X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anapuni808
    replied
    Re: Flat panel TVs

a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Sony Bravia 32" and am very happy with it. I don't have HD because I share sattelite service through my landlord and he is still deciding whether he wants to pay for the extra costs. I hope he does because I'd like to be able to enjoy the full services of the TV. I switched from a Mitsubishi 27" analog that was about 14 yrs. old.

Leave a comment:

• Composite 2992
    replied

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Is there a visual difference between a 32-inch 720p and 32-inch 1080p?

I thought the minimum screen size for a 1080p is 42-inch.
    Depends on how close you're sitting:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

It's possible to have a 1080p screen that's 23". The Apple Cinema display can give a full-resolution HD image with a pixel count of 1920 x 1200 pixels. But it seems that most TV's don't use LCD's with that kind of resolution and are usually larger before they get that many pixels in the matrix.

Tutusue: I didn't want to mention brands because Sony is almost always one of the best

Sometimes it's possible to find another brand that performs as well or nearly as well. But it takes patience and a lot of watching to find them.

That said, if I were to buy one, I'd probably get a Sony. And if I had the money I'd want to get a screen 50" or larger, and forget about going to the movies. We recently got a 26" Vizio for the bedroom. The image quality was pretty good for the price.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

I have a 40" Sony Bravia and love it. The HD channels are incredible to my ol' tutu eyes! Actually, everyone, without exception, who has been to my place has remarked on the picture. The digital stations look great, too.

Thanks for the buying tips, Composite. I'm gonna hang on to those!

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Is there a visual difference between a 32-inch 720p and 32-inch 1080p?

I thought the minimum screen size for a 1080p is 42-inch.

Leave a comment:

• Composite 2992
    replied

Anyone remember when a 20" TV console was considered large?

Here's a few buying tips:

Look at several screens at once. Try to avoid noticing the brand name as it might influence your decision. As you go down the list you can start to eliminate some TV's early in the process.

Is the set 1080p? If not, then it won't be able to display a true HD image. Full HD is 1920 x 1080 pixels. 1080p is "progressive frame" or an entire full frame 30 times per second. 1080i is "interlaced" or two half-resolution "fields" 60 times a second. Either way works well, although "progressive" frame is more like film in some ways. OC16 is planning to broadcast some of its locally produced programs in 1080i sometime soon on channel 1016.

Look at the white areas. Are they truly white or are they tinged with some color like cyan, magenta, blue, red or green?

Same with the black areas. Are they deep black? Bluish? Dark grey?

Do shadowy areas have visible detail or are they just featureless blobs of black?

Look at the highlights on skin tones. Do they contain detail, or do they look like washed-out white spots?

Does skin tone look like skin or does it look like plastic off a mannequin?

How much does the quality of the image change when you're off-axis? Check left-to-right and up-and-down.

Take your time. Eventually you'll start to notice the differences.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Picked up a Magnavox 19" LCD (model #: 19MF338B) from Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago for around $240 (which includes tax). It's does not do HD tho. I don't think my place could not support a TV bigger than 22 to 24 inches.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    started a topic Flat panel TVs

Flat panel TVs

I've been looking around at getting a new flat panel plasma or LCD set between 42-50" at Sears, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Any opinions on SONY Bravia, VIZIO, and SHARP AQUOS lines? Saw a couple of SHARPS at around $1000 in the 46" size. Costco has a coupon special on the VIZIO XVT 47" good through the 25th of this month.
Working...
X