• Show
Clear All

Re: AT&T/Cingular

Originally posted by Serenity
    IMHO...

I think that Cingular Companies have a very limited supply
    of choices to choose from as far as their phones,
    although I can definatley give them credit,
    the only thing I like most is their "roll over minutes".
    I went to their store in Wahiawa to pay my bill, well,
    to my surprise, I endded getting Pissed off the more, because
    their system is not set that way. I know that with AT & T wireless,
    I could do it before. SIGH!. Regardless of the switch with cingular,
    I think I will (maybe) still keep my original phone, their freebie phone
    that I am able to change over, really SUCKS BIG TIME
    & the other phones that I might like to transfer later, will cost me more!
    I just got my new phone that I am finally happy with, & they go off &
    change companies!. Personally you wont want to hear what I feel
    & what I have to say about that & about them!.

BTW... the NOKIA phones that they have is really UGLY!,
    & they need more & much better phones to choose from
    as far as the freebie ones!.

I thought AT&T did away with in-store bill payments over a year ago or more? Can someone else confirm this? I haven't had service with them for at least a year.

As far as the "free phone," it may be free to the consumer, but it costs each wireless carrier a chunk of money.

Say for instance the free Nokia phone that phone carriers give out, they charge the company at least 200.00 for that phone, and in turn give it to the customer for free, the catch? You are required to sign a contract, most times a two-year agreement.

This is the only way the wireless carrier can get their money back, that's why wireless salespeople push the "extra stuff" like picture messaging, internet access, text messaging, or mobile-to-mobile minutes.

Now, what happens if during that contract you want to switch phones again? You'll either have to pay full price for the phone, or agree to extend your contract again, to get a discounted price.

Up until last year, Sprint PCS was the only wireless carrier to sell phones with out a discounted price, in theory, you could buy a new phone as often as you wanted, and it didn't affect your contract, and Sprint wasn't losing money on the phone either.

Currently, things are still the same, but now they offer new customers a $150.00 savings on a phone, and current customers can take advantage of this if they've been using the same phone for 18 months.

So, whether we all realize it or not, wireless phones aren't that cheap, and the free one, isn't exactly free.

FYI, I used to work in the wireless industry up until two years ago, currently, I use Nextel, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint PCS.

Comment

hinokei...

I guess it was a long time ago that I was able to have an in-store bill payment,
      & I thought that they still continue this service. Sorry.

Thank you for the great information that you passed on.
      Perhaps I should choose my words more carefully, next time.
      I just didn't realize all that information that the company had to go through.

Thank you.
      Aloha.
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

IMHO...

I think that Cingular Companies have a very limited supply
        of choices to choose from as far as their phones,
        although I can definatley give them credit,
        the only thing I like most is their "roll over minutes".
        I went to their store in Wahiawa to pay my bill, well,
        to my surprise, I endded getting Pissed off the more, because
        their system is not set that way. I know that with AT & T wireless,
        I could do it before. SIGH!. Regardless of the switch with cingular,
        I think I will (maybe) still keep my original phone, their freebie phone
        that I am able to change over, really SUCKS BIG TIME
        & the other phones that I might like to transfer later, will cost me more!
        I just got my new phone that I am finally happy with, & they go off &
        change companies!. Personally you wont want to hear what I feel
        & what I have to say about that & about them!.

BTW... the NOKIA phones that they have is really UGLY!,
        & they need more & much better phones to choose from
        as far as the freebie ones!.
        If you want good phones, shop at ebay, and find one you like (making sure that its compatible with the frequency type with your carrier) and unlock it.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          If you want good phones, shop at ebay, and find one you like (making sure that its compatible with the frequency type with your carrier) and unlock it.
          That's cool idea.
          If I get one from ebay,
          then how do I unlock it?

Is it legal to get one from ebay?

Have you seen some good ones(other than flip phones w/camera(s)?

