mac head happy. List price for the current version is $69.

But yeah, they are digging deep for stuff to sell. They're even selling the defective returns.

Comment

went to the PC CompUSA this weekend, got my Norton 360 at 50% off

they also had macbooks and macbook pros at 15% off
                                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X