X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GregLee
    replied
    Re: gadget for reading pdf files?

Amazon puts the Kindle DX, ordinarily $379, on sale from time to time. They had it, together with a cover, for $299 last Wednesday (May 2), and I bought one, which came a few days ago. I haven't yet tried mine with a pdf. If my understanding is correct, you have to pay a fee to transfer a pdf file to the DX wirelessly, though a transfer is free when you use a USB cable from your computer.

My wife and I both like to read outside, so we really need an e-ink device.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I tried putting a Microsoft Word 2010 generated document with an inserted Excel 2010 Spreadsheet that was converted to a PDF document using Adobe Acrobat Pro X to my new Nook Simple Touch. There was a table made by Microsoft Word that didn't come out right but the Excel spreadsheet was displayed okay.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

i'm not in a rush and so i'm hopeful the new products that are coming out will have at least one that meets my needs...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rivals...96839.html?x=0

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

so far, i haven't found anything that comes even close to the screen size of the ipad but the price is ridiculous for what i hope to use it for.

for others who may be interested, i came across this product:

Coby Kyros Internet Touchscreen Tablet

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...en_Tablet.html

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-MID7015-A...4061462&sr=8-1

kinda interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Blubearypye
    replied

the nookcolor is $249 and comes with 8GB and can expand up to 32GB using a MicoSD card.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I don't even know the difference between wi-fi and 3G!
    Based on experience Wi-Fi is a short range wireless (in terms of a couple of hundred of feet), logins and security are dependent on the units that your system is detecting at the time.

3G on the other hand while I have no direct experience it seems that you need to sign up to a carrier to provide your internet service to your system, range is limited to whatever cell phone service is available.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    TS - I've had a Kindle for a couple of months. I totally love it! The portability is great and if you have a smart phone, you can synch it with your reader so you can keep reading your book even without carrying the reader with you. I pretty much use Consumer Reports to get my reviews/ratings and Kindle is top-rated. It also has subs available for newspapers, magazines. and it will soon be enabled to actually read my books to me and also allow me share my books with another Kindle owner.
    Thx anapuni. No smart phone yet! Probably won't get one 'til that's the only style available!!! My daughter has the Kindle and loves it but her needs are different than mine. I don't even know the difference between wi-fi and 3G! Since I'm an Applephile I'd love to get the iPad but refuse to pay that kind of money for what is essentially a toy. I'd love to get away from hard copy magazines and do enjoy color. Decisions. Decisions!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Actually the cheaper Nook ($149) is not a color unit. Off hand I can't remember the cost of the Nook Color but it is al least over $200 for the unit.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Correct. However, I have access to thousands of books that are "out of copyright" to download - and they are all free. So, its basically like the library. The only advantage I can see is that the Nook does have color screen, which would be nice but not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• bueller555
    replied

I don't have one, but the Nook is appealing because it can work with the Overdrive system that the State library system uses. You can download printed books via your library account. The option to get free material is nice. I don't think that the Kindle can do this. http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...okdevices.aspx

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

TS - I've had a Kindle for a couple of months. I totally love it! The portability is great and if you have a smart phone, you can synch it with your reader so you can keep reading your book even without carrying the reader with you. I pretty much use Consumer Reports to get my reviews/ratings and Kindle is top-rated. It also has subs available for newspapers, magazines. and it will soon be enabled to actually read my books to me and also allow me share my books with another Kindle owner.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
    [...]
    oh, an interesting article regarding a number of readers...
    http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-...should-you-buy
    Big mahalos for this link. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

like other devices, the lowest price nook is only 6 inches; i doubt the screen will be large enough but i like your idea; will check it out

oh, an interesting article regarding a number of readers...
    http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-...should-you-buy

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Did you consider the Nook from Barnes & Noble? The cheapest version is around $149. I don't know about reading PDF but you can ask the people at Barnes & Noble. The unit can accept a microSD card so if you want to test some of your PDF it might be possible.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

buzz, i can only assume you're joking! i don't get it; public libraries? i'm asking about portable readers.

honoruru, thanks for your suggestion. off hand, i think 6 inches would be too small but i'll see if i can find one to test the idea. i really wish i could find an ipad that is almost "broken" (no wifi capabilities, no ability to play video, music, display pictures) so that an owner would sell it to me for cheap!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X