Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Very limited internet options

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    I just read a recent study by the OECD that says that the US ranks 15th out of 30 countries for broadband penetration and US consumers pay more than people in more than two-thirds of the countries studied. Also, the US ranked among the last regarding speed increases.

Is that study posted on the internet? If so, got the link?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

If Time Warner (or "tw telecom" as they are called now) will do like they did on the mainland and set download/upload caps on their internet plans I might have to switch to Haw Tel DSL. It's a good thing to know that you don't need their phone service. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Is that study posted on the internet? If so, got the link?
        Sorry, I got the info from the magazine called "Information Week" and I threw it away already. Maybe you can Google it or search OECDs website.

Comment

Sorry, I got the info from the magazine called "Information Week" and I threw it away already. Maybe you can Google it or search OECDs website.
          What's OECD?

Comment

What's OECD?
            Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OECD

Comment

Yeah, we pay more for internet service. If I can't pay $20 for DSL, then I won't switch from unlimited dial-up which I'm already paying $20 (tax not include).

Oh, wait. I can ... through Hawaiian Telcom's 3Mbps. The sign-up offer last until June 30.

Comment

Yeah, we pay more for internet service. If I can't pay $20 for DSL, then I won't switch from unlimited dial-up which I'm already paying $20 (tax not include).

Oh, wait. I can ... through Hawaiian Telcom's 3Mbps. The sign-up offer last until June 30.
                I guess your opinion goes with the findings in this study:

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...07-03-01-34-39

The reason it's not like that in Europe is because there is not much price difference between dial-up and broadband there......also, in some areas there is no dial-up available anymore so broadband is the only choice....which is quite common in Europe.....many times you're forced to adopt new technologies even though you don't need to.

Comment

If Time Warner (or "tw telecom" as they are called now) will do like they did on the mainland and set download/upload caps on their internet plans I might have to switch to Haw Tel DSL. It's a good thing to know that you don't need their phone service. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Telecom

In July 1998, Time Warner Telecom became a separate entity and was reorganized into Time Warner Telecom LLC. In May 1999, the company had an initial public offering.

On March 12, 2008, Time Warner Telecom announced it will be changing it's name to tw telecom effective July 1, 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

There is an email address on this page linked below where you can voice your opinion regarding Oceanic Time Warner's monopoly on cable here in Hawaii:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...03011/-1/RSS01

I might be looking into getting Haw Tel as well. However, I do really like Time Warner's phone service.

Comment

I guess your opinion goes with the findings in this study:

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...07-03-01-34-39
                      Not anymore. I just took the $20/month 3Mbps deal from Hawaiian Telcom. Had problems with connecting it in the first few days, but once the local service technician removed an old piece of equipment from the phoneline outside that was there before my time and ignored up till now, my connection is clear and interference-free...

...So far. To be continued...

Anyhoo, is there a broadband deal somewhere in the country or the world that offers less than $19.00 a month?

P.S. Now I gotta wait for HD TV pricetags to come down, as well as improved OTA TV signals from Maui.

Comment

Not anymore. I just took the $20/month 3Mbps deal from Hawaiian Telcom. Had problems with connecting it in the first few days, but once the local service technician removed an old piece of equipment from the phoneline outside that was there before my time and ignored up till now, my connection is clear and interference-free...
                        Please let me know how fast it is and the quality of service. I might be switching as well. Did you have Roadrunner before? How is the comparison?

Comment

Anyhoo, is there a broadband deal somewhere in the country or the world that offers less than $19.00 a month?
                          My friend in Sweden pays $12/month for 2.5Mbps and that includes VoIP service. He could opt for 20Mbps for $45/month, which is currently what I pay for Roadrunner's 4Mbps.

Comment

Please let me know how fast it is and the quality of service. I might be switching as well. Did you have Roadrunner before? How is the comparison?
                            Mind you, this is my very first broadband service, so the jump from 56Kbps dial-up to 3Mpbs DSL is a significant experience from my POV.

I can actually watch most internet videos -- like from YouTube -- a lot better than dial-up. And someone can actually call me even when I'm on the internet.

BTW, what made you think I have Roadrunner?

I'm sure someone out there would smugly respond, "3Mbps? That's nothing compared to 11Mbps!" Big deal. When there is a $20/month 11Mbps deal, I'll take it.

Comment

My friend in Sweden pays $12/month for 2.5Mbps and that includes VoIP service. He could opt for 20Mbps for $45/month, which is currently what I pay for Roadrunner's 4Mbps.
                              I thought cable broadband supposed to be better. Perhaps you're paying for other services (on-site maintenance, etc.)?

Comment

BTW, what made you think I have Roadrunner?

I'm sure someone out there would smugly respond, "3Mbps? That's nothing compared to 11Mbps!" Big deal. When there is a $20/month 11Mbps deal, I'll take it.
                                Sorry, just a guess....majority of the people I know have RR.

I have 4Mbps at home and 10Mbps at work. The 10Mbps connection is blazing fast. I can handle 4Mbps but would like to have 10. It's all about saving time. I do a lot of up- and downloading online so if I could get things done faster I'll have more time for other things.

Comment

Working...
                                X