Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Has The Second Slowest Internet Speeds

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    I talked to Hawaiian Telcom a few days ago and was considering switching to their internet since their offer was 11Mbps for the price of 3Mbps. Well, my intentions were shattered when I found out that the lines to my house only supports 1.5Mbps. How ancient!!!
    As far as I recall only 25% of HT's customers can qualify for 11Mbps service and 33% can qualify for 7Mbps service. I'm one of the lucky few that can qualify for 11Mbps service (I live about 3500 feet from the central office).

I believe the max distance from the CO/RT for 11Mbps service is 6000 feet, 8000 feet for 7Mbps service, 13000 feet for 3Mbps service and 18000 feet for 1.5Mbps service.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Horrible that Kaneohe does not have the fastest option. I find it very appalling that HT's fiber is to poor outside of Honolulu.

Comment

From this morning's Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...902030317/1071

Comment

Hahaha, I was laughing when I read HTs response that they have plans to increase speeds as well. Of course they do. I would hope they weren't going to keep 1.5Mbps permanently.

I really agree with Governor Lingle. High speed connectivity and accessibility of the Internet is vital to Hawaii's economic future. Being an island in the middle of the pacific we need to make sure we are well connected to the rest of the world. The Internet really enables rural small business to reach the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            One more thing....they really need to improve upload speeds as well. Upload speeds really makes a difference for businesses and for some reason they are always lagging.

Comment

I highly doubt that HT will be able to effectively compete against these speed increase until they make their existing services more widely available. As it stands now the majority of their customers can't qualify for either the 7Mbps or 11Mbps services. This was a huge reason why they applied for USF funding to reduce loop lengths.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                I highly doubt that HT will be able to effectively compete against these speed increase until they make their existing services more widely available.
                Odd. The link to the HA story seems to be older then the one I read in the paper. The paper itself had more info on HT. Yes, they are working on getting more equipment out there. Since DSL is distance limited, one has to set up more site to get more users within the service range.

Comment

I think HT is focusing too much on their landline phone service. People who want to switch to something else WILL switch and people who prioritize the benefits of a landline WILL stay. There's not much their ads and promos can do about it. Instead, they should give more attention to their Internet and cell phone businesses.

Comment

Working...
                  X