Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7

I bought a 3 license upgrade for Win 7 Home Premium the other day from Best Buy for $149. Then someone showed me the other day that Microsoft has student deals. One particularly involving Win 7 professional for 30 bucks and Office 2007 for 59. Go to Microsoft and search Ultimate Steal. You have to have an edu type email address for verification. If you are a student or have kids who are students.. go git. I wish I did before I went and bought it at BB.

I am impressed. In my opinion, its like right between Vista and Snow Leopard as far as speed and features are concerned. I have only played with it a day or so and I love it so far. (I use my Mac a bit more) I agree that its what Vista should have been or Vista v2.

Note: I've always reformatted my computers and reinstalled their OS' every 6 months or so. My main laptop install used to take hours to reinstall Vista because I'd have to install drivers that Vista didn't catch. With Win 7, it installed EVERYTHING. Installation was done in an hour.

Comment

Normally, I'm the cautious type who likes to wait 6 months or even a year to upgrade my OS so that all the bugs can be worked out. But when Best Buy offered both free Windows 7 software and installation on the PC (with Vista) that I purchased from them a month ago, I decided to go for it.

Aside from a couple of driver incompatibility issues with regards to video playback and sound devices (all of which I eventually managed to resolve successfully), everything seems to be running okay. And the new security enhancements give me added peace of mind.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      and PS - you weren't all that polite.
      Just my opinion, but I didn't think find anything impolite about Stinky's or Amati's postings. Or did I miss something?
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 1, 2009, 10:53 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Talk about excited! I had an older Pentium II computer that just can't run XP so it sat collecting dust in my storage shed. The other day I find a copy of Windows 98SE and a Windows ME upgrade disk at the Salvation Army for $1.05 and installed it on this computer and for some reason I feel giddy about it. ME is so unstable but heck there are still drivers out there for it. It's nice to get old stuff up and running again.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Does Win7 have a fax function? XP had WinFax, but Vista Home did not (Business did).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Automated help for W7

www.support.microsoft.com/gp/mats
            Intro - www.bit.ly/oA0Ae
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I suscribe to the Kim Kommando newsletter and find some of the articles interesting. I thought this one on Windows 7 Security features was decent and want to share it with everyone.

Comment

**bump**

Has anyone tried out Windows 7 yet? and I'm wondering if there is anyplace that will give info on compatibility of my current M/S programs with Win 7?

thanks!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

**bump**
                  Has anyone tried out Windows 7 yet? and I'm wondering if there is anyplace that will give info on compatibility of my current M/S programs with Win 7?
                  thanks!
                  Ironically, my upgrade DVD is in the snail mail.

No rush, though-- I'm going to let a few million more guinea pigs keep testing it. So far the only really annoying things in Vista are its oxymoronic "user access control" and the lack of a fax program. Hard to see it as an XP upgrade, and I'm not looking forward to a similar frustrating experience with upgrading yet again to Win 7. Most days I seem to spend more time on "maintenance" than "use".

To handle all the details of your question, you could download & run the Upgrade Advisor:
                  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-2497c146af15
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    I suscribe to the Kim Kommando newsletter
                    Kim Kommando is much hotter than Sarah Palin.......... and a whole bunch smarter too!
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Has anyone tried out Windows 7 yet?
                      Right now no. At best I am window shopping for a new desktop based computer to replace my 5 year old Compaq. At this point in time all of the new systems would be running Windows 7 so upgrading won't be an issue for me.

One thing I am looking out for is the Hyperterm application which was included in Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional operating systems, but was not included in Windows Vista. I am just wondering if the application is included in Windows 7?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        One thing I am looking out for is the Hyperterm application which was included in Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional operating systems, but was not included in Windows Vista. I am just wondering if the application is included in Windows 7?
                        According to this, it is now available for Windows 7 (and Vista). I stumbled upon this when I googled to find out what "Hyperterm" is.

Comment

Available yes, but my question was is this application included with Windows 7? I suspect it may not be.

Comment

Nords - Thank you so much for finding that link for me. I tried to find something yesterday and was not successful. I just got through running the test and found that most of my software will have "issues". My main concern was the M/S Office 2003 Pro package that I have. It says I need to get another service pack for it which is an easy fix but some of my other stuff is just not gonna work.

My reason for the question is that I'm hoping to buy a laptop after Xmas, which will probably have Win 7 installed on it. Since my current budget will not allow for all new software, I may have some problems but nothing that can't be worked through somehow.

Thanks again!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              Available yes, but my question was is this application included with Windows 7? I suspect it may not be.
                              Yeah, Hyperterm's not there anymore. There are free alternatives out there you can download and use. I use PuTTY.

Comment

Hyperterminal = Digital Equipment Company (DEC) VT-100 terminal emulation

Comment

Working...
                                X