I just want a simple phone w/o all that camera stuff on it.
          Aches & Pains

Comment

That's cool idea.
            If I get one from ebay,
            then how do I unlock it?

Is it legal to get one from ebay?

Have you seen some good ones(other than flip phones w/camera(s)?

I just want a simple phone w/o all that camera stuff on it.
            The Motorola V180 (tmobile and other GSM providers have that phone) is good (and at $135 at motorola.com its a good deal). Its a color flip phone with a speakerphone.

Nokia's 6010 (the upgraded version of its 3595) is also a good color phone, but its a candy bar form factor, so the screen will get scratched easily.

Motorola's v300 is $300 (at motorola.com), but it does have a fairly good camera (it won't take any small text, but its a bit blurry as from what I could see).

If you want more information on phones, go to Howardforums.com, where they have a place for questions like this (BTW, they have some local people there, so you might get lucky and get someone who can go to the mall with you).
            (sorry for the advertising, but I'm not a messenger. I tell it as it is, and if you want more info, then just go to that site, as I'm not looking for a phone right now).

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              The Motorola V180 (tmobile and other GSM providers have that phone) is good (and at $135 at motorola.com its a good deal). Its a color flip phone with a speakerphone.

Nokia's 6010 (the upgraded version of its 3595) is also a good color phone, but its a candy bar form factor, so the screen will get scratched easily.

Motorola's v300 is $300 (at motorola.com), but it does have a fairly good camera (it won't take any small text, but its a bit blurry as from what I could see).

If you want more information on phones, go to Howardforums.com, where they have a place for questions like this (BTW, they have some local people there, so you might get lucky and get someone who can go to the mall with you).
              (sorry for the advertising, but I'm not a messenger. I tell it as it is, and if you want more info, then just go to that site, as I'm not looking for a phone right now).
              Thank so verrrry much!. You are so helpful!.
              Consider that, your early christmas gift to me.

Thank you so very much, again.
              Hope I can somehow return the favor someday.

Aloha & Take Care.
              Aches & Pains

Comment

Last week, Cingular announced it was trimming 7,000 employees from its merged ATT/Cingular workforce. Here's hoping most of the cuts will come in administrative and managerial jobs and not in the area of tech support or their help desk!

Miulang

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5...tag=zdnn.alert
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                  Well, that might not be the last. Now that we have two large wireless companies with deep pockets, I'm sure they'll have resources to expand the network and offer compeititive call packages that would make it harder for the smaller wireless companies to match.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why Cingular and AT&T Wireless merged... to be able to compete with Verizon Wireless.
                  Sprint and Nextel possibly merging? As I said, it looks like the wireless carriers are joining forces. Now, if only Nextel can help Sprint build a decent network...

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                    Sprint and Nextel possibly merging? As I said, it looks like the wireless carriers are joining forces. Now, if only Nextel can help Sprint build a decent network...
                    I wanted Nextel to merge with Tmobile.

If this continues, then Tmobile might want to merge with Verizon (which is a very bad idea).

Comment

Cingular to change name back to AT&T

Source

Cingular will be sold under name of AT&T
                      By Leslie Cauley, USA TODAY
                      NEW YORK — SBC, which closed its merger with AT&T on Friday, plans to sell Cingular Wireless under the fabled AT&T name, Ed Whitacre, the chairman and CEO of the combined company, has confirmed to USA TODAY.

SBC will sell Cingular Wireless under AT&T.
                      AFP files

Cingular, the USA's No. 1 wireless company, is 60% owned by the new AT&T; BellSouth controls 40%.

SBC recently said it would adopt AT&T's name, putting to rest questions about what would happen to the famous name. But speculation had also swirled about what would happen to the Cingular brand name once the AT&T deal closed.

In an interview with USA TODAY on Friday, Whitacre left no doubt about his plans. Asked if the company planned to drop the Cingular name in favor of the AT&T brand, Whitacre said, "Yes, we do."

