No announcement yet.

Geolocation: The next social frontier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geolocation: The next social frontier?

Now that we're well beyond the advent of "Web 2.0," where two-way and open conversation and social networks are becoming the basis of a "new world order," folks are looking ahead to the next big thing. For many, that next frontier is geolocation. Beyond "who do you know?" and "what are you doing?" we're coming to "where are you doing it?"

We've talked about BrightKite before, which remains one of my favorite social geolocation services. Check in and share notes and photos on the places you go, and see where your friends are or have been. Other players include the wireless-provider backed Loopt (which is largely limited to people you already contact via phone) and even Google's dabbling with Google Latitude (whereas Yahoo! is pushing Fire Eagle).

But that's just checking in, pinging a spot to say, "I am here!" And already it's not interesting enough for some folks.

The hot service of the moment is FourSquare. You still check in and share when you go someplace, but there are also points, so you can earn badges for specific combinations of activity. And if you visit a place often enough, you become a "mayor." And already some businesses are working with FourSquare to offer deals to users, encouraging people to patronize the place (i.e. 10 percent off if you check in here, 20 percent off if you're the mayor).

I'm eager to use it. But FourSquare is only supported in certain cities. Presumably cool cities with an active nightlife. I've been suggesting Honolulu, so far to no avail. So I'm just pretending to be in San Diego while we wait for 'em to grow.

Fortunately, there are other services with similar models. A more open attempt is GraffitiGeo (recently acquired by Loopt). You can set up spots, check in to them, and add comments or reviews. Check in somewhere often enough, and you're declared a "CEO" (instead of "mayor"). You can also earn badges, form "mobs" and dominate "territories." It's got a much smaller user base, though, and a less polished interface. Your "friends" are connected only through Facebook. But I've had fun with it. My profile is here.

And there's also Gowalla, which is my current favorite. They suck you in with a brilliant user interface with gorgeous icons, but there's a lot going on under the hood. As with the other services, you can create spots, check in, and add comments. You can easily see a stream of your friends' activities. Spots have "top users," rather than a "CEO" or "mayor." And instead of "badges," you earn "stamps" on a virtual passport.

And a neat feature is the addition of "items," or virtual prizes or tokens. When I check into a spot, I can drop an item (say, some candy or a toy train), and a future visitor can pick it up, or swap it for something they have. This reminds me of the "travel bugs" that geocachers move around the globe. It's only a half-baked feature now, but it'd be interesting to eventually see how a specific virtual item moves about a city, and who interacts with it.

Here's my profile on Gowalla. Won't you be my friend?

Obviously, getting into geolocation and adding a "where" dimension to social networks can be just as scary as it is fun. There's obviously a lot of commentary out there about giving up privacy, or even safety, as people project their whereabouts on the web. But I like that services like these are doing one thing most people criticize avid social network users for avoiding: getting out of the house and meeting actual people.

Though you wouldn't believe it, I have a loner streak in me that, left to my own devices, would have me end up in a mountain cabin, stroking a long beard and caring for twenty cats while I typed angry manifestos on a manual typewriter. Since the advent of "online communities," going back to dial-up BBSes, I've actually considered the social aspect to be among the most valuable parts of technology. Now, even I'm sometimes forcing myself, I'm meeting with, interacting with, and learning from people from all walks of life. People that I probably wouldn't have even known existed without the web.

So "where are you" is a good thing, on balance. Because I'm more motivated than most now to try and have an interesting answer to the question!

Thoughts?

Re: Geolocation: The next social frontier?

I thought GraffitiGeo was a cool idea but I can't for the life of me find a "sign up" link on the website. It looks like a cool merging of Yelp and Brightkite; yet it seems to be a service aimed only at iPhone/Android/Blackberry users. The website is not Windows Mobile friendly, or at least not friendly toward WinMo 5.0. Disappointing.

I do enjoy the geolocation services. Brightkite was a favorite of mine but since it revamped the website it hasn't been nearly as much fun, especially since the mobile site won't sign me in anymore. Frustrating.

What I liked about FourSquare right off was that it seemed to encourage using it so that you could get together with other FourSquare users wherever you happened to be. There's some of that with Brightkite (which recently began encouraging "kite-ups"), too.

I need a phone upgrade, quite obviously.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I thought GraffitiGeo was a cool idea but I can't for the life of me find a "sign up" link on the website.
      Alas, most of these services are device specific, and only a few have web interfaces (BrightKite and Plazes come to mind -- I used to be a heavy user of Plazes, but they dropped off the radar for me). Because there is a "game" element to the latest generation, obviously they don't want you to be able to "check in" to a place where you're not actually located. Now that HTML5 and other web technologies are bringing GPS and location data to browsers, hopefully the potential uses of these services will grow beyond phones and gadgets.

