Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know an electronic hookup expert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know an electronic hookup expert?

I use Oceanic HighDef cable and have several programs I've saved onto the cable box's DVR and now want to save onto DVDs in order to free up memory on the DVR (and so I don't lose the programs when the cable box crashes, as it frequently does). So today I bought a Samsung DVD recorder but I need someone to help me set it up.
    I tried it myself using their instructions, but didn't get very far. So I called Oceanic's tech department, was on hold for over half an hour, and when someone finally answered they simply said I'd have to call Samsung. Okay. I called Samsung and got through to someone pretty fast, but he was clearly in India and didn't know very much; I was on the phone with him for just under an hour, and finally gave up.
    So, do any of you know an electronics whiz who wants some $$$ and could help?
    Reply here or via PM, whichever you want.
    Mahalo in advance...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Anyone know an electronic hookup expert?

No, I don't. You can't record digitally, because of copyright problems, so you'll have to use an analog hook up to the DVD recorder (if it permits that). But I've never used a DVD recorder, personally.
    Greg

Comment

This Untechie Tutu managed to connect a DVD recorder to my HiDef capable DVR. That was over 3 years ago and I don't recall it being overly complicated. That said, recorder technology might've changed since then. I've had no problems burning programs to DVDs once I discovered that either the DVR or the DVD recorder had to be set to "aux" (I think!). I have a sticky note on my equipment to remind me to do that because it was initially my stumbling block. I'm not in town so can't refer to it right now. Now that I think about it, before I discovered "aux" I did a google search on my DVR make/model # (iirc) and found forums with lots of answers.

Once you get everything connected and you burn the DVD it won't be in HD. In addition, as you're probably aware, recording the HD programs eats up your DVR space. I now record the non HD stations instead of the corresponding HD station. Only while I'm actually watching an HD show while it's airing do I see it in HD.

Comment

I bought one of those hard drive DVD recorders (wish I'd bought 2), so I record to the hard drive, edit and, if I want to save the program, I record the edited version to DVD on the same device. Everyone who views the DVDs is amazed at the quality, 'HD-like'. Of course all the recordings are OTA - I'd never pay for TV [I do donate to PBS, wishing they'd broadcast their full schedule].
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Recorded digital medial typically won't allow you to edit or dub onto another media. Unless it was recorded onto your computer where you have greater ability to use programs that will scan and remove copyright files.

Even with analog outputs (RCA Audio L+R and Video) there are typically copyright protections in place, technology from the old VCR to VCR dubbing machines.

One way to get past the copyright protection is to physically remove the hard drive from the DVR, copy it's entire contents onto a computer where you can extract the media file and convert to a standard AV file. There are a ton of Video Converters out there (one in mind is ANY VIDEO CONVERTER) that does a pretty good job of converting virtually ANY video format into formats for virtually any device and this particular product is FREE!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, I really respect your technology savviness. Can you explain why both my daughter and I can so easily copy/dub/burn/whatever shows from our DVRs to our DVD recorders?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Craig, I really respect your technology savviness. Can you explain why both my daughter and I can so easily copy/dub/burn/whatever shows from our DVRs to our DVD recorders?
              The Sun, Moon, and all the planets musta lined up for ya!

Actually I am surprised you were able to do that. I tried to do that with my DVR and DVD recorder and was hit with the FBI copyright laws. But then again I did have a Sony DVD Recorder who loves to put these kinds of blocks on their media as well as devices from computers to other household appliances such as SONY DVD recorders.

My guess is it comes down to the DVR's manufacturer's decision to place these copyright blocks on their products.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm guessing that if you can connect the yellow (video), red and white cables (for audio) from the DVR to your dvd recorder, you should be able to do it. It works for recording to VHS tape, so it should work for your DVD recorder, however, I have no idea what the video quality will look like. You'd need to use the "Copy to VCR" selection on your dvr and will need to synchronize pressing the record button on your dvd recorder.

This might help. Start on page 12. http://www.relianceconnects.com/guid..._quick_eng.pdf

With all due respect to Craig, do not try to remove the hard drive from your DVR. It's not worth the pain, time and frustration. If you're willing to shell out a few bucks, you might want to research whether this device might help with your specific DVR: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B001UHOR88 I have a Tivo and this works great for me. I don't have any problems with storing a lot of HD content.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  [...] I've had no problems burning programs to DVDs once I discovered that either the DVR or the DVD recorder had to be set to "aux" (I think!). I have a sticky note on my equipment to remind me to do that because it was initially my stumbling block. I'm not in town so can't refer to it right now.[...]
                  Did you resolve your problem, LN?

My info above is incorrect. My DVR's channel needs to be set to AV1 to be able to dub to a DVD.

Comment

Working...
                  X