Whitacre said AT&T might still use the Cingular name in some markets. But the overall plan, he said, is to use the AT&T name to market all the company's products — local, long-distance, wireless, data and video.

He conceded that the move could strain AT&T's relationship with BellSouth. The two carriers have worked to promote Cingular as a national brand. But for now at least, BellSouth isn't resisting.

BellSouth spokesman Jeff Battcher says anything that boosts Cingular's revenue is good for BellSouth. "This is not an issue," he said Sunday.

Whitacre also sees a silver lining, of sorts, for BellSouth. If the switch to the AT&T name helps attract customers to the wireless company, he noted, both carriers will benefit.

The Cingular decision is the first of what will likely be a string of strategic changes for the new AT&T. As a regional carrier, SBC focused mostly on its 13-state footprint. Now that it's tethered to AT&T, it has a global reach.

For SBC, getting to the finish line was a major achievement. The merger was announced Jan. 31. Since then, SBC and AT&T have worked to earn the blessing of state and federal regulators.

Regulators in California — the last state — approved the AT&T-SBC merger Friday, allowing the deal to close. SBC, as expected, promptly adopted the AT&T name.

---------------------------------------------

Now, if Hawaiian Telcom would change its wireless division to GTE Hawaiian Telecom, or Tmobile to PowerTel (or Voicestream) then I'd be happy.

Comment

Re: Cingular to change name back to AT&T

Hawaiian Telecom as you know has really bad wireless products out there ever since divesting themselves from Verizon.

Quite a few middle managers from the phone marts were released only to be replaced with new managers with Cingular experience. They in turn have been hiring new sales associates with background with Cingular.

Don't be surprized if Hawaiian Telecom's wireless sector has an affiliation with Cingular/AT&T.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Merger Approval Means Cingular Will Be Renamed AT&T

Immediately after the approval was announced, AT&T posted information on how the merger will affect its various businesses including Cingular. Cingular is a joint venture of AT&T and BellSouth. The company will begin to rebrand Cingular as AT&T in early 2007, however it might not call the service AT&T Wireless.
                          quoted source

Let me get this straight: ATT bought Cingular and rebranded its wireless to Cingular, then ATT bought BellSouth which is now renaming Cingular back to ATT? O_o

*gets ice pack for his head*

Comment

Re: Merger Approval Means Cingular Will Be Renamed AT&T

Actually, Cingular was formed from a joint venture between SBC and BellSouth in 2001. Cingular then bought out AT&T Wireless in 2004. In 2005, SBC bought AT&T and decided to rename itself as AT&T. Therefore, Cingular now is a joint venture between the new AT&T and BellSouth. And now that AT&T is buying out BellSouth, Cingular will be wholly owned by AT&T. Confusing enough?

If anything, all of this is merely AT&T trying to become whole again. In 1984, anti-trust rulings broke AT&T into 7 regional Bells - Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis, Southwestern Bell, & US West. Only Bell Atlantic which acquired GTE to form Verizon and US West acquired by Qwest remain out of AT&T's hands.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Actually, Cingular was formed from a joint venture between SBC and BellSouth in 2001. Cingular then bought out AT&T Wireless in 2004. In 2005, SBC bought AT&T and decided to rename itself as AT&T. Therefore, Cingular now is a joint venture between the new AT&T and BellSouth. And now that AT&T is buying out BellSouth, Cingular will be wholly owned by AT&T. Confusing enough?
                              *head explodes*
                              If anything, all of this is merely AT&T trying to become whole again. In 1984, anti-trust rulings broke AT&T into 7 regional Bells - Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis, Southwestern Bell, & US West. Only Bell Atlantic which acquired GTE to form Verizon and US West acquired by Qwest remain out of AT&T's hands.
                              And a few years down the road, the FCC will deem that the new(er) ATT has too much control and will again break everyone apart. LOL

Comment

Does this mean the "death star" logo returns?

Comment

Working...
                                X