Between GraffitiGeo and Gowalla, though, I'm leaning toward the latter. GraffitiGeo seems a bit kludgy, the app crashes often, and now that they're a Loopt property, I'm not sure if any time invested in mapping out locations in the standalone system will be wasted should the team just be swallowed up by Loopt's competing service.
      I do enjoy the geolocation services. Brightkite was a favorite of mine but since it revamped the website it hasn't been nearly as much fun, especially since the mobile site won't sign me in anymore. Frustrating.
      Hmm. I hope you filed a problem report or two! They were down for almost a week with their latest upgrade, and I, too, don't like the new layout (and this is on the iPhone side). The UI got worse, not better, which is unusual.
      What I liked about FourSquare right off was that it seemed to encourage using it so that you could get together with other FourSquare users wherever you happened to be.
      Right. I'm sure FourSquare will come to Honolulu eventually. For now, I see some users here are creating Honolulu spots under Los Angeles!
      I need a phone upgrade, quite obviously.
      Yes. Yes you do.

Comment

I honestly don't care much about geolocation sites. I don't use them and don't plan to either. Sooner or later people will go back to privacy.
        kiddori

Comment

Privacy still exists, but it is being redefined. I'm not sure how I feel about the new privacy, and I am selective about where and when I broadcast my whereabouts (when I send a BrightKite update telling people I've come home, the message that gets broadcast is, "I am at Grendelsmere: House of Metal and Awesomeness," not "I am at [address]"), but there are some great stories about how some of these new tools have really helped people out of bad situations. The Twitter thread tells some of these stories, and I'm excited about the really cool ways these services can be used, especially the ways that haven't yet been discovered.

If it's not for you, it's not for you and there'll be no judgment from me, but I know a lot of people who feel the same way about email or cell phones, and I have to say I think these people are missing out on some terrific benefits.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

For anyone remotely curious about this "geolocation" stuff, I just posted a veritable encyclopedia entry on my blog. Several services and applications are reviewed:

Where Are You?

Sooner or later people will go back to privacy.
            Ironically, I'm also a big stickler about privacy. Early member of the EFF, longtime fan of Bruce Schneier, probably one of the last users of PGP. I still send heavily encrypted emails that are really innocuous nothings, just because I can (and because I like to imagine it makes the NSA nervous).

Privacy is still important. And I have no doubt many people who overshare today will "snap back" someday. But I also think, as scrivener says, the entire definition (and valuation) of privacy is changing.

No one believes me when I say it, but I don't share everything about my life. But yes, I do share a lot. As much as people want to ascribe the growing prevalence of posting the minutiae of our lives to the web as some new age of fame-seeking narcissism, though, I think there's a lot more to it.

Sharing -- with discretion -- builds relationships, and is a part of trust. And having lived a fairly public life online since 1994, there is no doubt in my mind that my life is much richer for it. For the people I've connected with, and formed communities with, and admired, and learned from, and become friends with... I simply can't imagine how life would be without this increasingly pervasive social network. Are these people my best friends? No. But even the faintest links, in aggregate, make for an interesting world.

Comment

Seven months later, and it seems HT is pretty much still uninterested in this conversation. One wonders if it is because HT skews slightly mature (in a purely chronological sense, of course!) or if forum people just aren't real-time people. Clearly, geolocation services and activities aren't for everyone, but it seems weird to me that they aren't for ANYone.

On the off-chance that someone here is interested, here's where I am now.

Through no real fault of its own, Brightkite has sort of fallen by the wayside for me. I still like it, but the game facet of Gowalla and FourSquare really appeals to me, and while I will sometimes take a moment to check in with one or two of the services, checking in with three is ridiculous even for me. Since this remains primarily a social activity for me, I'm most likely to use the service my social sphere is most involved with. That means Gowalla and FourSquare. Of course, it was only a matter of time before a service would pop up allowing multiservice check-ins from one app, and a few of these are emerging right now.

I agree with PZ about Gowalla's interface and neat graphics, but until very recently, the app didn't allow for typed-in searches if the place from which you were trying to check in didn't pop up in your location. Given the inaccurate GPS abilities of my phone, this was a huge problem. It's better now; however, I still have difficulty getting Gowalla to find me at least half the time I try to use it. So if I check in with only one service, it is almost always FourSquare.

I like what Yelp has done with its service, and as that community grows it could be the monster in this game, especially given its younger, hipper base. I have yet to try it out myself.

Another service I really like is called Glow. You start the app and are presented with five touchable stars, and your only task is to rank your current mood by touching one, two, three, four, or five stars. The app assigns your mood a color, which appears as a glow on a map. The idea is to present a kind of color-coded overview of how people are feeling in any geographical region. I love this idea, but as far as I can tell, I am the only one on Oahu who's using the app even once in a while.

Perhaps it's interesting to know that I actually had a practical use for FourSquare a few weeks ago. I mentioned to someone at work that I'd seen someone we knew somewhere else. It was very important to that person to know exactly what day I saw the person. I couldn't remember, but I did know that I'd checked in via FourSquare that day. Using the service's website, I looked at my own history and was able to nail down the exact date and time of my encounter. Useful! As if practicality were relevant to this whole thing.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

A memory jogger? Not very useful to me.

I'd guess these apps appeal to gamers and the socially mobile avant-guarde [and I don't qualify on either account].
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                X